Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / I NEED HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2004 18:36
For the last four months I have been trying to get my 1st-person shooter to work. It seems that no matter what I try I cannot get either my gun or my stat-bar(which is a textured plane) to collide with the walls. Every try it seems to go straight through the wall. I would be deeeeeeply greatful if you could help me out.

If you require the source code for the game contact me a [email]smoosh9044@earthlink.net

Use The Force Luke!
comando 300
Years of Service
User Offline
did you try to make the "monster hunter" tutorial?

CURRENT PROJECT: RETRO PAC-MAN
Obee Wan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2004 18:46
Unfortunatley yes
At this point collision detection is the only problem with the game.
Music and gfx are all in lolol, but its just this one thing that is bugging me. I have even tried useing many 3rd party routines

Use The Force Luke!
HowDo
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2004 18:53
This might help

If Object collision(1,0)>0
delete object Object collision(1,0)
endif

it return's then number of object hit.

In Space No One can Hear You Scream! (When your comm Line is cut?)
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2004 19:05
One easy fix. Here is the command along with the description from the help files. I believe it is exactly what you want ...

BTW, next time follow these rules when giving your post a title...

- Don't use all capital letters, it's not very appealing when people consider looking at it.
- Don't add 15 thousand exclamation marks to the end, same reason
- Choose a title that is relevent to the subject, maybe like "Help with gun sticking through wall...", people then think 'I know how to fix that', you will get a better reponse than just saying "HELP!".

Not nagging, just how stuff works. Hope I helped .

Trying is the first step towards faliure.
The Basics of DBPro Tutorial, on my site now!
Athelon XP 1600 Plus (1.4ghz) - ATI Radeon 9600 Pro - 256mb RAM
Aramil
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 27th Feb 2004 19:59
Okay...I'm going to assume you know nothing, just so I can cover everything, okay?(no offense meant)

First, You want to add collision boxes
Make object collision box [object number],-[object size x/2],-[object size y/2],-[object size z/2],[object size x/2],[object size y/2],[object size z/2],0
example:
Say you have a box with a size of 50 3d space units(cubed), with an object number of 1

Make object collision box 1,-25,-25,-25,25,25,25,0

Okay...what I think may have gone wrong is that you may have put your movement and collision codes in the wrong order. If not, then I have no idea! Here are some examples, as well as the order:

1)Player controls
If upkey()=1 then move object 1,2
If downkey()=1 then move object 1,-2
If rightkey()=1 then yrotate object 1,wrapvalue(object angle y(1)+3)
If leftkey()=1 then yrotate object 1,wrapvalue(object angle y(1)-3)

2)Get location variables
Posx#=object position x(1)
Posy#=object position y(1)
Posz#=object position z(1)

3)Gravity effect, if desired
Gravity#=gravity#-1
Posy#=posy#+gravity#

4)Handle collision
If object collision(1,0)>0
dec posx#,get object collision x()
dec posy#,get object collision y()
dec posz#,get object collision z()
endif

5)Re-position object
Position object 1,posx#,posy#,posz#

Hope I helped you!!

-Aramil
Obee Wan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 28th Feb 2004 00:22
Thanks every body for replying to my problem I will try this stuff
out and update maybe tomarrow. Just as a reminder: The game is to be like ID Softwares Wolfenstien 3-D/Spear of Destiny, in a sence of how the player interacts with its enviroment

Use The Force Luke!
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 29th Feb 2004 08:58
Two words: Nuclear Glory

Go ahead and learn the default collision in db, then it you just want to kill it, check out nuclearglory.com and be amazed.

Crazy Donut Productions
Current Project: KillZone
Obee Wan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2004 18:20
I looked at the Nuclear Glory web site but it said it was for DBPro. All I have is regular DB.

Use The Force Luke!
Obee Wan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2004 18:28
OOOPs my bad I forgot to tell yo all that my code uses the camera to move arround with the stat-bar and the gun attatched to the camera. But that is also why i told you guys to e-mai me for the code!

Use The Force Luke!
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2004 18:35
What is it you want? From your original post it seemed that you wanted the gun and statbar to not go through the walls when you get too close. DISABLE OBJECT ZDEPTH objnum will fix that, but if collision is what you need (for the camera colliding with the surroundings) then Nuclear Glory is what you need. There is a free version FOR DBC down right near the bottom of the page, it's cleverly hidden (that's marketing for you).

