Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Film Reviews!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Got any film reviews you want to make?

The Legue Of Extraordinary Gentlemen.
This is a really good film, with some nice special effects. The story captures your attention from the beginning. Using a combination of modern technology and victorian style, it creates a world of genius gone mad. There are some problems in the special effects, and you might say to yourself "They have made a mistake." But the film is well worth watching! Three stars ***

stann65
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2004 21:17
american pie 3 has comedy from the begining to the end and is the perfect end to the american pie trilogy. This film easily deserved 10 out of 10.

go onto my site
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2004 21:36
School or Rock (PG)
don't let the pg sticker put you off, its a funny film. If you know much about rock music you'll find it funny and so will little kids. soundtracks one of the best released aswell

GO TO THE ETERNAL DESTINY FORUMS!!! http://forums.eternaldestinyonline.com
Do it now!!!
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2004 21:52 Edited at: 20th Feb 2004 21:54
Final Destination 2:

Something tells me the major attraction of new horror / slasher movies will be all-out over exaggerated violence. Not that I'm against heads popping off, eye impalements and the like, it's just that you can't call this type of flick a "horror". Sure, my girlfriend was clutching me and covering her eyes, apparently scared. But real horror has to leave a lot to the imagination. Final Destination 2 doesn't pretend or try to be the scariest movie of all time--- proven by the final scene which must have been put in just to make fun of itself. Still, there's always this longing inside me for more. *sigh*

4/10

8 Mile:

I went to see 8 Mile with my girlfriend and another friend simply because there was nothing else to see. This was the last movie I wanted to watch--- I would rather watch Stuart Little 2 three times in a row then watch 8 Mile. To tell you the truth, this was one of the worst movies I've ever seen. It was definitely the worst movie of the year. My opinion isn't based on the fact that I'm not a huge rap fan (the music in the movie was great), but the storyline sucked more than Pamela Anderson's Playboy audition. This movie gave me creepy flashback's of Rudy, another typical movie about a loser who wants to be somebody and how he shows everyone in the end how much of a winner he is. Or a whiner. Eminem spent the entire movie being opressed, constantly fighting his enemies, his friends, and his mother (Basinger). Here's my two cents, and one point for the music.

1/10

http://www.jeku.com/audio/
Ancient Chinese proverb: Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
stann65
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2004 21:59
I think for 8 mile you had to be a big eminem and rap fan.

This one is mainly for the people in UK.

Carry on films.....

these films are amazing and full of old british comedy each one deserves at least 8/10 even though of there age.

go onto my site
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2004 22:06
Quote: "at least 8/10 even though of there age"

Do what now?

Personally I thought Final destination 2 was ok. About a 6 out of 10. Put me off BBQ's a bit after watching that one (and I singed my eyebrows and facial stubble off once lighting a BBQ too)....

Carry on films? Hmmm. Maybe when I was kid. Still, some are worth some high marks.

8 Mile? Haven't seen it, don't want to see it, refuse to see it. Complete pat on back special by the look of it.

LOEG? Rented it out tonight, hopefully will be good.

School of Rock? Oh, yes. Looks like my cup of tea.

And American Pie 3 was very good. But strangely not as good as the first two. Also seemed oddly departed from itself, if you see what I mean.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2004 22:16
@Pincho

"This is a really good film, with some nice special effects."

Must...resist...urge...to argue!
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2004 22:21 Edited at: 20th Feb 2004 22:21
i haven't yet seen LOTR3 (for those that don't know LOTR="lord of the rings", where have u been? ) but i've heard lot's of scenes from the film where either omitted or forgotten... for example, i expected a second showdown between the wizards saramon and gandalf (advanced from grey to white) but from what i heard, saramon wasn't even in the third installment...

Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2004 22:23
@Hexgear

" saramon wasn't even in the third installment... "

Your right he wasn't. He wound up on the cutting room floor. Hopefully, the DVD will have him back in though.
Eric T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2004 23:21
House of the Dead...

It Stinks (my best impersination of "The Critic")

If i ain't here, i'm probably playing DOA2 Hardcore on the PS2
Former name : Liquidz_Snake
stann65
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2004 23:40
gangs of new york 9/10 it is a well made film and the best film i have seen set in the 1800's

go onto my site
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 00:14
LOEG: Hmmm. Just watched it, and erm.... 3/10 methinks. Mainly because the story is rubbish.... Really really rubbish.

Some nice effects here and there though. But yes, some of it does seem a bit cardboardy really.

Oh, and this really doesn't spoil the story, but how come the vampire can walk around in the sun? Did I miss something?

Very large disapointment that one. Perhaps even more than the Hulk? Maybe.

