Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Connecting to net with a router

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2004 18:12
Hi, I need to configure a wireless router, to dial up broadband. Its hardwired to the host comp via ethernet at the moment, on AOL broadband. Been trying all last night to figure this out, been to countless networking forums and nobody seems to know. We need the router to communicate with the modem without having to dial up via the AOL software, to its dialling up when the router/modem are switched on. Anybody any idea how to configure this, because everything weve tried hits a dead end.

Cheers

Currently thinking of a new company name
Sticking to a project idea for once
TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2004 18:24 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2004 18:25
Quote: "dial up broadband"

dialup broadband??? Im not sure about that. If you are speaking of cable, cable dosen't "dialup"; the moment you plug it in its connected....

anyways, I might be able to help...

what I usally do when I move my network or just it doeset work is unplug both my router AND my cable modem. wait 30sec-1 min. first hook up your modem; plug in the power, chech the coaxial cable and then plug in the CAT-5 cord (ethernet). Wait until all the lights on your modem have turned on (esp wait for the "Activity" light) and then plug the CAT-5 cable from your modem into the "WAN" slot of your router. Finally, power up your router and wait until all the lights are working.

umm thats about it. If I have totally missed to point of your problem, ignore me.

Hope you get it fixed.

Amist the Blue Skies...
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2004 18:39
dialup broadband???

With normal broadband you actually have to dial into the modem, though it only takes a few seconds to connect.

My friend managed to dial into AOL broadband without using the AOL browser - I'll ask how he did it.

"They misunderestimated us" - George Bush
"The box said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed LINUX. "

Formerly David89.
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2004 18:47 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2004 18:48
Im so sorry, its AOL broadband on a cable DSL modem connection . I said dialup because on AOL you have to dial in rather than be connected all the time. Sorry for the confusion. I knew that but didnt pay attention when I was typing. So yeh, were having problems getting the router to do as its told, setting up AOL is a real pain because it uses a different method to sign on...

This is just the first hurdle, then weve got to make sure that we can share the conection...

Thanks for both your replies

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2004 19:13
Quote: "I said dialup because on AOL you have to dial in rather than be connected all the time."

I figured that out I used to have it before a wireless network.

Your router's instruction booklet should tell you how to set up the network.

Formerly David89.
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2004 20:28
Believe me, if I read it any more I will throw the TV out of a window. Theres no clue whatsoever. AOL support only 2 wireless routers. Mines the belkin F5D7230-4. Not supported by them, so to get it working you have to do it yourself or find someone who has already done it.

Thanks anyway.

TheAbomb12
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2004 20:38 Edited at: 3rd Mar 2004 20:40
well, try hooking one computer up directly to the cable modem.

if it works, theres something wrong with your router; if it dosent, there is something wrong with your modem OR with your broadband connection.

btw, You guys have AOL in England?

Amist the Blue Skies...
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2004 20:57
is the router set up to act as a DHCP server?
I don't know about that specific router but if you want to share broadband over a router it has to be acting in DHCP Server mode, meaning the routers gets assigned the IP from provider, then casts unroutable IPs to each attached machine (like 192.168.1.100, 192.168.1.101...etc) If your router doesn't support DHCP/NAT then you have a problem. Also make sure the port on the router that the modem is plugging into is correct for the mode it is in. Some routers require the ethernet uplink to be in a specific port. If all else fails get a cheap Linksys 4-port ehernet router (40 bucks) and sell the Belko on Ebay

Jam

-RUST-
"What the... Mooooooooooo!"
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2004 21:20
I asked my friend:

Quote: "if ur gona use an ADSL router, then you just make the username [yourscreenname]@aol.com and password as your password"

and then

Quote: "for most routers you enter a website address, and then it comes up with a settings page"

On my router the address is 192.168.0.1.

Formerly David89.
mm0zct
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2004 21:28
if you mean how do you keep the modem dialed up all the time you need one that has a network plug in it, then you program it with the number, login and password and it should stay connected. (see instruction of modem for more info)

http://www.larinar.tk
AMD athlon thoroughbred 2200, 512Mb ram, 40Gb HD, ati saphire radeon 9600 atlantis w/128mb ddr ram, good creative-labs soundcard, cd-rw + dvd drives.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2004 21:40
Quote: "if you mean how do you keep the modem dialed up all the time you need one that has a network plug in it, then you program it with the number, login and password and it should stay connected. (see instruction of modem for more info)"

If he's got an ADSL router then that'll keep you connected all the time via LAN.

Formerly David89.
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2004 21:44
OK thanks guys, first:

Cattlerustler: DHCP and NAT are both features of the router, but neither seem to work. Yet if we go on run on the startbar, type command then at the command prompt type: ipconfig/ all on the top it says dhcp enabled, at the bottom (which i think are windows network settings but im not sure) it says dhcp is disabled.

David T: its DSL cable, plus we know that it has to be yourusername@aol.com, password (no more than 8 characters, and the MTU (I think thats what its called) has to be set at 1400. The settings page we know about and is where weve tried to get everything working to no avail.

mm0zct: There was no manual.

The cable technician who layed down the broadband line brought the modem and set it up. There was only a box, no manual or anything.

Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2004 21:48
Aha, just reading you initial post again: Do you have a router / modem in one or are they separate? If so, then I've no experience there

Can you specify exactly what's going wrong?