Obee Wan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 17:09
I'm sorry. Its just that I've become greatly agravated with this project and I am apparently missing many details on what I need to be looking for.

Use The Force Luke!
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 17:17
Don't worry Obee Wan, I am also a Classic user. Even the new versions support DB Classic. The free version 1.5 mentioned by Hamish McHaggins is pretty good, I just found it a little difficult to use. Version 2.03 is the newest version, and you can download a shareware version that will run for about five minutes each time you run, then the collision will stop. We've been using this until we can scrounge up $15 of spare cash to get the full version.

Crazy Donut Productions
Current Project: KillZone
Dark Serpent
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2004 04:53
Obee Wan I thought that was Gandolf

$$$Serpant$$$
Obee Wan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2004 18:42 Edited at: 13th Mar 2004 18:43
No, thats Ben Canobee played by Sir Alec Guiness

I also need to update my e-mail adress : louisevebuantello@charter.net

Use The Force Luke!
Obee Wan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2004 18:30
OK maybe you guys need my code to help me. The code may give you more of a insight on what my problem is. I warn you though there is a copyright notice in the code itself! if you copy my code I will see you in court(no offence)!!! But anyway, hope you find this usefull

Use The Force Luke!
Cyberflame
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2004 19:43
Dude.... you need some serius gosubs in there.... No offence, but theres really not enough in that to even consider wasting money to sue some one...

quad 10k terrahert cpu| 9k^9k terrabyte(tb) hd|stolen military graphics card capable of rendering all of the pixar movies in 5 secs|999^9k tb of ram

15in monitor with 13in veiwable screen
Obee Wan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2004 21:38
Cyberflame, I don't think you understand the problem here, my post was:

[/quote] For the last four months I have been trying to get my 1st-person shooter to work. It seems that no matter what I try I cannot get either my gun or my stat-bar(which is a textured plane) to collide with the walls. Every try it seems to go straight through the wall. I would be deeeeeeply greatful if you could help me out.

I didnt say any thing about gosubs. My program only needs 1 goto so far any way for the credits and title. Besides that I am willing to fight an army of 10,000 to keep my code safe from those who may want to copy it.

So Please only post a message here if you are going help me with my problem, not tell me if my program is not structured enough. I am only saying this because this project is very important to my company, SSG.

Use The Force Luke!
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2004 16:38
I'll resist the obvious temptations here and instead limit myself to helping this chap out.

Mr. Obee Wan the command you are looking for is DISABLE OBJECT ZDEPTH. You can find it in page 75 of the reference manual that accompanies DBPro. Basically when this command is applied to a DBPro object it means it is drawn over the top of any other objects, regardless of their relative Z depth positions in the camera frustrum.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P1.3ghz / 384 megs / GeForce MX 5200 128meg / WinXP home
Obee Wan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2004 18:05 Edited at: 18th Mar 2004 18:07
Sorry Phillip, I have DBC. But out of curriosity would that stop me from going through the wall if I had DBPro? Because That is the problem. If you give me you e-mail adress I will sen you a demo exe. . Or would it work with DBC too(i have tried it before after another person sugessted this remedy but, with failing results), maybe because I am not doing it right.

Use The Force Luke!
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2004 18:29 Edited at: 18th Mar 2004 18:29
It should stop your gun going through the wall in DBPro. Basically what it does I think is it to tell the rendering pipeline that the gun will be drawn over the top of all other 3d objects. Hence the Z depth of the gun in the camera frustrum is being ignored.

There must be an equally straightforward way to accomplish this in DBC. I don't have DBC so I'm afraid I can't help you there. Why not ask one of the DBC forum angels such as JessTicular?

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P1.3ghz / 384 megs / GeForce MX 5200 128meg / WinXP home
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2004 19:11
WHAT DO YOU WANT!?!?

Sorry for losing my temper but you are not being clear! Choose on of the two options from below as your problem, then look at the answers...

PROBLEMS
1. You have no problem with collision, ie. preventing the camera/player from going through the wall like a ghost would. Your problem is that you're gun is so long (snigger) that when you walk near to a wall it sticks through it and you can only see part of your gun.