Cheers

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Fight Club

Looking for a great action film? How about a drama? Or something extremely wierd? Fight Club has all of the above. It has everything you could want: Brad Pitt (Ocean's 11), Edward Norton (American History X), and soap.

Five stars...it's a classic.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 00:42
@Dazzag

"Mainly because the story is rubbish.... Really really rubbish."

I couldn't agree more. There was so many plot holes in that movie it was ridiculous. I went to that movie with a friend and we spent the whole time ripping that movie apart, and I never rip movie's apart. It was bad. No, it was rank. A foul piece of cinematic crap unparralled in the history of fil...wait. I should stop myself before I get too carried away.

"Did I miss something?"

No, the film makers missed something. In fact a lot of somethings, most notably their brains.

@HZence

"Fight Club"

I'll second Fight Club. That was an awesome movie and ranks up their in my top 3 movies of all time. 10/10.
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 00:52
i'll third fight club

I understood the whole story (after the 2nd run) but one thing keeps bugging me, remember when pitt rigged the building to blow and norton found the truck with the soap bombs and pitt when't all bruce lee on norton's a$$, well when pitt started pulling norton around and the normal camera cut to a security camera view you could see norton quite all right but no pitt, it was like a ghost was dragging him around the car park lol

Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 00:57
Halloween: 10/10
Now, don't get me wrong: the other Halloweens just didn't capture the spirit. 2 was stupid. 3 was moderate. Didn't see four or six. 5 was below average. H2O was a bit more then decent, and 8 sucked
But the originial is the horror movie that made the genre (not literally)
it was great, the others are just horrid mocked bullsh*t soemone through together just because of the Halloweeen name
FD2 sucked

Take a look to the sky just before you die

---For Whom The Bell Tolls, Metallica
Preston C
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 01:05
Well then, though it isnt a new movie (though it is one of my favorites)...

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie

Another installment of the Cowboy Bebop anime series, set between episodes 22 and 23 if I'm correct. It stars the Cowboy Bebop heroes/bounty hunters Spike, Jet, Faye, and Ed. A terrorist group has released a deadly virus into the city and the bodies just pile up. But thats what the Bebop team is for. To clean up the mess, and get the bounty.

Though, to some people, some of the dialogue is just plain confusing (damn meat and stew thing at the beginning was the last thing that shoulda been in that movie) but for those faithful to the show, they should be used to things like this by now. As always, there are in and outs of action, and the music is a great selection of jazz.

Overall, though I am a big fan of the show, I must give it a fair rating:

6/10 - Above Average for a movie for its kind...at least its better then those dammed Pokemon movies.

The Core

A great Sci-Fi movie where the American Government screws the world and basically sends it to its doom. Surprised? I didnt think so. In it, a scientist team is gathered to design and build a ship of some kind which will be sent to the Earths core and restart the blasted thing.

Even some people who arent scientific geniusses will appreciate this movies plot and story. It has some decent action/horror scenes in it too. The reason I say horror is some scenes would make most people piss in their pants. I mean, that pidgeon rampage would make even the most fearless veteran scream like a little girl (no offense to the women). The music is ok, but thats coming from someone that can't remember most of the tracks. Its even funny at times too. But, you gotta see it to get the most out of it.

Overall, its a decent movie, though I'd go for The Lord of the Rings any day, the rating I'm giving it is as honest as hell is hot:

Rating: 8/10 - Great Movie, but flawed at times.

Those are my two movie reviews.

Cheers,
Preston

Intel Celeron 1.3 Ghrz 512MB Ram NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 128MB
Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 02:06
@Hexgear

"dragging him around the car park "

Uhh...yeah that was the point.

I'm not sure that you understand the story dude. If you did you'd know why you couldn't see Pitt.

@Preston

Cowboy Bebop the Movie is one of my favorites. I love the ending with that movie including the part at the end after the credits. Really made you think.

"Though, to some people, some of the dialogue is just plain confusing"

It didn't confuse me too much. I don't know if there is a english dub of it but the one I have has subtitles and it was pretty clear albeit you had to read fast in places.

But I've done enough commenting so time to do my own review.

Vampire Hunter D: Blood Lust

Let me just start off by saying I'm not a fan of vampire movies. I've never really liked any of them(partly due to the fact I had a childhood fear of vampires). But let me say this movie is not what you would expect. It was totally something different from anything I had expected from start to finish.

From the characterization to the artistic style, Vampire Hunter D is in a class of its own. It takes a radically different look at the genre and if you've seen any vampire films before forget anything that you might expect becuase Vampire Hunter D walks in a path of its own making. This has to be the one and only vampire movie that I will probably ever like. I would highly recommend it to both fans of the vampire genre and non-fans alike.

