Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Galactic Cilvilizations

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Anyone ever play that game?

Its fun but hella hard =\ the developer rewrote the AI 6 times 5 times for each major race and then once for the minor races in all there are 35 races....and playing one game you won't come accross most of them i'v only seen like 6 or 7 minor races.

The search continues.
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2004 22:12
Nope I haven't heard of it. Is it freeware? Or is there a demo to d/l?

~I see one problem with your reasoning: The fact is that is a chicken~
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2004 23:08
Killswitch, it's known as google.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Feb 2004 23:13
Why use google when I can simply ask here? Man im lazy... I did check after the previous post 51mb is too big for my 56k!

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2004 00:03
I got the demo. It's interesting, if too linear for my tastes, and a total ripoff of Stars!.

UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
lol ok mouse whats stars? and i dought its a total rip off...the website is galciv.com

The search continues.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2004 02:40
Yes, it is a total ripoff. From the galaxy size choice to the UI to the enemy design, and it really bought it when I saw the research screen. Obviously GalCiv has fancier graphics but the entire concept was the same-- choose a field to research out of these few, here's the technologies you'll get in the coming advances, months til next advance, % of resources to donate to research. All identical.

Stars! is a classic space strategy game. It dosen't have fancy graphics, it uses a Win95 UI with very little gfx actually, but it's a very good and deep space strategy game.

UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
oh yeah where can you find this game sounds intrresting =)

But this is more of a empire building game IMO. Not as battle intensive as most strat games i'v come across IE empire earth starcraft rise of nations ect ect

The search continues.
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2004 22:29
Yeah I wanna know to google didn't turn up anything except astrology sites!

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2004 22:45
Here is a good Stars! fan site.

http://www.crisium.com/stars/index.htm

Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2004 22:48
Thanks!

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2004 22:50
Quote: "But this is more of a empire building game IMO. Not as battle intensive as most strat games i'v come across IE empire earth starcraft rise of nations ect ect"

Again, the entire thing is ripped right out of Stars!. I can't get used to the graphics-- they're too... flat for me. I think I still prefer Stars!. It's too bad Stars! Supernova never came out .

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2004 22:58
I should mention that Stars! wasn't the first of its kind (though it was one of the best). Nevertheless, this is one of the most obvious ripoffs I've ever seen. Perhaps it's supposed to be the 'spiritual sequel'? I dunno...

UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2004 23:45 Edited at: 19th Feb 2004 00:05
poor mouse you should know as good as anyone not to double post 8 minutes later =...

But anyhow you seem to have not played alot of games it seems every game is a rip off of some other game...but the source of all the rip off's is never the less found heh.

i'v seen a couple games with "overlord" tech...but can't remember there names. they where all free based games heh. But anyhow it may look like a rip off from stars and i must say it does to me too but there are major diffrences between the games. You just gotta look =)

errr i wonder if mouse is going to turn this into flamebait

[Edit]
BTW talkin bout rip offs stars has a "deathstar" hmm wonder wheere that idea came from.... in galciv there equivlient is called a "Terror Base" which IMO is a horribly thought up name.

The search continues.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2004 01:09
Quote: "But anyhow you seem to have not played alot of games it seems every game is a rip off of some other game...but the source of all the rip off's is never the less found heh."

All games borrow ideas, but that is different from ripping things off. Borrowing the idea of a turn-based space exploration and civilization builidng strategy game based on designing starships and colonising worlds is different from utterly and completely ripping off every last bit of Stars! design an interface, which GalCiv does.

Quote: "BTW talkin bout rip offs stars has a "deathstar" hmm wonder wheere that idea came from...."

That's known as a TRIBUTE... I even think Death Star might be trademarked, but so what, it was obviously just a nod to the greatest cinematic sci-fi adventure ever.

Quote: "in galciv there equivlient is called a "Terror Base" which IMO is a horribly thought up name."

Probaly so, but again, like Stars! GalCiv is more cheesy than serious at most parts; its 'evil' texts and choices are all humorous.

Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2004 01:11
homages and influences as well

Take a look to the sky just before you die

---For Whom The Bell Tolls, Metallica
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2004 01:29 Edited at: 19th Feb 2004 01:52
mouse have you even played galciv? i havent played stars...yet...but the idea of the game seems similar alot but still the game does have its big diffrences.

a little diffrence

Stars can be played with upto 16 players online

galciv cannot be played online and there are no signs of it ever being able to. Galciv is also coming out with a expansion pack i read somewhere on there site. Maybe you should read more about the game =)

[edit]

downloaded the demo and stars is nothing like galciv! wtf are you talkin bout mouse?! they barly have the same tech tree's or anything nothing is like that sure there both turn based sure some units might have the same name but anything in the genre of tatical empire building space game is bound to be near the same or somewhat similar...i have no idea where you got the idea that they are even remotly the same.

The search continues.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2004 01:50
Quote: "mouse have you even played galciv? i havent played stars...yet...but the idea of the game seems similar alot but still the game does have its big diffrences."

Gaah, read above, I downloaded and played the demo quite a bit.

Quote: "Stars can be played with upto 16 players online galciv cannot be played online and there are no signs of it ever being able to."

Soooooooo GalCiv didn't manage to imitate Stars! in one aspect...

Quote: "Galciv is also coming out with a expansion pack i read somewhere on there site."

Your point is?

Quote: "Maybe you should read more about the game =)"

I've read three reviews, played the demo a bit and looked around the official site. It's a decent game, well balanced, okay graphics, funny at parts, but it still can't beat, and is a total ripoff of, Stars!.

UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2004 01:58 Edited at: 19th Feb 2004 01:59
maybe you should just play the dame game all the way out? like buy the full version? does stars have a tech called beyond human?

stars you can play as diffrent races

galciv you can only play as a HUMAN race but your race is customizable all the way down to there abilitys.

customize the 5 other main alien races as well (only the names of races but thats fun to mess around with)

stars has a nice tech tree but its spread out

galciv tech tree first you gotta research communication theory purpolsion, weapons,defense theory ect ect befor you can advance (errr) ect ect...

the aspect of the game might be similar but they are way to far off to be rip off's i guess rise of nations as well ripped off the stars idea of influence as well? and empire earth ripped off KKND's/starcrafts idea of battle? and that every tatical game out there or empire game (simcity and the likes that) ripped off stars as well? every game is bound to be similar but they arnt ever TOTAL ripoffs. Well atleast commerical games i'v seen.

err bad spelling i need sleep had to edit a few post after reading them several times hehe...

The search continues.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2004 02:06
It's the same thing with a different coat of paint. You shouldn't be arguing until you've played Stars!, which you obviously haven't or you'd see what I mean... they are not far off, they're incredibly similar down to the ripoff level.

UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "It's worth noting that the original galciv came out on OS/2 in 1995 iirc.

Alex
"

from the galciv forums.

well i'v played the demo so i think you should take some of your own advice pal you too have played only the demo of galciv you said it yourself. But i still think there are to many diffrences in every aspect of the game to call it a ripoff.

The search continues.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2004 02:18
Quote: "It's worth noting that the original galciv came out on OS/2 in 1995 iirc."

One year, I believe, after Stars! .

Quote: "well i'v played the demo so i think you should take some of your own advice pal you too have played only the demo of galciv you said it yourself. But i still think there are to many diffrences in every aspect of the game to call it a ripoff."

Whatever... any fan of Stars! from the old days will know what I mean.

UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
indeed whatever mouse...give me the original site of stars? or is the game dead?

The search continues.
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2004 20:37
Stars is pretty cool, I've only got the demo though. Does anyone know of any 100% free (similar) games?

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2004 21:33
None that match up at all I'm afraid.

Hehe, that's another thing GalCiv ripped off-- just like the Stars! demo, the GalCiv demo ends at a certain year

UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
OMFG mouse lots of demo's do that....im not gonna even fight with you anymore because you think that stars is "the SH*T"....maybe your mad cuz galciv is better?! haha =)

But anyhow Supernova looks like a awsome game.

