Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / M$ offers free CD with patches for 98-XP

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp

Free to all? (US only? I don't know.)

I calculate that this will cost them under 50¢ to send me.
They are getting off cheap, I figured that this was paid for when I bought Windows.

It only covers the security and critical updates though October 2003 so there are still issues unresolved with this solution. Still better than no real support at all which was the imperial plan.

A must read for all M$phobes and other 'tekkies' => http://www.wsws.org/articles/2004/feb2004/wind-f19.shtml

Peace, the anti-Bush.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2004 01:46
Hey, good find! I hate downloading all the updates after I reinstall XP every 4 months or so

And no, I don't believe MS has to do this for free. We can download these updates for free anytime we wish. This CD is just a more convenient way of getting the updates.

And what do you mean no real support?

http://www.jeku.com/audio/
Ancient Chinese proverb: Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2004 02:12 Edited at: 25th Feb 2004 02:14
Quote: "Hey, good find!"

I even beat Slashdot.

Quote: "And what do you mean no real support?"

Obviously you did not read the second link.
The money grubbing bastards had planned to drop any and all support for Win---s 98, 98SE, ME and NT.

Peace, the anti-Bush.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2004 02:17
They've been 'threatening to' for over 2 years now, since their product support timeframe plan was announced. 98 is already dropped by that plan; 98SE would be, but it's being continued by demand. By rights NT should be dropped already. I'm not saying it's a good plan, but anyone who's been keeping a sharp eye out has known about this for a long time now.

--Mouse: Famous (Avatarless) Fighting Furball

I am the chainsaw paladin.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2004 09:37 Edited at: 25th Feb 2004 09:38
@Heartbone -

Well of course I knew that they were *going* to drop support for Win '98, but who cares? Isn't a company allowed to drop support for software after SIX YEARS?

EDIT: NT is way older than that, too.

heartbone
Years of Service
User Offline
Jeku millions of people care.

I bought Win98SE for $189.00 + $13 tax= $202 in January 2002,
that's not six years that's two years.

I think that 'support' could be dropped five years after the last distribution into retail chains, that is fair. It's not like bit flipping has changed all that much recently. It's still all ones and zeroes.

All I need an OS to do is to provide the environment for appliations to run. Forget the rest of the hype dude, it's about marketing. It's not about how old the original version was, it's when you bought it that counts.

Peace, the anti-Bush.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2004 04:11
Well you got your support CD so that's all that matters

DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
"It's not about how old the original version was, it's when you bought it that counts."

no, it's about how many people are still using it. i remember someone posting a chart showing usage of the various incarnations of windows, and from what i remember, 98 was only about 15% and was dropping pretty quickly. once all the people with old computers that were preinstalled with win98 get new computers, you can expect that number to drop drastically. what are you complaining about anyway - didn't you get a new computer with XP?

"the imperial plan."

cause after all it's microsoft's dream to own the world and control all thought go on telling yourself that. conspiracy theorists are some of the most depressing (and depressed) people i know.

athlon xp 2000+ | radeon 9500 pro 128mb | 512MB DDR | winXP pro | DBP 5.1b | B3D 1.85 | VC++ 6
predicted DBP P6 release date: March 28, 2004
DBP has made me bitter.
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2004 04:47
Microsoft isn't the incarnation of evil. But they are most certainly trying to control... well, everything technology related at this point. They're already got home entertainment well under their grasp.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2004 05:07
Quote: "conspiracy theorists are some of the most depressing (and depressed) people i know."

100% agreed.

I have studied Bill Gates and co. quite a bit over the past 5 years as a hobby, reading several biographies, news clippets, his own books, etc., and I have come to a sane conclusion: Most of us would have made the same kinds of decisions he did back when he started out, if we were in his shoes. His original goal was the same as every other entrepreneur - start a company, make lots of money, and make a difference.

Bill Gates != The Devil [C script]
Bill Gates <> The Devil [BASIC script]

He is probably one of the most "normal" billionaires out there, compared to others in the high tech industry. He was in the right place at the right time.

Sorry for the rant.

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2004 05:42 Edited at: 27th Feb 2004 05:42
I may be mistaken but in the EULA that you agree to when you install windows 98 it mentions a 5 year support life for the product. They could have rightly and legally discontinued support for 98 by now but they chose not to. Now they are providing a cd with fixes, so whatever, I guess 98 users have nothing to complain about. What I would like to see is MS releasing less-flawed code to begin with, so all of these constant patches and security updates could be kept to a minimum. But then again it's not like I load them anyway (hotfixes) I only install os/ie Service Packs when new ones are available. Those hotfixes tend to break sh*t, left and right.

-RUST-
"What the... Mooooooooooo!"
Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2004 20:00
Nods to comments from CR and JeKu

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 11:38:47
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 11:38:47