Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Why is this happening? Particles Problem, DBP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2004 14:50
I am totally new to particles, I am looking at the manual, and the example, I don't understand what I am doing, let alone what I am doing wrong. I have tried to mess with the example code, I have deleted some stuff, and changed some stuff, I have tried to remove the scaled sphere for the floor, and then the screen doesn't seem to update properly, I think I am digging a hole for myself, what I am trying to do I have a point where the particles appear, and I would like the particles to be a fair size, not pixel size, the point of emmision (I think that is where the particles start) to rise, and all the one that have all ready been generated to rise a little bit faster, one of the problems I am having is the particles are spreading out too much, I would like to limit the area they cover? What am I doing wrong. Can anybody please explain particles to me, in lay-mans terms, please...

Don't jump, if you do you will only fall, and hurt yourself
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 23rd Feb 2004 22:44
I'd say that you need to re-read the help file. All the particle commands seem pretty obvious to me with the exception of...

Quote: "GHOST PARTICLES ON
This command will ghost a particles object. Ghosted particles will appear transparent when rendered, creating effects such as see-through smoke and fire. The Ghost Mode with a range of 0 to 5 specify the type of ghosting to perform."

I find it kind of retarded that they do not mention what the six modes are.

Perhaps what you're doing wrong is not what you're doing but what you are expecting. A particles object is simply a 'programmable' sprite generator. You make the object and use the other commands to control its behavior. Based on what you have already written, check out the SET PARTICLE SPEED and SET PARTICLE CHAOS commands. They will control the movement rate of your particles and the amount a variation.

As always, feel free to post code and images. This is the only way that all of us can see your problem and help you fix it.
--
TAZ

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 22:28:44
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 22:28:44