Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / R.I.P. Sam & Max :(

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 4th Mar 2004 23:45 Edited at: 4th Mar 2004 23:46
Sad to see LucasArts dumping their adventure game fanbase once again. They're turning into the next Sierra

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/samandmaxfreelancepolice/news_6090535.html

EDIT: I'm disgusted by their direction nowadays, anyways, by continuously pumping out drab Stars Wars [insert name here] titles. Sure it's just business, but they're pretty much a faceless company now.

http://www.jeku.com/audio/
Ancient Chinese proverb: Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 00:33 Edited at: 5th Mar 2004 00:33
Sam & Max was good in it's day - tried and tested formula, original plot, tasks and puzzles.

I still have a copy

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 00:54
Yes, I loved it. And Day of the Tentacle too.

And who could forget Maniac Mansion? Yes, back when 2D was the only option!

I wonder how hard Sam & Max would be to make in 2D DarkBasic...
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 01:28
Quote: "I wonder how hard Sam & Max would be to make in 2D DarkBasic... "

Very hard, considering how LucasArts would shut you down sharpish.

Cheers

I am 99% probably lying in bed right now... so don't blame me for crappy typing
james1980
Years of Service
User Offline
last game i bought with that LucasArts name is shadows of the empire on the n64 the last good starwars game all the rest were just pumped out.

i think they need new managment, and a little more effort and less speed in develoment because most of their games only take 8 months to complete.
AlecM
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 06:06
Lol. I hate vivendi too. But for personal reasons.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 07:19
Quote: "EDIT: I'm disgusted by their direction nowadays, anyways, by continuously pumping out drab Stars Wars [insert name here] titles. Sure it's just business, but they're pretty much a faceless company now."

Isn't that a bit ironic? Star Wars is the one thing LucasArts are known for, Star Wars IS their face. They're mainly a publisher now anyway with RavenSoft producing both Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy which in my opinion are two very awesome games.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 11:23
My favourite LucusArts game was Night Shift, which was a mad infuriating puzzle game where you had to look after machinery making Star Wars models :

The Indiana Jones point and click games were cool too, never played Sam and Max, but I have seen it. My son loves point and click games, like Pajama Sam and Putt Putt, is it easy to play?.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 12:54
Sam & Max was easy to play, and totally mad. It was cutting edge technology at the time, and dragged at times. It made my 486 work hard! These days, it would be a very smooth game to play.

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
Toby Quan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 18:30
Dazzag, I believe you have mistaken me with somebody else ... somebody who would actually try to make a game that is copywritten by somebody else without getting caught. I am sorry to say, I am not that person. But cheers to you too!

What I was wondering was, those games were so cool, I wonder how easy or hard it would be to make a game like that in Dark Basic.

Another LucasArts favorite of mine is Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders! I played it on the Commodore 64.
Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2004 01:17
@Exeat - LucasArts is *now* known for their Star Wars games. Sure, they had their XWing and TIE Fighter games back in the day, which were great, but their main fanbase came from competing with Sierra in the adventure game category. I remember when the Star Wars games were not that common.

http://www.jeku.com/audio/
Ancient Chinese proverb: Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2004 02:30
Quote: "who would actually try to make a game that is copywritten by somebody else without getting caught"

Fair enough. Although to be honest, making your own version of games that were sold decades ago shouldn't be a problem, and should even be a compliment to the original authors. Especially when it is all freeware, and to be honest, pretty basic to most efforts these days (Grim Fandango was what, 7 years ago now, and theres pretty much no chance your version of Sam and Max would approach even this level).

It's just LucasArts seem to be the main stick in the muds about retro remakes. Those Monkey Island remakes were coming along pretty well apparently before they got closed down. Gits.

And all the Star Wars stuff has sucked compared to their original adventure games. Day of the tentacle ruled.

Cheers

adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2004 14:11
Sam n Max ruled. We bought the first version, then when we got a CDROM Drive (dual speeeeeeed) we went out and bought the talky version too.

The day my brother rolled over the CD in his chair was a sad day.

... and the rest is f-l-y
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2004 16:37
Yep. I had day of the tentacle on like 10 floppies or so. It plays as a talkie for about 5 minutes, then the rest of the game is subtitles. Rather annoyingly at the time I completed the whole game, then a year later got the CD version. Couldn't be bothered to play it all again...

Cheers

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2004 16:42
More annoyingly, I had a James Bond kinda adventure game from the people who made Flashback and... erm.... those other efforts. Was really good, and me and my mate played it to death, when we were unemployed and poor (this word means drunk in Welsh). Took us a couple of weeks, but got there in the end. Was a bit like Leisure suit Larry, so not just puzzles, had a bit of keyboard control in there too. Right at the end of the game (I assume, as it all lead to there) we needed to defuse a bomb. Unfortuantly it was a black and white monitor, and it was a colour coded puzzle. Would have been possible if it wasn't for the fact that full on blue or red, looked like black. Mother f*****g son of a bitch!

That essentially got me off my arse though, and I got a job. Heh. After about 6 months of Kick off 2.

Cheers

Oraculaca
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2004 17:45
Ahhhhhhhhhhh Kick Off 2 ,now theres nostalgia. The time me and my mates spent playing Kick off 2 and sensible soccer tournaments when we should have been doing homework. Knights of the sky was a good one ,we used to link our amigas together with a null modem cable and battle it out , Stunt car racer was another fav.
Oh to be young again

In a permanent state of 'Under Construction'
Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2004 15:40
Stunt car racer.... mmmmm....

Kick off 2 totally ruled. Bust 3 joysticks and a trackball thinky on that one. Awesome.

Cheers

Dazzag
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2004 15:41
Oh and Kick off 2002 totally sucks BTW. I mean really really really sucks. Total let down.

Cheers

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 11:47:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 11:47:41