Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / XBOX 2 with Apple tec...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 03:19
Heres some news on the new XBOX, XBOX 2.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=dev&aid=3039

I dont know how to spell
james1980
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 05:31 Edited at: 4th Mar 2004 05:35
oh my god dual G5 cpu, radeon 9800
i still want the N5

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=dev&aid=3039
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 11:06
Should be very interesting - I can certainly see the XB2 beating the PS3 (and whatever Nintendo decide to cobble together) as the console of choice...

The place for all great plug-ins.
XP3000+,1Gb RAM,FX5600,1Mb ADSL,Router,.Net 2003 Pro & me
Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 11:38
FYI, Nintendo is also using PowerPC tech. They are also getting their graphics chip for their next console from ATI, which, surprisingly, so is Microsoft.

I don't think MS will beat Nintendo in terms of power. In fact, judging by their suppliers for their GPUs and CPUs, I'm sure that they are going to be pretty close.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 12:06
I will be surprised if Nintendo will do anything near the power of the XBOX2 - I think they're going to try and keep it as cheap as possible (both in looks and price).

I wouldn't be surprised that if Nintendos new machine fails, they will pull out of the console market altogether.

Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 14:44
Judging by Nintendo's recent comments you may be right about the looks and price point. They seem to hold the belief that faster hardware != better games. While generally I agree with this statement, better hardware can allow for certain kinds of games that were just not possible before. GTA III anyone?

"I wouldn't be surprised that if Nintendos new machine fails, they will pull out of the console market altogether."

I wouldn't be surprised either. Now is a very crucial time for Nintendo and a lot of the execs seem to think so as well. These coming years will really define them as a company.
David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 21:17 Edited at: 4th Mar 2004 21:19
[edit - it double posted - how helpful :/]

"They misunderestimated us" - George Bush
"The box said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed LINUX. "

David T
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 21:17
Everyone goes on about how much of a flop the Gamecube was and how Nintendo's in trouble... hello?!? Remember the N64?

It only came to life when Ocarina of Time was released which was waay after its launch

I hold full faith in Nintendo

"They misunderestimated us" - George Bush
"The box said 'Requires Windows 95 or better'. So I installed LINUX. "

james1980
Years of Service
User Offline
every one who says nintendo failed with the game cube then why is microsoft in 3rd and some one said faster hardware != better games thats not true because the playstation2 is the weak system but most people like it and it came out a year before the other 2 systems but
the xb2,n5,ps3 are going to come out around the same time so who knows what going to happen.
Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 02:09
@james1980

"some one said faster hardware != better games thats not true because the playstation2 is the weak system but most people like it "

!= means not equal, so essentially your agreeing with me.
james1980
Years of Service
User Offline
oops! thought you ment "!" for what it means and "=" for equals didnt see the code their. GTAIII can't stand it.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 10:23
The XBOX is generally in second place (with the PS2 in front). The Gamecube has been lagging, far, far behind (probably in another galaxy by now).

AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 10:27
That should read X-box 2 with IBM technology. The inquirer specualted about this last month. Just because they have a Power PC processor doesn't in any way "effectivly make them into macs".

indi
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 10:58
Although the specification for Microsoft's next-generation Xbox platform has not yet been finalised, the company has shipped early prototype development kits to some developers - using Apple PowerMac G5 systems as a basis.

INTERESTING. if they keep the architecture then it could be very cool inroads for a linux directx monster and lead into some better compatability with OSX and DirectX.

Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 11:21
Quote: "!= means not equal, so essentially your agreeing with me."

DB forums, not C. So type it as <> instead

Of course, the problem there would be keeping the price affordable. We bought the PS2 because it was pretty cheap, and even though the hardware isn't the best I like the games here better than Nintendo's (Even though there is a big load of terrible games too).

No, wait... I only bought PS2 because GT3 is there.

Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 21:08
@TCA

"The XBOX is generally in second place (with the PS2 in front). The Gamecube has been lagging, far, far behind (probably in another galaxy by now)."

I've heard the opposite. That the Gamecube is in second place with the XBOX lagging behind(though not by much). This was due to the huge jump in sales after the price dropped to $99.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 23:01
Thats probably true in America, although its not here...

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 23:59
Well I heard yet another story. The Xbox is second although the GC is beating sales now in America. I think I´ll take a 3rd person perspective in the next gen. Nintendo partly have the fault of being 3rd in the console race. I mean, who else thought that Zelda was stretched out and had little non-graphic changes compared to OOT? Mario Sunshine´s very good though. It could have been longer(16 hours is not enough), with a better end boss and no cr·$p voice overs.

Libera tu mente y te liberaras a ti.
Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2004 03:16
@TCA

"Thats probably true in America, although its not here..."

