Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Explorer question. Unanswerable?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2004 04:21
Hi.
Nobody at all seems to know.
but...
when windows starts.. explorer is started.
that means that we see the desktop and start menu
..if i end the explorer process.. and start a new instance by opening taskmgr and clicking New/Run and typing in explorer.exe
the desktop and start menu once again return.

but..

when desktop + start menu are already running... if you create a new instance of explorer, you are given the explorer more known as "My Computer" and it shows on the task bar.
now..
for some strange reason i managed to end up with no explorer process.
and when i tried to create a new one.. instead of brining u pthe start menu and the desktop, it just brought up my computer instance of it.

so how does the computer distinguish.
if i want to start the desktop one
or if i want to start the "my computer" one is there anyway of telling my pc which one? is it command line job ? or... what?

The following threads and their accompanying sound tracks are protected by copyright and any broadcast public diffusion, copying and edditing are etc... etc.. you may not complain about my Typo's
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2004 04:49
the os may be flagging the way the process was started, if by OS or if by user/manual

not sure but I do see what you are saying.

also maybe there is more than 1 explorer.exe and it's a pathing issue since the RUN thing in exactly the same as the RUN thing in the start button.

again, not sure

-RUST-
"What the... Mooooooooooo!"
DivW
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2004 12:58
Me and Dougie came up with this pattern:

Microsoft = Monkeysoft
Applemac = Applemonkey
RM (Research Machines) = Research Monkeys

I would recomend asking the inmates of your nearest zoo the answer, its entirely possible that they're ex-monkeysoft employees. Sorry i'm no help.

-Dave

Your soul...it tastes like chicken

Official Website Coming Soon
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2004 17:45
That's just Windows. Generally, when there's no Explorer running, it launches the task again, and if there is it creates another file explorer instance; iexplore launches a net window instance. But open it just... randomly... screws up. There's no predicting it.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Feb 2004 21:38
Quote: "There's no predicting it."

there is, but virgins and obsian sacrifical altars with gold inlaid tops are hard to get hold of, plus the airfare to Chichen Itza, construction of a pyramidic temple, portage, feeding for 300 acolytes, waiting for the next planetary alinement etc....simpler to just put up with it and guess.

Mentor.

System spec : Pentium 3.0Ghz, 512MB DDR, 2x160Gb HD (using icewave hd coolers ), DVD RW/CD RW (all modes), multimedia front panel, 6 way surround sound, ATI radeon 9800Pro 128mb.
Gery
Years of Service
User Offline
heard about X-Box?

512 kilobájt 2k kernel + GeForce3 drivers + DirectSound + Directinput + Direct3D.
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 16:35
Something wierd happened with my IE the other day, i tried to open up a new instance (and I did just double click) and loads of them started popping up! I had about 30 on my task bar before I got to restart!

~I see one problem with your reasoning: The fact is that is a chicken~

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 09:39:34
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 09:39:34