Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / IP Addressing Issues

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2004 12:01
For some reason, windows doesn't ahve a CLUE what my IP is somehow...:

I'm on a router, with an additional virtual network (vmware's artifical network).. Now the fact that windows thinks my IP is that (which is obviously a local network pointer) casues some annoying issues. Some games, for example, don't work right.. I can play FinalFantasy 11 just fine, but Command&Conquer Generals hangs at player connection.. I guess because the other player is trying to connect to 192.168.0.158 (which is what C&C generals reports my IP as)...

Does anyone have any clue whats going on?

"I LIKE MARSHMELLOWS!" - Homestar Runner
Eddie Gordo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2004 15:22
You do realize that since your behind a router IPCONFIG only gives you your local network adress, if you were plugged directly into the internet modem your ethernet adapter would be set to the IP of ur internet, but because you have a LAN in front of ur internet thats what IP it shows.

ITS THE RICH SIGNAL....DUNUNUNUNUNA RICH MAN...Admins away...holy jumpin Geris Rich its a crisis...bam boom whomp...
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Feb 2004 15:43
if the router supports port forwarding you can easily set it up for internet games. The statement that windows doesn't know your internal ip is incorrect, your internal address is an internet-unroutable address because the router is acting as a dhcp server and assigning you an address in the 192... range, that is your internal address.

-RUST-
"What the... Mooooooooooo!"
Dreq934
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2004 05:22
Well do any of you guys know how I could get Generals to not hang at the connection screen? My IP is locked as a 192.168 address.. I don't know squat about networking so proxies and such are beyond my 'let me try this' response list

"I LIKE MARSHMELLOWS!" - Homestar Runner
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2004 06:06
find out what port the game uses and if its tcp: ip or udp, then forward that port on your router to your machine's internal 192 address. Also make sure your firewall (if have one) is not mucking it all up. I'd check the firewall first actually

-RUST-
"What the... Mooooooooooo!"
ultranet
Years of Service
User Offline
my ip is weird it says one thing then another. what the hell does it begin with 62 or 82?! someone said they got my i.p which is no real biggy unless they stole it.
mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2004 00:45
i have written a simple php script which will tell you your webside ip if you want http://cgi.lochviewwest.plus.com/test6.php

http://www.larinar.tk
AMD athlon thoroughbred 2200, 512Mb ram, 40Gb HD, ati saphire radeon 9600 atlantis w/128mb ddr ram, good creative-labs soundcard, cd-rw + dvd drives.
Oraculaca
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2004 00:55
@ mm0zct:
didnt realise your from Linlithgow. Im from Stenhousemuir , the arse crack of Central Region.

In a permanent state of 'Under Construction'

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 09:37:11
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 09:37:11