Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / What do I need?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello! I was wondering, to create a complete game (particulary a 2-d side-scrolling shoot-em up) do I need to purchase all of those other programs like Cartography Shop, Geoscape 3D, 3D Canvas Pro, Texture Maker, etc..., or is it possible to make a game without those programs? I have no idea as to what these individual programs do or what I need to create art for my games, create the textures, create the levels, the backgrounds, etc.. So just what all do I need? Right now I have the trial version of Dark Basic Classic and am messing around with that. Do you think I should go for Dark Basic Pro if I decide to make a purchase? Also, if I do buy it, should a get a bundle pack, and, if so, what programs should I get with it? (i.e. 3d Canvas Pro, Cartography Shop, etc...) Thanks a lot.
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2004 11:42
if you want to make 2D games, you will need the following:

(1) DB Classic/Pro
(2) a 2D art program (Pain Shop Pro, Photoshop, MSPaint, etc)

----

if you want to make 3D games, you will need the above plus:

(1) a 3D modelling program (Milkshape, Wings3D, DeleD, 3DSMax, Maya, etc)

and to make better models and animations I might also suggest:
(1) Unwrap 3D (for setting up how a texture gets wrapped on your 3D model)
(2) CharacterFX (for animating for model with skeletal animation)

good luck!!

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Obear
Years of Service
User Offline
Darkbasic is the language, with that you can do everything you need to actually MAKE the game.

Obviuoulsy you will want to put your own 3D modles, 2d Graphics and sounds into it.

That is were you will need to have a program for each of these.

which prograsm you choose to use is up to you.

Not sure about Pro, but Darkbasic classic came with a huge bunch of textures, 3Dmodles and sound files, so as long as you was happy use someone elses stuff you need not bother with other sofware other than DB Classic

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 21:14:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 21:14:32