America and Japan(The XBOX hasn't been selling well at all over there though. I've heard rumors that they were considering pulling out all together from there. Its that bad.) I think the U.K. is where the gamecube is doing the worst IIRC.
james1980
Years of Service
User Offline
yep it ture here.
Brother Iron
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't know if I should get an XBOX or just wait and save up either for the XBOX2 or the PS3. I saw that the price of an XBOX is $139...well, at Software Etc.

bROTHER iRON
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2004 12:14
yeah, the X-box is failing BAD here in Japan. Microsoft keeps pouring money into advertising it, but nobody seems to care

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2004 12:23
I don't think the Japanese like the idea of American stuff invading their stores.

james1980
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2004 00:02 Edited at: 7th Mar 2004 00:12
MS might pull a sega and kill the xbox2. plus it might run open gl not directX like the gamecube because the mac processor is native to that.

if any of the 3 systems are over $299 i wont buy at all for possible crappy brand want to be dvd,cd players with sucky games trying to be movies and just living of the company name like low buget rockstar games,activision,midway(they suck now),acclaim(#1 on the suck list),
thq and a few others
Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2004 00:09 Edited at: 7th Mar 2004 00:09
Hello World:

all of my friend love N64...I hate it AND the gamecube (they like the latter as well)...I stilll have my SNES and NES (I bought the NES 5 years ago at a yardsale because I love that system, the SNES was a present for me when I was four, I currently own a PS2, first in my neighborhood to get one, I dislike the XBOX, but not enough to hate it)

lcfcfan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2004 23:51
gamecube is not a flop it's outselling the xbox in europe, xbox is beating gamecube in britain and the u.s but it's certinally not a flop i have seen the sales figures at work for theese machines.

TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2004 23:59 Edited at: 8th Mar 2004 00:09
I've never liked the GC/N64 but I did like the SNES.
But by far, the best console is the DreamCast.
DC ROCKS!

Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2004 03:01
Hello World:

you forgot how the NES kicked ass

and a merry Christmas to you, @$$hole...
If I offend you, the Government is putting me through electric sleep, sorry!
HZence
Years of Service
User Offline
Wait, I think I realized why the hello world thing gets annoying...

You're not talking to the world, you're talking to a handful of people, if not one.

*waits to get yelled at for dragging the subject on*

Team EOD :: Programmer/Storyboard Assistant
Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2004 03:15
Hello HZence:

You posted out of topic! Shut up! I never do that!!!!! I should have you---wait...(j/k)

and a merry f*kking Christmas to you, @$$hole...
If I offend you, the Government is putting me through electric sleep, sorry!
Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2004 03:27
I wonder if all the new Nintendo systems will be doing remakes of PS2 games like the Gamecube did remakes SNES and Playstation games...

-Vash the Stampede

Intel Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz 1024MB Ram NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 128MB 19" LCD DVI Viewsonic

The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
Yes xbox was officially declared into second place.

[href]www.vapourhost.com/~flyer[/href]
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2004 09:46
No XBox won't use OpenGL. DirectX is MS's thing, and they wouldn't dare dump it. The reason XBox is so easy to develop for is it's compatibility with DirectX. OpenGL cross-platforming would be easy too, but MS would be crazy to use it.

I also don't think MS will "pull a Sega" because they've got billions to burn to climb to the top. They've done it with countless other categories in the PC world before-- buying out the competition (Bungie, Rare, etc.), dumping large amounts of cash in advertising, and they may just pull in on top in the next round of gaming. Especially if XBox2 is backwards compatible with XBox.

http://www.jeku.com/audio/
Ancient Chinese proverb: Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Neophyte
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2004 19:16
@Jeku

"Especially if XBox2 is backwards compatible with XBox."

I've been reading news reports that state that that is looking increasingly unlikely. The next XBOX will have a different Processor Architecture(PPC risc, not Intel cisc), a different video card(XBOX 1 had an nvidia card. XBOX 2 will have a ATI card), and it looks increasingly likely that XBOX 2 will not have a harddrive either(MS noticed the killing that Sony and Nintendo were making with mem cards).

Having said that, I'm pretty sure that they are in this for the long run. XBOX 2 will come to fruitation, but whether there is another XBOX after that rests heavily on the performance of XBOX 2. Microsoft may be able to throw obscene amounts of money at their consoles in the short term, but that won't continue doing that for an extended period of time. MS didn't become the biggest company on the planet by investing in losing deals.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2004 20:21
If they *do* dump the hard drive, there's simply NO way they can be backwards compatible with XBOX 1 because many games cache stuff to the HD during gameplay.

THat being said, I think they would be ignoring one of the things that made XBox 1 so cool--- custom soundtracks, downloadable levels, *cough* modding the dashboard *cough*, unlimited save games, etc. etc. I don't understand how XBox Live will function without a harddrive. I mean, the Live software itself is not small. Plus many games have mission downloads (Mech Assault, Splinter CEll, etc.).