The search continues.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2004 23:24

I was JOKING... good grief you're upright.

Anyways, Supernova looks good-- as good as it looked 3 years ago in fact. It's been stalled for that long. Nobody wants to publish them and they refuse to release it as freeware in its current state... a sad example of vaporware if there ever was one.

UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
heh i can understand why they wouldnt release it does look like commerical quaility. But then again did they ever think about taking orders online and then making the CD's themselfs? and shipping them out.

The search continues.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2004 14:38
The thing is it's not done, and they apparently don't have the funding to finish it... sigh.

UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
yeah don't you hate it when good games never get a chance?

The search continues.
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 00:23
Hey does anyone know where I can get a copy of the full version of Stars? I've been folloing the links on the website but all I get is 404 errors.

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2004 14:26
This Stars! v GalCiv debate is, frankly, a bit silly. Neither can claim to be the first in their genre nor have any monopoly upon the ideas underlying them. MoO was certainly older and even it was not the first such game ever made.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P1.3ghz / 384 megs / GeForce MX 5200 128meg / WinXP home
Toothpick
Years of Service
User Offline
Anyone up for a game of Imperium Galactica III ?

Oh yeah they haven't released it yet. (2002 my left foot)

Must be something about space empire games, so many become vapourware.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2004 20:18
yeah. Sad. They're fun.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2004 16:59
Having written a space empire game for PBEM play, even the simple ones are very complex. For example, Fire on the Suns has a rulebook that is several hundred pages long. To convert that from PBEM to a full computer game could take years. I wrote a 'lite' version of FOTS called Cluster War and that is a little easier to get a handle on, until you add in the complete tactical space ship combat game that I also wrote...

Anyone remember the Interlock system created by Omnitrend? It was a computer game system that allowed you to combine Rules of Engagement and Breach so you could play out tactical ship combat and then switch to man-to-man combat when the ship based game required boarding party combat between ships or when you needed to capture an enemy space station.

I might try my hand at that. Silly as it may seem, making three games would be easier than trying to build one game that is three times as complex.
--
TAZ

Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2004 20:52
Hey zircher do you have a link to you game? This post has got me addicted to these games now!!

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2004 21:39 Edited at: 23rd Feb 2004 21:42
Yes and no. If you're thinking that FOTS or CW is a pure computer game like Stars! or Space Empires IV, you're barking up the wrong tree. You can find the rules to Cluster War in my TCOM2/VirMin* gallery page here:

http://www.geocities.com/tzircher/tcom_gallery.htm

The rules for Fire on the Suns 3rd edition can be found in the files section of the FOTSCOM-L group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/fotscom-l/

There are some commercial elements to these games, but the previous links should point you in the right direction.

The following products are required for GMs and CW players might want to get TCOM2 so they can design their own custom units, etc.

Cluster War uses Tactical Command 2nd edition rules for ship to ship combat. TCOM2 runs around $15 + s&h.

FOTS has a GM CD that has a ton of tools such as the GM Macro and the Battle Engine. The FOTS GM CD is $25 + s&h.

You can find the FOTS store here:

http://zircher.iwarp.com

It has write ups for TCOM2 and some other products. Sorry if this sounds like I'm hawking goods, but I figured it would be good to let you know up front and the web links are the best way to get info without me typing up page after page of stuff.
--
TAZ

* BTW, VirMin is my current big DBP project. It is not a computer game as much as it is a 3D chat program for RPG players and wargames. My next big DBP program after VirMin will be FOTS: A Blaze of Glory. That will be a true computer game of man to man tactical combat.

UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
lol sorrie killswitch didnt mean to get you addicted although they are fun to play really fun...

The search continues.

Current project - A space game
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 02:37
The addition is easy. I like customizable games. FOTS, TCOM2, and CW are all wickedly customizable to the point you can run hundreds of game universesm early anything from starship fleet actions on down to man to man mass melees.

While computer games are fun, they still can't beat a human game master at the helm.
--
TAZ

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 11:40:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 11:40:32