Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Copyright violation! Can't stress this enough...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 19:07
@Jeku

"But then couldn't a pro just mess around with where the code actually calls each bitmapped character to make it display some other message or none at all?"

Yep. All they have to do is step through your program with a debugger to find it and do an unconditional jmp around the code that displays the copyright.

However, I don't think that most crackers are worried about copyright mentions though. Its pretty much a given that the stuff they release is not theirs. Its the amature thieves like CMC 101 that pose a problem. Though people like CMC 101 are too dumb to get around even the most basic of protection methods mentioned here, there are some people above his skill level that just have no shame.

I think Simple is an excellent example of someone like that. He may not have stolen programs, but he did not give credit to the artists he sketched. He had some really amazing artwork and it is just a shock that someone of his talent would do something like that, but the evidence is undeniable. There might just be a programmer out there like him who has the skill, but just no shame and will rip people off.

I just wanted to warn people not to get a false sense of security. These methods might stop CMC 101, but they won't stop much else.
DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2004 23:09 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2004 23:10
You could always make it blindingly obvious throughout your software, eg. you could have a billboard built into a map with your web addy on it...or minigames with a "This is my game" theme...

@ Darkcoder
I like ur idea, the game could go
"Put that readme back where it came from,
or so help me,
so help me,
i'll delete your Kernel

-Dave

Your soul...it tastes like chicken

Official Website Coming Soon
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2004 07:10
The threat might be over the top, but you could always have the program write out an new correct copyright file to replace missing or altered one.
--
TAZ

AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2004 09:22
Quote: "@Andy: I meant Truxton, NY, U.S. not the U.K. "

CMC, cock fights are illegal in the US too.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2004 17:15 Edited at: 25th Feb 2004 17:18
In Oklahoma, we recently voted to ban cock fighting. So, I can confidentially say that it is handled on a state by state basis. I think only Louisanna and part of New Mexico still allow legal fights.

Of course, making the law and enforcing the law are two differnt things. Some of the talk radio hosts around here are livid that judges and sheriffs are interpreting the law as they want and not as how the people voted.
--
TAZ

GCEclipse
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2004 18:32
People actually do that? People actually hexedit others work and put their own name on it and stuff.

I don't know how I could live with myself if I ever claimed someone elses work as my own.

Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
interesting punishment...

Dig a pit and poo in it
Damokles
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2004 19:40
I have a suggestion to keep many lazy hackers from stealing your thing : just use the copyright in your game.

Do things like this :
Quote: "
Speed = ASC(mid$(copyright$,7))

IF INKEY$() = mid$(copyright$,14) THEN ...

SCALE OBJECT 21, 30, 30,LEN(copyright$)"

So, If they just check the code for the copyright and change it .... the game won't work right.

"Begin at the beginning, and go on till you come to the end: then stop." - Lewis Carroll
Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2004 20:09
this is suh a wonderful thread full of ideas, i think i'l *BUMP* it

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 12:01:12
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 12:01:12