Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / How do you?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
keep the fire lit (keep on coding) sometimes i get bord with it but then i come on these forums and look at the models and the effort and it makes me want to code more....err to bad that i havent coded anything in weeks and i forgot everything (almost) but thats ok i go to work tomorrow time to read up!

The search continues.

Current project - A space game
james1980
Years of Service
User Offline
i know the feeling.
DarkSin
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 07:34
I use to have that problem, but after I got to a certain point in a project im working on it seemed to become easyer to stay focused.

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults. I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 08:06
if the fire doesn't stay lit on its own, you may not be a coder. don't take that wrong but there are other areas of expertise regarding game making aside from writing code. If ou find yourself "bored" as you code, you might want to explore other aspects of the process.

just a thought

-RUST-
"What the... Mooooooooooo!"
Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 08:09
or maybe you are coding something that you would not really like to play when it is done. Always code something you'll like in the end, since for most of us (i assume) DarkBASIC is not a job and shouldn't seem like one.

Keep on coding.

-Vash the Stampede

Intel Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz 1024MB Ram NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 128MB 19" LCD DVI Viewsonic

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 08:49
It's a hobby, not a chore.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 09:42
Some days I dont feel like 3d modelling. But if I just do it anyways I feel better.

BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 10:09
Coding never bores me, but then I usually set myself challenges, things I've never acheived before. Then frustration prevents boredom!

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
Kharnor
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 12:17
Coding doesn't bore me. It's trying to get myself to start coding that's the problem. If i ever sit down and type sync on i just keep typing and before i know it i'm staring at line 870 - but typing that first line is the hardest part of any project for me.

In other words, i have a warehouse full of candles, but no match.

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." -Albert Einstein
Current project: Parking Lot (puzzle game, 40% complete)
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Indeed thats how i feel sometimes i just can't get myself start to code i'll tell myself for a week "ok i'll start coding this project again" and befor i know it the week is over and then i'll work on it for a day or so and stop for another week err i need to stop that too.

The search continues.

comando 300
Years of Service
User Offline
draw the game, you know the levels. Then write the thing you have to do like put collisions,etc.. and check them when they are done.And if you get stuck and frustrated of something you can't do ask on the forum

CURRENT PROJECT: RETRO PAC-MAN
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 22:37
I've been programming for a living for about 9 years now. Sometimes, for really tedious stuff, I can program on automatic, with no thoughts really coming from my conscious brain. Honest! It's quite useful to drift off a bit while typing in stuff. Or to focus more on that NIN track that is coming through your headphones.

Interestingly, I found normal work programming to be, on the whole, more interesting than hobbiest game programming. Is mainly when you get past the initial interesting game stuff, then start on the really really tedious stuff. Run. Hmmm. Couple of pixels out there.... tap tappety tap.... run.... hmmm... couple of pixels more.... tap tappety tappy tap... run... aha... was right the first time.... tap tappety tap... run.... doh... must now rewrite the main collision code. Bugger..... Yawn...

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
NIN? is that a rapper or something?

Oh and believe me i don't need to use my brain that much thanks to these here forums and the code base help's a little it gives me idea's on how i can write some of my code.

The search continues.

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 22:57
Nine Inch Nails. Proper music mate.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
Wik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 05:07
Yup, I try to model and then come up with NOTHING. I just can't get it and I get more frustrated.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 05:31
I keep a half dozen projects going at the same time and rotate if I get stuck on something. Not very productive, but it keeps me amused.
--
TAZ

james1980
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 05:52 Edited at: 5th Mar 2004 05:53
i know i'm not a coder but from time to time its fun, i'm a old school pencil & paper artist and a good 3d modler hi-poly,nurbs
but low poly has a different way to do things and i'm not as good.

Quote: "I keep a half dozen projects going at the same time and rotate if I get stuck on something. Not very productive, but it keeps me amused."

same thing in my 3d models.
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Eh i was working on some little 3d FPS but abandoned it as i figgured i'd have more fun with my current 2d stuff

The search continues.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 11:43:55
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 11:43:55