Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / 3d models help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2004 18:05
ok im trying to make it so the characters in my game have diferent suits of armor and helmets and stuff but there are multiple characters and difrent ones can wear the same suit of armor i hope that makes since. well i dont want to make a difernt 3d model for each character on the same armor so is there a way to do this currently i am using anim8or. i thought of using varibles for armor sleave armor height stuff like that but i dont think i can do that on 3d models. really hope this made since

Im not dumb
i prefer the term mentaly challangend
Brian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2004 18:30
Are your models of different sizes? I've never tried this but I bet it would work... Each character could be given a head scale, torso scale, and leg scale variable. This variable would be a scaling factor. So each naked character would be a separate model as well as every suit of armor, pair of pants etc. Then, lets say you were adding leg armor to a character, you would simply clone the basic leg armor model, scale it by that characters leg scale variable, and attach and position it as a limb. I'm a bit sketchy on the limb part because I'm new and have not tried it myself yet. But from what I have seen I think this should work for you. If all of your characters are of different sizes but all have the same general proportions (i.e. their legs are always 20% longer than their torsos) then you could simplify this further by having just one general clothing scale factor variable for each character. Hope this idea helps.

* There is no experience like creating your own universe *
GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2004 18:35
I've thought about something quite similar before and my thoughts on the subject are that there are 2 options:

You character models are created in parts one for torso, waist, head, upper arm, lower arm etc...

You model the armour in the same parts with similar dimensions. I think the vital thing is to ensure that 0,0,0 is the in same place in all models for a specific body part.

Then in your software you build up your character from these parts using the LIMB commands.

Once you've done that it should be fairly simple to replace a default body part with an armour/clothing part or whatever using the DBP command, I think its replace limb or something like that.

The second way I saw of doing this involves making the model completely then using the command attach object to limb to attach the armour to the body model at runtime when necessary...

homie g dawg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2004 19:26
thnx brain ill try that eclipse im not having trouble getting the parts on the body its more getting them to fit on diferent bodys if anyone has any ideas on how to do this without having everything in poportion it would really help but i might just have to do it that way

Im not dumb
i prefer the term mentaly challangend

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 21:15:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 21:15:31