Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / my first 2d game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hey! I am a newcomer to darkbasic and have an ambition to create a 2d side scrolling game. However, I know virtually nothing about anything relating to darkbasic and this is a problem. I need to know where to start. There are many things that I know of (many more that I don't) that I don't know how to do. These include: making a background for each of the levels, creating sprites (both main character and enemies), making level scroll when character is close to left or right side of screen, texturing, giving animations to the characters, creating projectiles for guns, collision detection, etc... The list goes on and on and on. If anyone would be so kind as to offer some help just to get me started on the right track I would be very gratefull. Thanks!!! BTW- I will include the code for the only way I know to get an image (a box with a red "x" representing a background" to scroll across the screen. As you may notice, it is very choppy and will most likely give you a siezure.
comando 300
Years of Service
User Offline
Just start with a simple game.Like old arcade games(Pong,Space Invader,Pac-Man,etc...).
Then start with a more complicate game.

CURRENT PROJECT: RETRO PAC-MAN
lukeman
Years of Service
User Offline
Thanks for the info. I think I will try to make a simple pong game. If you have any more info. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again!
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2004 20:48 Edited at: 16th Feb 2004 20:48
Chris Knott wrote a pong tutorial in this thread.
http://developer.thegamecreators.com/?m=forum_view&t=22030&b=7

Our civilization faces three great dangers. The first is destruction by a nuclear war, the second is being crippled with overpopulation and the third is the Age of Leisure.
Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Feb 2004 22:48
Yep yep yep.

Good place to start.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 21:21:36
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 21:21:36