Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / wondering of two effects are possible, and how should I go about them?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2004 19:40
Problem 1)

I am wanting to have a counter, that counts up like a mileage thing on a speedometer, I could do it years back in machine code on the c64 coz it was easy, take the top line of pixels, shift them all up 1, and dump the pixels on the bottom row, and if you have numbers 0-9 in a font it worked, but doing it in basic? can it be done, I would like to learn it, rather than someone just code it, and provide me with the source (although that would be nice), can someone point me in the right direction.

Problem 2)
If it possible to make an effect like in Star Trek, like a teleporting effect, I am guessing you using Particles, but how, my maths is rubbish, and I am guessing you need that too? sorry be a bit vauge on this one, but that is the only way I can explain it. Again like above, I would like to learn it, rather than just get the code...

Thanks in advance for any help.

Don't jump, if you do you will only fall, and hurt yourself
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Feb 2004 22:22
1... you want a bitmap with the numbers 0 to 9 with zero on the end arranged verticaly, then copy the section of bitmap you want to a sprite as it`s image, then loop through and just move the section you get down the bitmap, when you are one pixel from the end then jump back to the top of the image strip and start over.

2... you can use ghost object on a textured cylinder, scroll the texture about and then scroll it to a section of the texture that "fades out" to give the effect of a fade, or just create some particles with a large emmiter and set the gavity to zero and the life and speed just long enough to clear the object you want to materialise, then use ghost and fade for a transporter effect while shutting down the particles.

Mentor.

System spec : Pentium 3.0Ghz, 512MB DDR, 2x160Gb HD (using icewave hd coolers ), DVD RW/CD RW (all modes), multimedia front panel, 6 way surround sound, ATI radeon 9800Pro 128mb.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2004 09:02
Quote: "I am wanting to have a counter, that counts up like a mileage thing on a speedometer"

You mean on an odometer?

I made a neat looking teleporting effect once in an old fps i never finished in dbc. It was 2 cylinders with different textures, both ghosted and had the cylinders rotating in different directions. I'll show you a screenshot of it when I get back into town, and you can decide if its what you want or not.

"eureka" - Archimedes
Fluffy Paul
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Feb 2004 14:41
In the Elite Force games when someone beamed out they put a glittery texture on them and scrolled it like crazy

Ending a sentence with a French word is so passé

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 20:33:57
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 20:33:57