Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / XBOX 2 with Apple tec...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2004 22:43
Quote: " nobody look at system power they are all the same 128-bit systems"

No, they use different processors, speeds, caches. Some use more than 2. Some hope that sticking a gerbil in will provide enough power...

Quote: "graphics are all the same just the way the games"

Again no, it depends on what the graphics cards can do - how fast they are and how quickly they can be fed data.

Quote: "any one who says different is wrong."

No, you are wrong. Mind you - I had a job understanding what you wrote, so possibly I'm wrong, or both of us are. Or even, neither of us are.

The place for all great plug-ins.
XP3000+,1Gb RAM,FX5600,1Mb ADSL,Router,.Net 2003 Pro & me
Final Epsilon
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2004 09:04
Quote: "nobody look at system power they are all the same 128-bit systems"

Wasn't the xbox a 256-bit system?
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2004 11:15
Quote: "Wasn't the xbox a 256-bit system?"

Doubt it...

james1980
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "No, they use different processors, speeds, caches. Some use more than 2. Some hope that sticking a gerbil in will provide enough power..."

for you none belivers look at this you must understand hardware before you can argue the xbox is not much stronger than the ps3&gc.
the ps2 & gc are neck and neck gc being the effect system and the ps2 the poly pusher. it not all mhz and and amount of ram it how the whole system works cpu's have 3 to 4 parts clockspeed, floating point, cache, bandwith

ps2 specs
http://www.us.playstation.com/consoles.aspx?id=2/info/415007657.html

game cube specs
http://www.nintendo.com/techspecgcn

xbox specs
http://gear.ign.com/articles/306/306618p1.html
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2004 10:27
Quote: "must understand hardware"

Dont worry - I do, and all three machines use different processors and things.

Shadow Robert
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2004 12:09
X-Box 2 ... Project 'Xeon' processor is being developed by IBM.
The automatic assumption is that it will be a PowerPC; this assumption is totally unfounded.
One thing the rumour mongers seem to always forget is that
IBM PowerPC runs on Motorola Encode, where-as the Xeon is using Windows 5.x Kernel using DirectX10 (as Microsoft have openly annonced already) which uses Intel Encode.

For those who don't have a clue what that means, ... basically
lets say you have the number 268,000 (random number).
On an intel machine would be . 0100 0001 0110 1110 0000
On a motorola machine would be 0000 0111 0110 1000 0010

Hense why the ATI R300 (Radeon 9700) was renamed the 'Flipper' for the GameCube.
It would just take FAR too much time and effort to recode DirectX and Windows just for this one machine. Microsoft are a professional business, and they do what will cost them the least to make them the most.

From what little the Beta community has on the Xeon right now (which includes the prelimary PDK) it appears they're using an x86-64 MultiProcessor based. The current setup actually appears that it will have an Opteron inside it, specially considering they've given the RAM Throughput at 1600MHz/s.

---- ----

No not all of the current consoles are 128Bit... infact only the Playstation2 is.
GameCube runs on a PPC 630 64Bit / 128Bit Graphics
X-Box runs on an Intel Alpha III 32Bit / 256Bit Graphics

currently they're all totally different systems to;
XB - Intel Encode
GC - Motorola Encode
PS2- Risc Encode

These systems currently could not actually be further apart from each other; which makes them a bitch to develop multi-platform for.
Sony is again keep back compatibility, Microsoft are going for pure power and Nintendo for pure gaming needs.

Anyone who has all three console (as i have) will notice that each one is very definately aimed at a particular kind of gamer.

Sony is aimed at casual gamers, which like pick-up and play titles.
Microsoft at serious gamers, who want pure online experience with overly realistic title (in other words PC gamers).
Nintendo are aimed at social gamers, those who prefer to play thier games with a bunch of mates around a widescreen.

The games produced very obviously show this; and now that the novelty of the X-Box is gone, Nintendo have really started to pick up.
It isn't just the lower price that has done it, but the fact that the GameCube is finally getting decent titles; which are showing that it is capable of graphics very close to the X-Box.

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles & James Bond : All or Nothing, quite frankly show what this machie is capable of pushing in the right hands.

Athlon64 FX-51 | 1.5Gb DDR2 PC3400 | GeForce FX 5900 Ultra 56.60 | DirectX9.1 SDK | Audigy2 | Windows XP 64-Bit
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2004 16:31
I wouldn't say the Gamecube has picked up - my local Dixons store has stopped selling them (games and machines), and just sells Gameboy stuff, amongst XBox games (1 column) and PS2 games (3 columns).

james1980
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2004 02:15 Edited at: 16th Mar 2004 02:16
raven has it about right.
Quote: "Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles & James Bond : All or Nothing, quite frankly show what this machie is capable of pushing in the right hands."

one good point, but people will not want to beleave it even if they see it.
i own all 3 systems and find myself playing the game cube most of the time just call me oldschool i love zelda, mario games grew up on them.

hdtv modes 480p and up

ps2 lacks very much very few games have
gc most games have it
xbox only game i seen not have it XGRA

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 15:21:10
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 15:21:10