10/10.
Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 04:35
I liked Cowboy Bebop the movie too. But, Neophyte, thanks for telling me of this ending at the end of the credits. I think I'm going to have to rewatch it now

Take a look to the sky just before you die

---For Whom The Bell Tolls, Metallica
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "I'll second Fight Club. That was an awesome movie and ranks up their in my top 3 movies of all time. 10/10."

Well now that I have Neophytes opinion, I 'know I'm right'...

Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 05:12
@Mr X

"thanks for telling me of this ending at the end of the credits"

It really isn't an ending thing. Its more like a phrase that appears at the end of the credits that just sums up the whole philiophy behind the movie. It only appears for a few seconds, but I thought it was an excellent touch that reenforced the whole butterfly-or-man take on the classic riddle.

There was a lot of deep philosophical stuff behind the scenes that made this movie really interesting to me. It wasn't balatent or anything though. Its not like they were beating you over the head with it like with the Matrix sequels, but it wasn't too unnoticable either.

The phrase at the end just brought everything together in my opinion and thats what I love about it.

@HZence

"Well now that I have Neophytes opinion, I 'know I'm right'... "

Of coarse.
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "coarse"

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 05:34
@Neophyte

i do just that how can u drag yourself around a parking lot?

Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 06:14
@Hexgear

"i do just that how can u drag yourself around a parking lot?"

No, you don't. Really. Watch the movie again, paticular the part toward the end when he finds out who Pitt really is in the hotel room. I don't want to post specifics here because it will spoil a really good ending for an awesome movie.

@HZence

?

Its spelled right.
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 06:21 Edited at: 21st Feb 2004 06:22
Of course it is.

Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 06:53
Doh!

I knew that was weird looking the first time I ended up writing it.
Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 06:58
hehehehehe

Come crawling faster, Obey your Master, Your life burns faster, Obey your MASTER!!!
MASTER!!!
---Master of Puppets, Metallica
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 08:38 Edited at: 21st Feb 2004 08:44
Here are two reviews from both ends of the "suck" scale.

Cannibal: The Musical

Originally titled Alferd Packer: The Musical, Cannibal is probably one of the funniest movies I've seen in the last few years. Directed by and starring Trey Parker and Matt Stone of South Park fortune, this flick is good for a rainy, sunny, snowy, or hot day.

Trey Parker plays Alferd Packer, a guy who gets charged with murdering five or six fellow miners and eating them too. As he's in jail he tells his story to a local woman and that's how we know what really happened.

I laughed so hard at some of the songs and lines that I was having a hard time seeing with tears in my eyes! Cannibal was originally written for Parker's film school project and was later released on home video. DO NOT MISS THIS ONE!

Cannibal just may make my top 10 movie list...

10/10 <--- one of the rare few for me

Armageddon

Let's recap the Hollywood asteroid paranoia year of 1998. That was the year I quit my theatre job and went on to build computers. Deep Impact was out in May and I gave it an 8, which was, looking back, very generous of me. When Armageddon came out on Canada Day, I was about as stoked to see the film as a pig might be to get his throat slit. It was worse than I thought it would be, and I knew it would be the typical 'formula' film. Ha ha ha, I can pick those types of revenue generators from a dozen miles away. Bruce Willis stars as Liv 'Yummy' Tyler's father, a hard working oil driller who doesn't appreciate Ben Affleck banging his daughter behind his back. If he would've gotten permission first, then it wouldn't have been a big deal. The US Intelligence discover an asteroid sailing towards earth and the only way to break it up into smaller pieces is to drill the sucker. Hmm... where do you think Bruce comes in. So to make a long story short the rest of the movie was designed to keep the most amount of people on the edges of their seats for the most amount of time. Formula, formula, formula. Oh no, they need to get off the asteroid in ten seconds or they blow up! 10, 9, 8 --- typical Hollywood countdown -- 2, 1, blast off! Wow, good thing the astronauts got off the asteroid with one second to spare! Do the bigwigs in California think we're all idiots who will accept anything? I guess we are, Armageddon pulled in top place at the box office that weekend of July '98. Have to give it an extra point for Steve Buscemi's appearance.

1/10

http://www.jeku.com/audio/
Ancient Chinese proverb: Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
stann65
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 12:09
for those people who liked fight club you might want to see Oceans Eleven. This is a good film with a good story line and has got a good cast of actors in it (george clooney , brad pitt and julia roberts).