2. You can't stop your player from going through the wall, it just walks through the wall without even stopping and you appear on the other side of the wall. You want the camera to stop when you reach a wall.

SOLUTIONS
1. DISABLE OBJECT ZDEPTH!!!

2. Judging by your code you are using SET OBJECT COLLISION ON and expecting the camera to just stop when it hits an object. That is not the case, SET OBJECT COLLISION ON enables collision detecting, which makes the command OBJECT COLLISION() return a 1 if the object is colliding with another object. If this is so, please refer to the code box for an example taken from the DBC help files which shows how to do sliding collision. The example is also under the EXAMPLES --> BASIC 3D --> SLIDING COLLISION. You could also search the codebase or the code snippets forum for more code. Otherwise use the Nuclear Glory Dll.

Hope I helped.

Obee Wan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2004 19:32
Well.......you see, Im not sure exactly I very new at dark basic and its abit different from what Im used to(C++,ASM,and Fortran). I specialized in hardware drivers and OS writng not game writing Sorry. If you will give me your e-mail I will give you a demo so that you can give me an answer.

Use The Force Luke!
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2004 19:43
My email is accessed by pressing the button at the bottom of all my posts labelled "EMAIL". I don't see what you don't get, i tried to word the two situations as simply as possible, with as little programming terms as possible. Which problem are you having? What do you want your program to do that it is not doing now, try and explain it in real life terms, as if the fps were real life. Maybe then you will have more sucess in getting across your point, and we more sucess at answering it .

Athelon XP 1600+/Radeon 9600 Pro/256 RAM
Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2004 21:29
C++? ASM? Fortran? Sue someone? for that code?, you HAVE to be trolling, if you ever wrote code in any of the former it never ran, and who would want to steal and put their name to that mess?, you don`t even understand the basics of code structure and apparently don`t understand the help files either, Beginers.All-purpose.Symbolic.Instruction.Code (B.A.S.I.C) should be a doddle to someone of your implied skills.

If you want help then by all means ask, but don`t try to come on all "wunderkind", that code is a childish mess and if it`s the result of four months work then I do wonder what you did on your 123.99 days off, that much code (in quantity) should take you 5-10 minutes (properly organised and working), thats why I am pretty much sure you are just trying to waste peoples time, when you have a serious question and you are willing to listen to people who take the time to try and help then ask again.

Mentor.

PC1: P4 hyperthreading 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, ATI radeon 9800 pro gfx, 6 way surround sound, PC2: AMD 1.2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra gfx, stereo 16 bit soundblaster, ups.
Obee Wan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2004 21:54 Edited at: 18th Mar 2004 22:07
I don't think you understand, project this post is concerning is written n DBC not the other languages. BASIC is new for me, because I started out in C++. As for the rest of the code that is the best I can do. If you have a problem with that and decide you are going to insult me about something Im new at then buzz off. Besides I have written many things in those other languages and and they have ran quite well. You shouldn't judge a book by its cover. Just because I am good at other more complex things doesn't mean that I am good at everything else. And your little 5-10 min. comment is false because not all people are as good as you think you are sir. Ontop of that can you even write in C++, ASM or FORTRAN. You sir, are wasting my time. Just because I know how and operating system works and what a devise specific interrupt is doesn't mean I am going to know how to program in BASIC. And if you ever programed in C++, FORTRAN, or ASM than you would know that code structure varies from language to language because of the syntax!!! There for it is normal for me to write unstructured programs, [b]especually when i am new at it!!

Use The Force Luke!
Hamish McHaggis
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2004 18:56
I'm sorry, I'm trying to help here and you aren't answering.

So you're new to DB, but I want to know in laymans terms what you are trying to accomplish in your game, not in technical terms, just in general gaming terms. Please answer my question, because if you don't know what you want, then I don't have a chance in hell of understanding what you want, therefore I can't help you. I will try again, do you...

A.) Want to prevent the player from walking through the walls?

or

B.) Want to prevent the tip of the gun from going through the walls.

or

C.) Something else (please write below)

Problem: _______________________________________

Athelon XP 1600+/Radeon 9600 Pro/256 RAM

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 02:58:21
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 02:58:21