Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Should I use DarkBasic?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
What i want to be able to do is to create a game along the lines of those console RPG Tactical games. Games like Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Disgaea, etc. I want to use a battle system that is almost identical to what these games use. There are a few 2D tools for game design out but none of them offer what this could as far as spell effects and other graphical goodies. I was wondering how difficult it would be to design a game like that with this tool and if its possible to nearly duplicate the battle system on those games i mentioned?
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Feb 2004 04:44
Programming is about creating everything yourself. You get to decide how the numbers calculate, DarkBASIC assumes only that you are using windows with directX. Otherwise if you run a blank program, nothing will happen, no start up screen, no "<INSERT TITLE HERE>" pics, nada. If you really want to customize your game, you've come to the right place. But you first need to take baby steps and learn programming, get good at art (or find artists), etc.

Juvenile Industries
Current Project: KillZone(FPS)
Soon to come:An rts, and a snowball fight game
Fluffy Paul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2004 14:35
I find making that writing the rules on a bit of paper and playing it like a board game or RPG with some friends helps me thrash out the details enough to plan my program.

Ending a sentence with a French word is so passé
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2004 16:56 Edited at: 15th Feb 2004 17:00
I'll second Fluffy Paul's comment. I'm currently finalizing the game design treatment for A Blaze of Glory, a tactical battle game that I'm working on. It's very much in the same league as what you are planning (I'm writing it DBP). One of the things that my team has already done is to make a D20 version of the game and tested it out in gamming sessions using OpenRPG. It was a blast and I look forward to working on the computer version after I finish VirMin.

Due to licensing, we might use something like the Action! System for the final gaming rules.
--
TAZ

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 20:59:19
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 20:59:19