Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / First Game

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Iam planning on making a maze/puzzle type of game (overhead view) for my first project, where the player needs to get to point B from point A, with obsticles such as monsters. Later on I hope to add power-ups as I get more familiar with this language.

The problem is, I dont know where to start learning the required stuff for this. So can someone can link me to a helpful tutorial that will teach me things required for this? Thanks.
Dmas_Zero
Years of Service
User Offline
is it going to be a 2D or 3D game?
if it's a 2D i suggest you start with simple thing like pong etc (that's what i did, now i'm working on a platform game)
Odin The Great
Years of Service
User Offline
If I can, I would like to learn how to in both 2d, and 3d.
Odin The Great
Years of Service
User Offline
Please someone help. (dont mean to seem impatient )
Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 01:12 Edited at: 4th Mar 2004 03:42
DarkBASIC comes with a nice little help file, you should read it sometime...

If you want your game to look good (im assuming you are doing this all 2D) then make a bitmap or something of a maze. Make sure the floor of the maze is black, later when you get better you can try out new things, but as long as the floor is black and if you set it as a sprite, then you will have no wall problems once you set the sprite collision codes in.

To load in the maze that you made and set it as a sprite, use this:

This code assumes that you make your map fullscreen at 640x480.

For movement, you will need to devise a code for moving, which will probably look like this:

For this, use a ball or something that can fit within your maze fairly easily.

And for collision, use this:

Depends means whatever key(up, down, left, right) was used to originally hit the wall.

You can use these concepts to make your game work. If you have any questions then contact me any way that you can.

Hope this helps.

-Vash the Stampede

Intel Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz 1024MB Ram NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 128MB 19" LCD DVI Viewsonic

Mattman
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 03:36
Also, with deciding whether 2D or 3D, most people reconmend artificial 2D using 3D plains.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 00:38:59
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 00:38:59