Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Oscar awards thoughts?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2004 08:08
For those of you that watched, how do you feel about the winners for this year?

Lord of the Rings winning best picture really wasn't a surprise as it took home a total of 11 awards--- basically everything it was nominated for won.

I enjoyed Lost in Translation so I'm glad Sofia Coppola got best original screenplay award.

Sean Penn deserved Best Actor, as did Tim Robbins for Best Supporting. I haven't seen Charlize Theron's or Renee Zelweger's movies so I'm not sure if they were acceptable or not.

Anyone else?

http://www.jeku.com/audio/
Ancient Chinese proverb: Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2004 13:41
Well, mind if i change the subject to flicks that should have been nominated / got an award???

Cabin Fever -> Comedy, u gotta love films that keep on trying to end over and over. Somming to do with thick accountants rounding up to the nearest thousand evenry few seconds.

Tomb Radier 2 -> Angelina Jolie, need to say more?

Leauge of XGentalmen -> Action/Adventure

Bad Boys 2 -> Pure class, pure class.

Bah, i see too many movies, rent one every sunday, they all blur together

Maybe i should do a film review every sunday on the latest flik out @ blockers...

Whats so good about living anywho?
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2004 14:29
Cabin Fever : Haven't seen it. Can't comment.

Tomb Raider 2 : You are joking aren't you? Watch Gia if you want "need to say more?"

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen : Complete let down. I take it the is winking as in you are totally joking about that one. As it is crap.

Bad Boys 2 : Fair enough. Only just lost out to the first one because of the original's cool storyline. Action was top notch though.

One every Sunday? I used to go to the pictures every Saturday, and rented out 2 films at least 4 times a week. This was in my working hard, less alcohol days. Now is only a couple of movies a week.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I watch a film every day! I thought that was normal. Not to mention 'Back To Reality!' and a load of comedy stuff. Once a week is tea total.

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2004 19:13
lol - at £3.75 per movie its evpensive, £1.50 for pop corn and £1.50 for crisps.

Its not the only flic i watch a week, i watch a few from my collection and the ones on TV.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2004 19:17
LOTR deserved every one it got .

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2004 19:31
Quote: " basically everything it was nominated for won."

not basically. It did win everything it was nominated for. Yay!!!

[quote]LOTR deserved every one it got .[quote]

My consensus is that i agree with this coment.

Isn't it horrible that whole families have to be torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs...
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Leauge of XGentalmen"

amazing....

Dig a pit and poo in it
Gery
Years of Service
User Offline
kill all the stinky 'stars' .

...and then the evil hungarian terrorist killed the peacefull shootin' soviet soldiers...
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2004 20:31
Well, here in Vancouver it can cost upwards of $13-15 for just a movie ticket!

I'm glad Jonny Dep didn't get Best Actor-- I mean, come on. I thought it was a lame movie as it is.

@Martyn - Action movies hardly ever get anything other than technical oscars, IF that even. Did you see Jolie at the awards? She was the definition of hot IMO.

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2004 21:28
Johnny Depp was fantastic. I've never seen him put on a bad performance. And the movie was truly excellent.

I hope you guys are joking about LXG. I'd give it a 6/10 top, and that's with me being forgiving about fake looking special effects (with the exceptions of Hyde, because he wasn't CGI, and Skinner, who was neat), vast plot holes, a ridiculous Captain Nemo and a flop of a climax.

Mentor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2004 21:36 Edited at: 1st Mar 2004 21:41
I was glad to see LOTR scoop all those oscars, maybe that will encourage the movie industry to take the trouble to make decent movies rather than some of the canned rubbish they churn out,Tomb Raider was the best game tie in movie to date and rather promising, a Tomb Raider series could have been the Bond (007) of the new millenium, but Cradle of Life was one of the worst sequels ever, they can`t even tell the difference between legends and mythology, Pandoras box is a MYTH, not a legend based on something that was based on factual events DOH!, and the end section was so low budget it was pathetic, one cr*p stage set cave with a glowing box in a black puddle, oh please!, so impressive!, not!, "cashing in" is the phrase that springs to mind.

At least Peter Jackson took the time and trouble to make a real classic epic, it`s pleasure to watch and re-watch the films over for the wealth of detail you can miss the first time around, can`t wait to add the short and extended ROTK editions to my collection, awesome, "time for some more epic movies made with the same attention to detail" is the message that the movie industry should be hearing loud and clear, well deserved.

Mentor.

1: P4 hyperthreading 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, ATI radeon 9800 pro gfx, 6 way surround sound, 2: AMD 1.2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra gfx, stereo 16 bit soundblaster, ups.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
LOTR?...jeez...I guess I'm going to have to watch 2 and 3 just to see if it's any good. I've got a feeling that I'm not going to like it. I hated part 1.

