Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / anyone had any experience making ANY type of sports game???

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2004 07:06
i love like just about all sports, and i wanted to make a sports game (obviously) after i finish the FPS i'm doing. i tried to think about the AI, models, animation, etc.,and it seemed really complicated...any advice?
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2004 11:25
The good thing about sports games is that you start with a set of rules and code them, so your always sure what needs to be done.

The thing is though, you could easily choose an extreme sport that would be fairly easy to recreate, snowboarding for instance is always popular and fairly straightforward to code.

What sort of sports game are you thinking of?.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
Indian Homie G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Feb 2004 23:54
well... i really like hockey, but i know that is too hard, i like soccer a lot also, if any one is familiar, cricket is awesome, and i like skateboaring also...so maybe skateboarding?

skateboarding might be a good idea but i was kinda thinking like a 'real' sport...
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2004 10:01
the problem with team sports is you need some pretty good AI to make it playable... that's why most hobby-coders seem to make individual sports games like Tennis, Skateboarding, etc.

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2004 10:11
Tennis would be a good project, the AI is pretty straightforward, and you only have 2 characters and a court so there's plenty processor power for graphical touches.

Skateboarding is very difficult to program, probably the most difficult, considering that Tony Hawks is the only skateboarding game series that worked. 2-on-2 basketball is a consideration too.

Try and pick a sport that you can make a good job off in DBPro, like only a few players. Maybe 3-on-3 street hockey would suit you - the AI for a fast scoring game like hockey is pretty straightforward too.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
Indian Homie G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2004 07:13
i have DBclassic though ... but anyway. actually, how could you even DREAM of saying hockey would be easy? ok, 3 ppl on the other team...u need a lot of 3d modelling and complex animations, the AI is NOT AT ALL easy...
Blue Shadow
Years of Service
User Offline
What sort of hockey are you interested in. Ice or normal grass/astro or indoor.

Cheers,

Michael

PS I play the second 2

Intel Celron 2.6ghz, 256 MB Ram, 80gb HD,D DVD Rom, CD Rewriter,17" Flat pannel Monitior and DB Pro
Indian Homie G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2004 21:22
well ah i used to play ice hockey and roller hockey...never played indoor, sounds cool tho
waffle
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 18:05
I did a 5 on 5 internet basketball game in DBC...

Basically I set it up so you played as a coach sorta, and just gave orders to the players (shoot,block, take position, pass to me) and then added global commands (zone, man-man).

Did my first MS3D models and animation in that game. The hard part was working out ball stealing and recovering from missed shots.

internet gaming group
current project http://home.comcast.net/~norman.perry/Archon.html
Lance Lumpy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 19:26
I made a soccer game on my friends dark basic professional. the longest script i ever made, trust me! it took me ages. just keep trying different things, and you will eventually figure it out. that is my advice...

Support Everton FC - They're The Best!
Indian Homie G
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 19:57
but how do u do the modelling? do u model an animation of the player WITH the ball, or what? or how do u pass? hey if u didnt mind guys, could i see ur code for the game? i promise promise pinky promise i wont steal it . could u just email me the .dba file?? my email is spitfire12290@yahoo.com
thanks, id really appreciate it, especailly the soccer one
Lance Lumpy
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2004 12:34
ok. my friend has it now but i will ask him to email me the .dba file. byez

Support Everton FC - They're The Best!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 22:38:09
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 22:38:09