Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Orchestral music?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 20th Feb 2004 21:36
Hope Ive spelt that right...

My project when in later stages would require this kind of music to suit the style of the game, but I dont have a 96-piece orchestra to hand so is there any way I can compose some using the computer? Ive got Fruityloops 3 and Im pretty good with it if it helps...

Im expecting fallout to turn up soon...

Cheers

Currently thinking of a new company name
Sticking to a project idea for once
Northern Fist
Years of Service
User Offline
From what I hear, Fruityloops is totally incapable of composing rich orchestral melodies. The only chance you have of doing so is to get a version of FruityLoops that has the piano-roll, and if you want to use a keyboard do two other things:
1. Buy an extremely expensive professional audio card that can handle the input from a MIDI keyboard/device.
2. Acquire the actual MIDI device.

Instead of going through those two steps you could simply mouse around with the virtual piano-roll device for about two years until you piece together note-by-note the orchestral melodies and harmonies and then place them in the appropriate time tracks (another month or so).

Sorry to sound so pessimist, I've got a very similar problem to yours, except that I haven't actually got the Fruityloops Producer in the mail yet (I already ordered it).

"The keyboard is mightier than the sword."
...2D map editor with parallax layering in the works (60%completed)...
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 16:47
if you foresee orchestral as well as other types of music being a creation necessity on your part, you may want to invest in a decent midi synthesizer. Yamaha makes some very feature rich, fairly inexpensive ones.

-RUST-
"What the... Mooooooooooo!"
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 16:50
Melody Assistant is what I use - do a google search.

"They misunderestimated us" - George Bush
"The box said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed LINUX. "

Formerly David89.
Northern Fist
Years of Service
User Offline
You also have to make sure you have all the instruments your ideas will require to make a reality. If it requires a good piano, yo might have to download a better sample. If the track has a complicated 80 piece violin melody, you might need to look for a really good sample. The good thing about fruityloops is that there are alot of free instruments out there - just do a google search.

Grim_Reaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 20:34
Gigastudio is the absolute best sampler for orchestral music.

http://www.nemesysmusic.com

http://www.corewaveaudio.co.nr
Northern Fist
Years of Service
User Offline
C'mon, Moonshine may be one of us unfortunate people who cannot possibly shell out 5-6 hundred dollars on a dime.

Grim_Reaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 21st Feb 2004 21:19
True, I wasn't either, I had to work to buy it. But even still, realistic orchestral music is always going to cost you a hell of a lot. If you dont mind orchestral music that sounds fake(but not BAD really, just fake), then just stick with FL and get some orchestral soundfonts.

Aaron

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2004 00:20
Fortunately, I can't carry a note even if you give me a bucket. So, I don't have to worry about that. I'll probably hire a composer or find one that will work for credits and royalties.

If anyone remembers the music from Incubation (a mix of orchestral, military, and horror themes), I'll be shopping around next year.
--
TAZ

Gery
Years of Service
User Offline
i wondering, where to download instruments to sound blaster live!....

...and then the evil hungarian terrorist killed the peacefull shootin' soviet soldiers...
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2004 08:37
sigh...

Amist the Blue Skies...
Grim_Reaper
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2004 09:28
Ge3ri, do you mean soundfonts? just search for soundfonts on google and you'll find loads of sites.

M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2004 00:18
Thanks for all the replies guys...

I have A Sound Blaster Live! and in a cupboard I have an old, if not functional MIDI Yamaha keyboard. I also have ACID and Soundforge. My cousin is a bit of an amateur DJ/musician who may be able to help.

Now it is early days so I dont need to make the music yet but I was just planning ahead so I could prepare. Thanks for the help and I'll have a look around. Google last time I checked seemed to be pretty bad at finding samples (free ones anyway).

Cheers

Currently thinking of a new company name
Sticking to a project idea for once

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 09:39:56
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 09:39:56