Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

DarkBASIC Discussion / complecated collisions

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
i am new at DB and already have an ambicious project, i have .3ds fully taken apart car(doors, lights, bumpers...) and need the car fall apart, when it crashes into smth.,
if someone could help me, it'll be very gratefull...
Jess T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2004 01:55
There are a couple of different ways you could do it, one would be to actually model the car falling apart as an animation, and when the car crash's, play that animation.

Another way to do it would be to have each section of the car as a seperate model, then load them all in, and make them all limbs of the main body, ie, load the chazy of the car, then load the left door, make it a limb of the chazy, then load the right door, make it a limb of the chazy, load in the bumper bars, make them limbs of the chazy, etc etc.
Then, when you have that set up, and the car crash's, just detatch the part that is to fall off, from the the chazy, and move it on it's own, so that it looks like it has fallen off.

ie, say the car crash's, and the right door is to fall off, then you would detach the limb that is the right door, then move that in the direction you want so that it looks like it's falling, and voila! Instant crash!

Hope I Helped...
Jess.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Logical Engineer/All-Round Nice Guy
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2004 21:44
There is a simple method, I forget the name, where you basically have 2 models. You show and hide the limbs to produce a "damaged" effect, e.g hiding a good arm and showing a bloody arm.

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2004 23:07
another way is using memblocks but i wouldn't suggest that for a beginner

LED
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2004 19:54 Edited at: 10th Feb 2012 12:50
Ok I want to thank those who helped or at least tried to help me, I want to make something clear with the game i want to make. The main idea is the carcrash testing. I make all the modeling in Zmodeller - the most easy graphic editor i know. the gameplay consists of setting the speed of car to crash into a cement block, action is in a garage so no skyboxes. Everything is about ready (exept car textures, physics scripting, and menu), later, when i will get closer with DB, i would like to add some more crashing possibities, like throwing car from some height, choosing the degree it falls, on some objects maybe, like boxes, barrels. also throwing objects on a car, craching two cars at an adjusted angle. But it's all when learn DB more.

About damages, i don't want them as a stock model morphs to a damaged one it's like in Grand Theft Auto.
The best car damages ever made, were made in a "Street Legal REDLINE" game by invictus (http://www.invictus.hu)
so the car parts not just fall apart, but allso bends in the way it collides.
It is a really good idea i think to perform a good car physics.
but that is not possible untill i involve some people to help me (to make a team or smth)
P.S. i am 15, my PC: 2500 MhZ 500 ddr ,256 mb video, soft-DB 1.13 enchanced, and one more - i'm not crazy on craching cars, i just want to make great physics
actually i think DB can't do that far.
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2004 22:12
man if your that determined then i'd suggest memblocks

check out the codebase for a destructable terrain code written by kevin, it involves memblocks (not dark basic classic but the idea still the same!). Provided your cars have enough vertices and in the right places you could go down as deep as vertex collision and reposition individual vertices within the car model using memblocks to give the damaged look...

as for the textures you could either have them pre-done or modify them on the fly also using memblocks, the vertex part above i could probably do but this part i have little next to no idea

Sjakie
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2004 23:05
Hey There are more people using zmodeler 4 db!!! Cool

Juzt a dude who likez progging - Me loves RTS games
LED
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 15:58 Edited at: 21st Feb 2004 17:55
please tell me a sourse where i can store pics for u to see plz
Guitarman
Years of Service
User Offline
Kinda off topic...Where can i get zmodler and is it free? Thanks.
LED
Years of Service
User Offline
you can get the Zmodeler from http://www.zmodeler.com
it supports the *.3ds and *.x(export only) formats (there are many more, but you don't need them)
to make DB understand the *.x file, you have to modify->reorient all limbs or objects.
Zmodeler has a very comfortable UV mapper.
the creators of Zmodeler are now constructing the Zmodeler 2
and YES! IT IS FREE!
LED
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 18:40 Edited at: 21st Feb 2004 18:51
pictures of what i have now:

it is a mitsubishi evolution, i love it, made in Zmodeler

how everything looks in DB (yet)

garage 2, made allso in Zmodeler

garage 1, made in Zmodeler
i have a simple box inside the cement block, but i still can't manage even simple collisions, need some real help, because all that ready is the car with no textures(not so important now) inside a garage moving FV and BW with keys "w" and "s", wit no collisions at all, well, scripting is not mine really, i do modelind, texturing, music (i do music in E-JAY hip-hop(4,5), dance(3,5,6), house), i can do everything eccept scripting, so maby someone wants to join the project? if yes, mail me or post here.
LED
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2004 20:35 Edited at: 27th Feb 2004 20:37

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-04-18 10:26:02
Your offset time is: 2024-04-18 10:26:02