Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / version of DARKBASIC for console use ? (playstation,x-box,gamecube,phamtom)

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
hey newcomers ima new comer to. do you honestly whant to be limited to the PC only. They should make a enancement pack for darkbasic that allows you to makes games for the big consoles . C++ is used for lots of stuffwould int be nice if you can make quality games for your favorite consols. I had a hole thing planned out for my game and know i find out the DB wont work for consoles. look im sure you guys and girls dont want to be just limited to just the PC, THERS NOTHING EALSE THAT COMPETS WITH c++ EVERY one will move over to DARKBASIC LETS RALLY TO GETHER
Jonny_S
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2004 20:41
Yeh its not going to happen.............. if you think C++ is so good go learn it, if your not happy with DB dont use it!

Supermonkey - The crime gifhting sex god monkey!
mrmystic
Years of Service
User Offline
..besides you have to pay a license just to be able to program for the console games and it would be way more than a average person could afford. I just don't see it happening. Do a web search about it if you don't believe me.
corsair
Years of Service
User Offline
well The darkbasic company can tell or ask the current consols if its ok they can do the licencing before. and companys like sony and nintendocan check your work and if its good then there you go.. I love darkbasic ...me and a lot of othe people dont whant to use C++ .. AND PC games are converted to console games....
mrmystic
Years of Service
User Offline
Still would not work being the game console makers still require a license fee for the individual games as well. The individual game programmer would still have to pay a fee for every unit or game produced.
Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Feb 2004 23:17
Quote: "well The darkbasic company can tell or ask the current consols if its ok they can do the licencing before"

Not gonna happen, sony, nintendo, and mircosoft don't see it your way
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2004 02:20
Sony, Xbox, and Nintendo are definitely out of the question. Their license fees range from $15,000 to $30,000. When they license, the license is granted to a developer. The Game Creators is a Developer, but then if people in the community wanted to make apps for consoles, that's hundreds of more developers. You also need to prove your worth to the console companies by producing something that did well on a more open market, such as PC.

Somebody did make a Dark Basic Console once. They learned some assembly, put some Microsoft components in there (DirectX of course), and made a little logo appear just like when you turn on your home console. It runs computers games, DB games especially, all it needs it an AUTORUN file. It was pretty cool.

Console games are also making their way to PC more often now.

Juvenile Industries
Current Project: KillZone(FPS)
Soon to come:An rts, and a snowball fight game
TheCyborg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2004 11:37
It's not gonna happen... DarkBASIC uses DirectX wich most consoles (except maybe XBox) does not support (because its a windows ONLY thing).

Member of Tjald - Targeted Joint Addicted Liberation Diplomacy

I am (currently) 42% addicted to Counter-Strike. What about you?
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2004 14:28
Not even for the XBox ... the XBox uses a modified version of 8.1 IIRC

For free Plug-ins, source and the DBPro Interface library for Visual C++ 6 and .NET
http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2004 14:35
If DBPro was to expand to consoles, they would have to fork out lots of money for the SDK etc etc, which means you would have to pay a lot for the expansion pack - which is something I doubt you would want to do. Plus, you would have to pay a lot to distribute any games you would right.

There is nothing wrong with sticking with PC's, after all, most sensible people would have at least one.

The place for all great plug-ins.
XP3000+,1Gb RAM,FX5600,1Mb ADSL,Router,.Net 2003 Pro & me
DARKGuy
Years of Service
User Offline
...yeah you're right....but what about the people who doesn't have the minimum system requeiments for the game they want to install?. For example I can't install Warcraft 3, Ultima IX, The Matrix, Tomb Raider V, Swat 3, MU...so for that's the console, you can play cool games that you can't play in your PC, and with better control than a keyboard...I imagine myself playing Final Fantasy VIII using a keyboard and that will be a disaster...Also, in the consoles you can play even with 4 guys and the speed is the same!. Of course there are straregy games that can't be played on a console (I've played Command & Conquer and Warcraft II in Playstation and I can play it without a mouse ).

My point is: ¿why not to make a DLL that converts your code in C++ and then you compile it with your C++ compiler?

::·· Intel Pentium II 300 Mhz, Sound Blaster AWE 32, 5 Gb HD, SiS 8 Mb video card, Windows 98 and 64 Mb RAM ··::
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2004 16:42
Final Fantasy VIII with the keyboard actually isn't too bad. If you want to make games that have low system requirements, you can sacrifice some features and just use DarkBASIC classic which only requires DirectX7.

Juvenile Industries
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Feb 2004 17:05
Quote: "My point is: ¿why not to make a DLL that converts your code in C++ and then you compile it with your C++ compiler?
"

The closest you can get is to use IanM's DBPro Interface and code everything in C... And then thats only for PC's.

The place for all great plug-ins.
XP3000+,1Gb RAM,FX5600,1Mb ADSL,Router,.Net 2003 Pro & me
Darkflame
Years of Service
User Offline
Phantom maybe, its just a pc-in-a-box-with-tv-out, dispite all the hype.
Should be fairly easy to get normal pc stuff running on it.

A linux version of DBP could open up nice possabilitys though.

(They have got linux working on Xbox and Ps2, and im sure there was a team working on the GC)

Of course, im talking of home-brewing here, not saleing created games.

"The man who says it cannot be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." ~ Elbert Hubbard
zao420
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2004 09:10
this is a basic language for the ps1 called Chipmunk BASIC.. http://psxdev.dragut.net/ but you need to get a dev system set up to work right. you could probally just use an emulator but i haven't check it out to see.

Retro Addict
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2004 17:15
Hey Crazy Donut, where did you hear about the DB console? Just curious. I'd like to see some screenshots....

PC Specs: AMD 1800+ 256M DDR, Geforce MX440 - DB v1.13

To DB or not to DB............duh DB!
John H
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2004 21:16
corsair - Sorry m8 but you dont know what your talking about....making console games is a sticky process to say the least

We need help! Email us! join@eternaldestinyonline.com
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2004 02:02
@_Mike_:
It was in a post similar to this one, you could search the forums for "dark basic console" or "dbc" (the guy called it dbc as in "dark basic console").

Juvenile Industries

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 21:15:22
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 21:15:22