Argh.

http://www.jeku.com/audio/
Ancient Chinese proverb: Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2004 20:37
I think they'll have to add an HD. XBOX2 wont be compatiable with XBOX1 as, even though the OS may stay the same, the executables wont be able to be run on the PPC processor, unless they put in some sort of emulator...

MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2004 22:39 Edited at: 8th Mar 2004 22:40
They say that the xbox2 will be using a large mem flash card with a hard drive atached seperatly when you buy the online thing. Personaly I believe they will ditch the HD all together(makes sense as it will reduce the cost/size/weight considerble) and just use flash cards. Shame realy, that´s the xbox´s best feature.
Quote: "DC ROCKS!"

I agree. Long live the DC!

james1980
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2004 09:00 Edited at: 9th Mar 2004 09:04
@jeku

well like all company's if they don't make a profit they want they just drop the product and nintendo always make money off the games
the sell not on controllers and memory cards.

and they are useing apple processors so i find it hard to beleive for direct x to work in it (but not impossible) and G5's osx run opengl and apple cpu don't read binary code pc cpu can read.
if the use flash cards screw them the got 8mb ones on the xbox
the gamecube have'em to.

@mir
the gamecube is a stronger dreamcast no BS opengl systems.

@Vash the Stampede 815

and you will never see as long as sonys makeing videogames
first,second party games on another companys system and go's
for nintendo and MS but third party games can go anywhere.
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2004 09:32
From a business standpoint, the gamecube fell short compared to the others. Why is Nintendo still doing well? The gameboy is what's keeping them alive, and has been for years now. PS2 had a great market advantage over the fact that it was backwards compatible with PS1 games. Xbox was new, but essentially capable of better graphics and performance over the other two competitors.

"eureka" - Archimedes
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2004 00:22
Just found this article on slashdot. I find it amusing what they claim. The next generation of consoles will be, in order of most sales: PS3, Xbox2, nintendo. I guess they forgot about the new systems coming out.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3544039.stm

"eureka" - Archimedes
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2004 00:38
They probably wont sell...

james1980
Years of Service
User Offline
predicting a video game systems sales is just retarded for systems not even out yet.
i'm in the U.S.A and thats the U.K.
walaber
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2004 10:52
ahhh, the Dreamcast... that was a sweet system. Sonic Adventure, PowerStone, hmmmm....... plus there was/still are some really cool homebrew things you can do with it...

Go Go Gadget DBPRO!

Athlon XP 2400+ || DDR-SDRAM 1GB || Nvidia GeForce 4 Ti4200 AGP 8x 128MB
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2004 11:27
Quote: "predicting a video game systems sales is just retarded for systems not even out yet.
"

Not at all. They're not releasing detailed specs and not advertising. Why should they sell ?

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2004 14:25
Quote: "ahhh, the Dreamcast... that was a sweet system"

Yes indeed it was. Soul Caliber was the shiznit!

"eureka" - Archimedes
james1980
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2004 06:38 Edited at: 12th Mar 2004 06:39
if there is going to be more companies makeing systems some body will go down soon due to them makeing multi-million dollar games
and splitting the marker with at least 3 other companies the profit will not be their so lets see in the near future.

Quote: "Nintendo seems set to play to its strengths and emphasise game quality and innovation over processor horsepower"

thats what i like.
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2004 23:06
Quote: ""Nintendo seems set to play to its strengths and emphasise game quality and innovation over processor horsepower"
"

I guess you haven´t played Wind Waker then. If nintendo stopped thinking about the jap market they might sell thier console better. I´m sick of not getting some games(Animal Croosing), getting games months later (all GC games), and paying more (once again, all GC games). Ok. So this can be said of all the consoles but not to such an extent.

Peter H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2004 23:22
ummm... who cares which one is selling the most! XBOX crushes everything!!!!!!!!! PS2 has dumb games and GAMECUBE has sucky graphics (don't think so? did you ever notice that they trie to hide the bad graphics in shadows? ) I think XBOX(1!) could beat PS3 and anything nintendo comes up with... So XBOX2 will dominate everything! (no offense to you gamecube\playstation2 huggers out there... )

You know, when i see an old lady slip and fall on the side walk, my first instinct is to luagh, but then i think, what if i where an ant? and she fell on me, it just doesn't seem so funny anymore.
Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2004 07:44
Of course! With X-Box's wide variety of about 1 good 1st person shooter and 200000 sports games, who wouldnt like it more?

-Me

-Vash the Stampede

"This world is LOVE and PEACE!" -Vash the Stampede

james1980
Years of Service
User Offline
nobody look at system power they are all the same 128-bit systems
graphics power so the graphics are all the same just the way the games are modeled differntly because their are so many developers out their and thats fact.

any one who says different is wrong.

i loved the windwaker it was just to short.
madden football need retirement same game over & over.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 14:50:34
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 14:50:34