Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / need help - im new here

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2004 12:20
I'm looking at making a space invaders style clone but where do i start??? any help would be grand.

EIM_set][comest>vartat - it don't mean a thing
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2004 13:38
dbpro comes with a space invaders type game i think. you could look through that.

"eureka" - Archimedes
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 22nd Feb 2004 15:44
Make the laser base and the bullet, then get it to slide from side to side and fire the bullets in the correct "space invader" manner, IE only fire one if the previous one was destroyed, this has the advantage of not only being true to the original, but it`s easier to code as well

Then make the shields (from several thin objects stacked together) and make it so that the player can shoot out parts of them by deleting the thin objects the bullets collide with, after that you want to add just one invader and get him to march from side to side and approach you at the end of each row.

After that you can make hime fire back at random intervals and then add a bunch of mates to keep him company, then finaly add the random bonus saucer and the score displays, and thats it, just tweak it so that it gets faster for each level completed, search the net for the original sounds and gfx (they are out there...I did a clone a couple of years back), and thats it, one copy of invaders, add in a line that will display "coded by vertexrexx" whenever you press a key and you can show it to your mates and when they say "you didn`t code that" then get them to press key x

Mentor.

Get Pro sorted, I am a customer not a BETA tester.
The Lone Programmer
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2004 08:25
Is this space invaders going to be 2d or 3d.
If its 2d then i suggest you make a everything a sprite and every sprite a box. Get your ship movenent of that box. Then make a shoot command to shoot another sprite which at start could be a line.
Make everything real cheap and real simple.

For 3d i couldnt help you....... im a 2d guy

Hope I helped

Nicolas

vertexrex
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2004 15:05
it's 2d cause I love classic 2d games they will live forever. i've done most of the gfx but i seam to be struggleing with the movement

EIM_set][comest>vartat - it don't mean a thing
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2004 15:56
Have a look at the Newcomers forum, there's a whole stack of relevant questions that have been answered.

Also, check out the tutorials, although they are not about Space Invaders, the concepts are relevant.

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 22:42:26
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 22:42:26