2 fast 2 furiouse

if your into cars this film is great, full of action and adrenaline an easy 8/10 and a great sequal to the first.

go onto my site
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 14:19 Edited at: 21st Feb 2004 14:22
Quote: "for those people who liked fight club you might want to see Oceans Eleven"

Not even close. Oceans Eleven was a good robbery movie. Fight club was in a totally different league. 10/10 for Fight Club, and they aren't even similar movie types. Unless you are a bird, in which case Brad Pitt is in both. Whatever.

Quote: "2 fast 2 furiouse"

No "E" on the end BTW. And that was the biggest load of rubbish. Thought the first one was pretty good (love Supras) for a laugh (was very very very drunk at the time), and even own the DVD (again, I really love Supras/ Evo's etc). But the second one... the second one..... oh god.... and the bit with the jumping over the bridge at the start????????????????!Q!""!SDFSDFSDF!£"!£!"£ Grrrrrr..... 1/10. And thats for the Spyder that my friend liked. Not for the stupid bloody colour scheme (I forgave the orange makeover the Supra got in the original). If you want a cool car movie watch Taxi 1 or 2. It's French, and they tend to lean on Pugs, but some nice Evo's etc, and amazing chase scenes (think Ronin but better). And is really funny. Esp. at the start of the second one where he is annoyed by the "sunday driver", and overtakes him on a tight bend. Happens to be the race leader of a rally (some famous french bloke). He zooms off to the hospital as he has a pregnant women in the back of his cab. Class.

Oh, and Flight club's only rival (for me) was Memento. Fantastic movie. Wonderful. And the DVD has a hidden option to show it all the correct way around too. Nice. Although nowhere near as good as the proper version of course. 10/10 for that one too.

Cheers

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I've seen it all now! They are making a movie version of The Magic Roundabout! Robbie Williams is Doogle!

Nooooooooooooooooooo!

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 15:34
Lost In Translation

Sofia Coppola proves she is a won hit wonder with this touching, uplighting and delicate masterpiece. It tells the story of..... not a damn lot. The unlikely frienship between two Americans in Tokyo, which is handled so beautifully and respectfully that you will honestly not realise a large proportion of it is people looking out of windows. Probably not the type of film for you sinners who liked LXG (A car jumping venice?! Give me strength) but more a reflective and laid back movie that you will have a hard time not liking. Fully deserving of all it's Oscar noms whcih include Best Film, Sceenplay, Director and Actor.

P.S. Explosions not included.

City Of God

There is really nothing I can say to do this justice. Quite simply, the freshest, boldest, more exciting, gripping and emotionally affecting film you will see this decade. The story tracks the youths of a notorious Brazilian slum from the sixies to the nineties, the direction is nothing short of spell-binding - it provides so many 'moments' you will have a hard time remembering them. The style is made ever more gritty by the facts that it is based on a true story and that half the actors are real people who live in the slums. Definately should win Best Director. Startling film-making, end of story.

hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 16:25
@Neophyte

Quote: "paticular the part toward the end when he finds out who Pitt really is in the hotel room"

i found that out first time i watched it, i watched it the 2nd time just to see if i missed anything else out in the beginning now that i knew who pitt really was...

Chris K
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 17:20
I know what you mean.

There's a shot where Norton is being lifted off the floor by himself (?!)

Like this:

We all understand what is going on (it does actually say it, you don't need to 'work it out'). That is actually impossible though.

Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 18:14
Oceans Eleven was great
Armaggedon sucked

Come crawling faster, Obey your Master, Your life burns faster, Obey your MASTER!!!
MASTER!!!
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 18:53
@Chris Knott

thank you exactly what i meant... and i guess your right.

Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 19:18
@Chris Knott

Its not impossible. There were no wires involved at all. He was using his legs and doing some pretty damn convincing acting. You did notice how his legs were moving the whole time didn't you? There was never a point when he was being draged when he wasn't moving his legs back and forth like he was walking(becuase thats what he was doing, albiet he was trying to make like he was being dragged. Apparently he was quite successful ).

@Hexgear

"thank you exactly what i meant... and i guess your right."

Oh, sorry. I thought you meant you didn't understand why Pitt couldn't be seen.
stann65
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 19:23
a beautiful mind

this film has a great storyline.

It is John Nash (Russel Crow) and he is this Maths genius and he starts to see things that are not really there but appear there to him and as the story unfolds it becomes a great film and it is also a true stort.

go onto my site
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 22:43
Quote: "Armaggedon sucked"

i thought it was pretty cool

Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 22:56
when it came out i was 7-so did I, enough for me to rewatch it a year ago. it sucked

MASTER!!!
hexGEAR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2004 00:34
yeah... age does that

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 09:44:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 09:44:49