Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Reinstalling XP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2004 21:26
Hi,
I have a virus on my computer which I can't get rid of, I want to wipe off all of my existing files and reinstall Windows XP.

I already tried just reinstalling Windows but it copied all my old files back on!

Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Thanx.

hello moto
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2004 21:44
you need to "format your hard drive", search for a how to guide on google, most important thing is to make a backup of everything important first especially your hardware drivers!

In the beginning, the universe was created...
This made alot of people very angry and it has been widely regarded as a bad idea...
Visit http://redeye.dbspot.com
Shady 2005 Simpson
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2004 21:52
I have all important files on floppy and I think I have all my hardware drivers on a CD.

Thanx for your reply RedEye I'll lookfor it now.

hello moto
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 24th Feb 2004 21:57
XP setup will partition and format your drive for you.

http://www.jeku.com/audio/
Ancient Chinese proverb: Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Wik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2004 00:22
take xp disk...boot off it...press "r"....login....type "format c:"....press y....go back to the blue selection screen...hit enter...delete the partition and then make a new one ( for some reason it got messed up when I didn't delete the old partition)....follow onscreen instructions.

heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2004 00:36 Edited at: 25th Feb 2004 00:40
Quote: "I have all important files on floppy and I think I have all my hardware drivers on a CD."
Are you sure about that? Absolutely sure... even your bookmarks and email addys?

Peace, the anti-Bush.
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2004 12:34
My tips for backing up:

If using outlook, backup the .pst file.

If using Outlook express, backup the store folder with all the email files in.

Also remember to export favourites and cookies out of internet explorer and your address book out of outlook express. Cookies are important as it saves you having to remember all your passwords when you revisit forums like this one.

If using dialup, export account settings from within outlook/outlook express. This is because most people forget their dialup usernames and passwords.

I also urge people to store ALL their documents, drivers, files, etc into the 'My Documents' folder as it makes backing up so much easier.

I know so many people that still save files on the root drive.

If using outlook express, then should consider moving the store folder to a folder inside My Documents for easier backing up.

Boo!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 11:52:39
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 11:52:39