Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Collison detection

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Regarding the make object collison box command, what does it create? a box around the object? and what do X1, Y1, Z1, X2, Y2, Z2 signify? Im currently trying to create collison detection in my program so a entity can predict if another entity will enter its personal space and therefore change its direction, any other info or ideas would be greatly appriciated.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2004 15:21 Edited at: 25th Feb 2004 15:22
Cut your losses and use Nuclear Glory's Collision system.

http://www.nuclearglory.com

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2004 05:35
I didn't see any sarcasm, btw I recommend NG too!
He stated a fact, using NG will cut your losses.

Crazy Donut Productions
Current Project: KillZone
Salop
Years of Service
User Offline
Dont really think this helps guys, im not making a game here. This is for a project and is about modelling human behaviour and therefore decision making about movement. What I really want is a large bubble around each of my entitiesso they can assess if anyone is nearby. Now back to the question:

Regarding the make object collison box command, what does it create? and what do X1, Y1, Z1, X2, Y2, Z2 signify?
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2004 14:45
Have a search through the Code Snippets and Codebase. I remember seeing tips on detecting other objects within a given range. It's used for cutting down on the number of checks to be made, and also for triggering AI of Non-player characters.

NG Collision will still work, and is easy once you've spent a couple of hours familiarising yourself. You can set the collision sphere to be any size you want. You can also set the result to be to take no action. This way, you can use the feedback functionality to see what else is within your collision spheres, without affecting the position of the objects.

@CMC101 - no sarcasm whatsoever. I have saved many hours of development time by ditching the hit-and-miss, slow DB collision for a tool that is very accurate, very fast and very easy to implement. The logic is highly structured, and once you spend a couple of hours understanding it, the power it gives you is immense.

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 22:22:32
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 22:22:32