Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Problem with point object command...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2004 01:34
I've been doing yard work. Learn some trouble shooting and logic skills. I'll try to figure this out later tonight.
--
TAZ

Indian Homie G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2004 01:37
ok ok sorry but i tried EVERYTHING...
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2004 01:47
If that's true (the everything bit), then there's nothing I can do. Give me some time for this headache to go away and I'll see if I can duplicate the problem.

Speaking of problems, you are using a model I don't have (the M4.) It is entirely possible that it has some whacked origin offset that is skewing the whole thing. Can you tell where the pivot point of the model is?
--
TAZ

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2004 01:51
Since you are online right now, could you post your current source code so I don't have to re-create it from the last several fixes?
--
TAZ

Indian Homie G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2004 06:54
sorrt havent replied in a while...been caught up in religious ceremnies ... i'm a man now, lol

anyway, heres my code
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2004 17:46 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2004 17:58
Congrats on the rite of passage, hopefully it didn't involve running on the backs of cattle* or anything too painful to mention.

The code changes for a relative placement of the gun are attached. Works like a charm for me. I replaced your gun with one of my own so you will need to uncomment your code there. I didn't use roll object or move right since I don't know what DBC supports.

If you want me to send my rifle model over for testing, just drop me a line via e-mail. If you think about the offsets, the trigger (the 0,0,0 origin point of my model) is around the hip level and a bit forward. While it may not be the best firing position, it prevents that cut-away model effect.

Quote: "Speaking of problems, you are using a model I don't have (the M4.) It is entirely possible that it has some whacked origin offset that is skewing the whole thing. Can you tell where the pivot point of the model is?
"

This is still an important question you need to answer. If the origin point of the M4 model is not near the gun, you are going to have serious problems rotating it.
--
TAZ

* Yes, there is a tribe in Africa where that is part of the ritual.

Indian Homie G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2004 01:36
ok can u send me the model? ill email u, and if my gun doesnt work, ill just tweak out ur model with some textures and stuff... and about the original offset stuff
Quote: "
Speaking of problems, you are using a model I don't have (the M4.) It is entirely possible that it has some whacked origin offset that is skewing the whole thing. Can you tell where the pivot point of the model is? "

What do you mean by that stuff? I have 3ds max, so what do you want me to do exactly? I can rotate the gun a bit in max and try to figure out where the pivot point is, but i dont see how it would help and what it would do...
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2004 07:39
When you rotate an object, any object, how it moves is determined by the origin (0,0,0) of that object.

For example, take a sphere with the origin in the middle. No matter how you rotate that sphere, it is going to basically stay in place. Now, image that the origin of the sphere is far to the left or right. When you rotate it on the Y axis, it will appear to move in an orbit around the origin point.

So, if the origin point of your M4 is too far from the center of the rifle, it will swing wide rather than pivot like you want.
--
TAZ

BTW, I tried to send you the file. But, the mail server says you have a bogus account.

Indian Homie G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2004 07:44 Edited at: 24th Feb 2004 07:53
wait what the heck i got the email but the rifle.x is just a big text thing...what do i do with it??
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2004 08:34
Sigh, sounds like Yahoo. Just remove the .txt extension. Yahoo is probably trying to do you a 'favor' since it detected that the .x file was plain text (which it is, I don't use binary .x files.)
--
TAZ

Indian Homie G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2004 01:41
1. I got it on my hotmail account.
2. THere is no attachment. It's just like under the message, the script stuff. Send it to my yahoo account: spitfire12290@yahoo.com
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2004 07:48
I sent it as part of your last message as a zip archive, that should prevent Yahoo for messing with it. Let me know how that works out. Alternately, you can send me the M4 model. Just as long as we use the same gun so we can produce the same results for testing purposes.
--
TAZ

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 22:24:00
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 22:24:00