Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Frame rate

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

I'm just want to know what is a aceptable frame rate, between range?

thanks.

felwys
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2004 03:27
In my opinion, anything above 20 frames per second is playable, 60 frames per second is industry standard and thats what many commercial game creators go for.

The problem is change, if in a certain part of your game the frame rate is 60, then in another it drops to 20 it's easily noticeable and quite frustrating. However if your game run's on a constant 20 without change then it's even more playable because at least it's all smoothly. what i'm trying to say is try and make you frames per second value stable about a certain value, and make sure this value is 20 or higher

Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2004 04:04
Good advice, constant framerates are important.

Note: in DBPro, if you use the screen fps() command more than once per loop it returns x2, x3, x4, etc. values each time you ask for it each loop. Do this instead:

fps#=screen fps()

Then use the fps# value as many times as you want.

Xander Moser of Bolt Software
Firewall: Your Computer's First Defense - Real Time Strategy game
[href][/href]
Felwys
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks a lot.

felwys
Fluffy Paul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2004 14:31
Beware of using the FPS to control how fast things happen in your games. If your player moves at 20 units per frame then any slowdown in frame rate will slow down your player.

If this affects you then say something like "The player moves at 3 metres per second". This way you can use the timer() command to check the time at the start of your main loop and again at the end of it and in the next frame calculate how long it took. You can then do some maths e.g.

That frame took 1/20th of a second so I'll move the player 1/20th of his speed.

This method is especially useful for multiplayer as it's a very simple predictive algorithm that means the game can run at the same speed for all players regardless of individual frame rate.

Ending a sentence with a French word is so passé

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 21:05:04
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 21:05:04