Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Question: would a short tutorial on the DBPro 3d maths vector commands be of help?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2004 14:53
One of the questions I see asked time and time again in the forums is "how do DBPro's 3d maths vector commands work?"

Obviously to an extent the answer requires a basic knowledge of vector maths to be comprehensible. However, it strikes me that these commands are an area where, as yet, there is no good tutorial for newcomers.

I will have quite a bit of free time soon. After I leave HK on 8 April I don't resume work in England until 1 July. 3 months unpaid holiday! Woohoo!

I thought I'd ask whether anybody thinks it would be of assistance if I spent a couple of days of that free time writing a short and simple tutorial for people on these commands, together with some good commented code examples?

All views gratefully received.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P1.3ghz / 384 megs / GeForce MX 5200 128meg / WinXP home
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2004 15:13
hell, yes!

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2004 16:27 Edited at: 25th Feb 2004 16:27
I used to be confused by them, and assumed my Vec UDT would suffice, but how wrong I was! Andy Igoe introduced me to DBP's vector system and I haven't looked back since. When it comes to physics systems, they're invaluable! The range of commands available (cross product, dot product, multiply vector etc..) make the whole process so easy.

What might be more difficult is keeping your tutorial fixed on the vector system, rather than turning it into a case study of a physics proggy... Perhaps you should just make an asteroids clone type thing, using the vector system to recreate thrust, intertia and drag (or whatever).

jrowe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2004 19:43 Edited at: 25th Feb 2004 19:44
Good idea! I've been looking for a while for a decent vector tutorial. I understand basic vectors, it's just the DBpro help files don't really tell you how they're implemented.

For Fathers and Sons who enjoy wholy spirits.

http://www.tinnedhead.tk
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2004 20:01
I think this is a great idea

I can use the 'basics' myself, but there are lots of those commands that I don't understand

For free Plug-ins, source and the DBPro Interface library for Visual C++ 6 and .NET
http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
MikeS
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2004 23:07
YES!! The few commands that I know will help me, but I try to avoid because I don't know how to use them.

A tutorial would be excellent Philip.

A book? I hate book. Book is stupid.
Wik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2004 23:08
yes

Grismald
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Feb 2004 23:35
Nice idea .Looking forward to seeing it.
Good luck!

Team EOD: Programmer-3D artist
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2004 07:42
A few months ago I would've loved to see it but since then I'd decided to teach myself the commands and now I know how they work. Oh well, sounds like a good idea for those that still don't know.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2004 18:49
Ok it seems that this would be useful. Everyone can consider this as being in the "definitely going to happen" category.

I shall try and write a tutorial with accompanying demonstrative commented code. It will be aimed principally at beginners upwards. In addition to explaining the DBPro commands it will also explain the basics of vector maths as well as I feel you have to understand this to understand the commands.

In terms of the date of likely publication, I've noted that I don't leave HK until 8 April. I arrive back in the UK on 9 April and immediately after that weekend I am off to Spain with my parents for a week to look over our little investment out there. Therefore we are looking at mid April for publication. I can't realistically promise publication beforehand because the last few weeks here in HK are proving very hectic as I have a lot of arrangements to make (as you can imagine) and I have to go to Perth, Australia, for one of those weeks to attend a friend's wedding.

Watch this space.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P1.3ghz / 384 megs / GeForce MX 5200 128meg / WinXP home
Wik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 26th Feb 2004 23:37
Cool

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2004 07:05
Quote: "and I have to go to Perth, Australia, for one of those weeks to attend a friend's wedding"

Bwahahaha! We have you now!

Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2004 17:36 Edited at: 27th Feb 2004 17:37
I should start writing a few tutorials just to boost TH's website population, and i *will* refrain from "hello world" cos they p!ss eveyrone off. Though it seems like evryones beating me to it

http://www.tinnedhead.tk under re-construction.
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2004 20:04
@Exeat

The last person to say that phrase was Darth Vader at the battle of Yavin ... and look what happened to him!

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2004 00:04
But he sure gave them hell before they got away!

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 07:19
Ok. I've been planning what I am going to write. Its all very well to write about mathematics in the abstract but I think I will also need some "real life" illustrations of how the commands can be used in practice.

So in order to illustrate my tutorials I need some examples of how to use the commands to solve common game issues. My plan is to pick, say, 10 topics and in my tutorials talk the reader through how you would go about using the 3d vector maths commands (and some basic trig) to solve them. I will then include some commented code which solves them.

The topics I am planning to cover in the tutorials as examples to date include (in no particular order):

1. a "work around" example of how to get accurate X, Y and Z angles for objects being rotated and translated using the DBPro freeflight commands (there is a known DBPro bug with this but there is an easy solution using the acos of the dot product of the cardinal axis normals);

2. typical Asteroids style movement for 2d and the equivalent pseudo-inertial system of 3d movement which Silent and I ran up together.

3. lensflares;

4. a target lead indicator; and

5. an example 3d space radar.

What I would like are, say, another 5 topics so that I have 10 in total. I'm after topics similar to the above. In other words, topics which require some reasonably straight forward vector maths to solve and which are not too large otherwise they may become unduly confusing to the reader.

If anyone can suggest a few more, I'd be grateful. Don't go mad though. Thats my job.

Philip

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 07:51
Wow, can't wait

This is the first time I ever anticipated something good from an Animated Bear.

Amist the Blue Skies...
Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 09:34
Might I suggest a little tutorial on axial billboarding? The implementation of them is a problem that has plagued coders for quite some time.

The math behind it uses vectors as well as assorted amounts of trig IIRC.

There is a rather long article on flipcode that deals with billboarding that explains the math behind it. You can find it here at: http://www.flipcode.com/articles/article_rtr2billboards.shtml

This link talks about regular billboarding and axial billboarding down toward the bottom.

Hopefully you can make heads or tails of it and give us poor saps a clue as to how to get it to work in DBPro.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 11:46:17
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 11:46:17