Formerly David89.
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2004 21:56
They are seperate - the router is a belkin and the modem was supplied when the cable guy fitted the line - the modem has AOL written on it in big letters so Im just guessing they made it

Well were trying to share the AOL broadband connection between my dads computer, mine and a laptop via the wireless belkin router. What we can do is access the net from all three, but never at the same time (which is one of the most useful perks of broadband as far as im concerned). Each time the modem is switched on it generates a new ip to log into AOL with, so if I want to go on and my dad has been on before me, it wont let me until I switch the modem off and on again. Were trying to get it working on WAN, but this is the problem, it just wont connect whatsoever, it seems as if the signal is bouncing into the router but not to the modem. Yet if switched to LAN it works. We need it on WAN so the NAT and the like work.

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2004 22:07
Hmm I've only got experience with integrated modems and routers, sorry

M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2004 22:07
Ah well, thanks anyway for the help

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 3rd Mar 2004 23:10
does the router restrict wireless access in any way? Is it possible it is somehow set for only one device? It seems weird if it has dhcp then it should assign multiple internal IP's.

hmmm.

-RUST-
"What the... Mooooooooooo!"
the_winch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 04:52
Perhaps the router has NAT turned off so it is just forwarding everything to the aol modem.

Perhaps you would be better off with an isp which is more accomidating to what you want to do.
My adsl just has a hub thats connected to the phone line with no messing about.
Karlos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 11:50
Have a look at MAC address forwarding - it could be that AOL only let one pc on at a time.

If you set the router to forward 1 mac address - you should be able to get multiple connections.

Also I bought a belkin wuireless router a few months back and it kept dropping the secdond connection. Replaced it with an upgraded model and it worked fine.

Hope that helps

If it ain't broke - try harder.
XP Pro - Radeon 9000 Mobility- P4 3.0ish
Karlos
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 11:50
I think I meant MAC cloning

If it ain't broke - try harder.
XP Pro - Radeon 9000 Mobility- P4 3.0ish
lagmaster
Years of Service
User Offline
Playing:
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 15:49
can i say something

dsl cable are two totally different types of broadband. cable dont require a login. dsl does.

in your router should be the option to configure the modem settings. newer routers out now do both cable and dsl.

usually when you plug the modem into the rouer you need to renew the ip. some routers do that for you, some dont. basically if your router is 192.168.0.1 that should be the gateway ip too.

all the comps should be wired into the router via network cable. router should have dhcp server on, comps should have dhcp client on.

it should work fine after that.

btw if you see a company logo on a product, it's usually re-badged

lagmasteruk - http://www.lagmaster.net is alive! http://www.dbforums.co.uk/ - another db forum!

Dark Snippet Pro V9.2 is out!!
M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 18:20
Thanks for all yor replies...
Let me relist the items I have..

My broadband is AOL via NTL cable..
Modem supplied by AOL is a Ambit 120 Badged AOL..
Router is a Belkin F5D7230-4 wireless cable/DSL gateway router..

First of all every body says Create an additional account on AOL for each computer.. Done..
I have assigned one to the router, in which case the router should connect to the AOL service, But it doesn't it seems to bounce around the router?? If I disable NAT on the router, I can connect Via WAN But still the router does not sign into AOL, Yet I can login fron the computer. I can also connect by pluging the rj-45 cable from the modem into one of the lan ports on the router, I can then connect again to AOL without turning off the NAT feature, still the PPPOE does not connect, but it allows me to sign in from the computer..

Is it possible that a port forwarding might have to be set up, to let it pass the routers firewall...

Also after long discussions with Belkin, they say that AOL or the modem have NAT on them, is that possible as I cannot get an answer from anyone regarding that Question??

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 21:43
When you said dial-up broadband, I figured it was dsl. For dsl through your router, you can set up a ppoe on the router itself, if it allows, thus allowing you to ignore the software method.

"eureka" - Archimedes
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 22:51
Quote: "btw, You guys have AOL in England?"

Yeah. Amusing really. Should be UKOL or something. They totally aim for the family market. Don't know anyone who uses them in real life though. Raven does. Was one of his rave companies (you know what I mean). That, MS and NVidia.

Not too suprising though, isn't AOL the biggest ISP in the world? Been here for yonks, and have a tonne of stupid AOL disks all over the place. Good for coasters or book markers I suppose.

Out of interest, I have an Actiontec wireless access point linked into a Linksys router/hub, which then plugs into my NTL Motorola cable modem. This works with 2 computers directly plugged into the router, and 4 on the wireless. All works fine, although in the beginning I had problems because I had a firewall running on one machine (hardware firewall in the router now, so yay). Also my workgroups were different which caused problems connecting from one to another.

Oh, and apparently since the last XP patch things have gone a bit bad with networks. I've noticed with mine I can get severe slow (eg. about a minute just to access a folder, when normally it takes a split second) down even a 100mbit link. Apparently the next update will fix things.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 03:25
Luckily my netgear ADSL router has the modem built into it, so everything works much more smoothly. I run at least 6 different pc's on it, wirelessly, using BT Broadband and have no problems whatsoever.

Boo!
Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2004 04:35
Hello World:

AOL is going out of business...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 11:40:07
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 11:40:07