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2004 21:59
Mentor - You purchase both the short and extended versions of each film?

Ian T
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2004 22:31
Short versions have some specials that don't make it onto the extended DVDs .

pincho-> I can only guess you simply don't appreciate fantasy?

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2004 23:12
Quote: "LOTR?...jeez...I guess I'm going to have to watch 2 and 3 just to see if it's any good. I've got a feeling that I'm not going to like it. I hated part 1.
"

I supose they can be boring but you´ve got to admit they are masterpieces, especialy the extended dvds.

Libera tu mente y te liberaras a ti.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I like nearly all films. I have about 300 here. I like fantasy, I have Both Harry Potter films. I have LOTR book, and The Hobbit. I was looking forward to the film of LOTR. I just felt that they really ruined it. But that was part 1.

HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "Bad Boys 2 -> Pure class, pure class."

If by "pure class" you mean "they drop the f-bomb every five words" then you're right, it is pure class.

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Mnemonix
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2004 23:40
I Watched the oscars live (probably the only briton here who did). Billy crystals opening was sensational and i cant say i was too suprised with the outcomes.

Watch this space if you like getting bored...
http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/?gf=irc <<Visit the chat!.;
jrowe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2004 23:45
I didn't watch it. I can't stand award ceremonies, always full of annoying celebs trying to pump up their egos. I did however watch the BAFTAs the whole way through this year, but only because it was presented by a comedy legend, Steven Fry!

For Fathers and Sons who enjoy wholy spirits.

http://www.tinnedhead.tk
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Steven Fry Comedy Legend...........Now that's a joke....

jrowe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2004 23:50
Oh, and I watch the British Comedy Awards too, mainly because, unlike most award ceremonies, it's funny.

jrowe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2004 23:56 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2004 00:01
Listen Mr. Paxton! Anyone who's been a main character in Blackadder is a comedy legend in my book!

Edit: Sorry for spelling your name wrong Pincho- corrected now.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 1st Mar 2004 23:58 Edited at: 1st Mar 2004 23:59
Errrm. I like Mr Bean! Oh yeah I liked Queenie, she had a sexy voice.

jrowe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2004 00:04
Queenie's great. I also love Flash- "Flash by name, Flash by nature".
"Goes Forth" last episode is simply the best comedy show ever, in the world, full stop, end of story.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
One foot In The Grave is my favourite. I have almost every episode!

Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2004 09:45
I thought LOTR3 was the worst of the three, 7/10.

Comon they missed important parts from the book! [i cannot remember what exactly ATM but they did, i read the book before i went to see it]

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2004 12:59 Edited at: 2nd Mar 2004 12:59
Quote: "f by "pure class" you mean "they drop the f-bomb every five words" then you're right, it is pure class."

That's the one bit I didn't like about the series, both the original and the sequel had excessive swearing, I don't mind swearing as long as it's within reason. For example, getting shot or perhaps dropping a brick on your toe would warrant the F-word, ironically the one time Martin Lawrence did get shot is the time he didn't swear at all. o_O I even prefer the TV-cut version of Bad Boys 1 because it has a lot less swearing. Call me Australian but swearing does absolutely nothing for the movie.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Martyn Pittuck
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2004 13:52
Lol, they wernt swearing much

Anyhow, its gotta be woth it for the rat shag scene

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 2nd Mar 2004 14:12
Another thing it could've done without...

I guess we have different 'tastes' of humour down here.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2004 20:02 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2004 20:06
Quote: "Comon they missed important parts from the book! [i cannot remember what exactly ATM but they did, i read the book before i went to see it]
"

sheesh i read the books 5 times before the movies came out and twice after...

LOTR rocks you guys, who cares if they deviated a little from the book the movies are awesome and they keep the same attitude from the books. There is no way they could stuff everything from the books into the movies and so since the movies missed had to miss a few parts they had to change a few little details. i know i know i hated it to when faramir took sam and frodo to osgiliath (instead of sending them on there way) but who cares the movies as a whole make up for it... GET OVER IT!!!

pincho-
Quote: "I have Both Harry Potter films. "

there's your problem... harry potter stinks to high heaven. those are the most disgusting movies i've ever seen... (no offense!)

Quote: "Call me Australian but swearing does absolutely nothing for the movie.
"
Ya i don't like extra swearing either (i think it's rarely even neccesary at all!)

Isn't it horrible that whole families have to be torn apart by something as simple as wild dogs...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 11:52:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 11:52:41