Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / LType file size

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi everybody! Ive just got dbpro and I cant wait to make something cool. Im looking at the LType demo at the moment and noticed its file size is about 4.5mb. When I recompile the source, its 15mb! Ive tried clicking on the different exe options but the smallest I can get it is 9mb with the small exe option. Is there any way to compile the exe the same size as the demo?
tabz
Years of Service
User Offline
And the FaceDemo is just 3.13mb How can this be? Is there some kind of compression feature of DBPro I don't know about?
TheCyborg
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2004 13:51 Edited at: 17th Feb 2004 13:53
yes... Goto the Settings tab in the project manager and select "EXE with attached Media" and check the "Compress Attached Media" option. Now the EXE file should be as small as possible.

EDIT: Just tried this on the LType project and the compiled EXE is only 2.71MB

Member of Tjald - Targeted Joint Addicted Liberation Diplomacy

I am (currently) 45% addicted to Counter-Strike. What about you?
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2004 18:03
If you are going to destribute your program on the web don't use the compressed media option. It may make the exe smaller but it won't compress as well when you make a .zip/.rar to distribute. The compression also makes the program start slower as it has to decompress all the dlls before the game can run.

I wrote a program that lets you manually move the dlls out of the compiler/plugin dir so they don't get compiled into the exe if not needed. It can reduce the exe size by ~2Mb in some cases.
http://winch.dbspot.com/dll_move.html

Our civilization faces three great dangers. The first is destruction by a nuclear war, the second is being crippled with overpopulation and the third is the Age of Leisure.
tabz
Years of Service
User Offline
Cyborg, I tried that but I still get a large exe. However, I think I have the very first version of dbpro. I got it off ebay for $15! I'll download the patches and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for posting.

Thanx winch, I'll try that. Looks like a nice program. The power of VB finally harnessed I just have to work out which dlls to remove.

I've made a ball move around the screen. Last time I did that was with C64 basic. I copied the code from the instruction manual. This is a lot easier
tabz
Years of Service
User Offline
Problem solved! The 5.2 patch worked.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 20:44:36
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 20:44:36