Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Sharing broadband connection help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2004 14:50
Hi, Ive been struggling with this for a while, weve been trying to network our AOL broadband connection. Its a cable DSL modem BTW. Well so far what we can do is use the net fine, but not at the same time. Effectively its like being on a dialup but with the speed and access to the phone. Well AOL dials up a little differently than most and what happens is everytime you turn the modem on it generates a new IP, which is what allows us to go on, as long as you turn the modem off and back on again. If I went on, signed off then my dad went on, he wouldnt be able to connect unless he generated a new IP. Its a belkin router, cant be sure of the model at the moment though. Any help would be greatly appreciated. PS I live in the UK.

Currently thinking of a new company name
Sticking to a project idea for once
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2004 14:57
The Belkin router should be doing all the hard work. How is modem connected. It should be connected to router. Router should be acting as a DHCP server. Modem should stay on all the time. It will get an IP from AOL every now and again. You should set pc's to get IP address automatically. They will get a local ip address, usually 192.168.0.???

The router does all the clever stuff and passes stuff to the modem as if 1 pc is connected.

Boo!
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2004 15:23
We've got a USB modem for our broadband, so we have it plugged straight into our server computer. Then we set that one us a the default gateway computer for the others, which lets them know they need to hit it back for some internet action. If you have a USB modem, that's what you need to do - you can even use the built in home networking wizard and ... by god ... it works!!!

Insiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2004 16:15
You have to fool AOL into thinking that your on 1 IP address I think... Theres a thing called NAT which shares your IP to do this, but somewhere in the settings were having trouble. Its connected via ethernet.

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2004 16:57
Exactly. The router fools AOL into thinking you are on 1 IP address using NAT. It accepts net requests from all your pc's which will all have different LOCAL ip addresses. The router then sends these off to AOL using the 1 IP address it gets from AOL. When the pages come back they are routed back to the originating pc.

Just make sure DHCP is turned on in the router and you should be ok.

You can make sure this is working properly but typing 'ipconfig' at a dos prompt on any of your pc's.

It will tell you ip address assigned to you by router. For example I get 192.168.0.1 my flatmate might get 192.168.0.2

Can you confirm modem is plugged into router and not through another pc. If using router you should NOT be using ICS (internet connection sharing).

Boo!
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2004 02:35
Yes, modem is plugged into router. It works fine as I can get on the net, but only one person at a time. Whats ICS and how do you disable/get to it?

Oraculaca
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2004 03:18
I dont know about AOL-DSL but with blueyonder cable , you need to tell them what mac addresses your network card or router is

In a permanent state of 'Under Construction'

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 11:40:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 11:40:24