Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Game works on 1 comp but not on other!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 00:04 Edited at: 13th Mar 2004 00:44
OK, my game has an error. The bad guys don't follow your airplane up and down. However, on my friend's computer, it works perfectly! Note: it stopped working after I put in the "dodge missiles" code.
Download:

http://www.freewebs.com/lockheedmartin
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 00:42
Are you sure you are running the same version?

Before you look any further, ensure you are running the exact same executable. You may have inadvertently dragged in the wrong includes, or forgotten about a last minute change.

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
sponge008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 01:51
Well, we're running the same version, etc, etc, but I fixed it by rewording the if statement, although there is nothing wrong with it. Look for my game in the Project Announcements soon!
sponge008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2004 00:45
Eh, I decided to continue this thread instead of making a new one. The problem: my game has serious lag issues. How would I go about fixing them? (tweaking the sync rate didn't help, and increasing the speed of everything is last resort for me)
Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2004 01:33
If I was to guess, Id say it is because of all those sprites on screen at one time. This has been the case for me many a time. Instead of hide sprite-show sprite, use offset sprite and just offset it back on screen when you need it.

Hope this helps.

-Vash the Stampede

Intel Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz 1024MB Ram NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 128MB 19" LCD DVI Viewsonic

sponge008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2004 02:23
Sounds cool, I'll try that.
sponge008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2004 03:23
Wait, how could I offset it off the screen? That's impossible!
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2004 13:17
Put this code after the small section where you create all of your sprites ...

SET SPRITE 1, 0, 1

and that's it

*** Soon to be released - A Network Plug-in ***

For free Plug-ins, source and the DBPro Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and soon for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
sponge008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2004 21:42
Not altering the background restoration didn't help, IanM. I'm going to try to reposition the sprites instead of hiding them.
sponge008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2004 23:56
I repositioned, now the fps REALLY varies. I'm going to make it so that depending on the fps, things will move at different speeds. Do you guys have any ideas about how much and where to increment?
Like, should it be

Would that be a good incrementation rate, or should I just experiment?
Saikoro
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2004 03:39
What I meant by offset sprite is like use OFFSET SPRITE 1,2929,2929. This moves your sprite off somewhere that no one will see. When you want it back, do OFFSET SPRITE 1,0,0 and that will move it back to wherever it was moved from. No lag at all.

Hope this helps.

-Vash the Stampede

Intel Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz 1024MB Ram NVIDIA GeForceFX 5200 128MB 19" LCD DVI Viewsonic

sponge008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2004 03:24
OK, big problem: the game stopped working. When I clicked on "Play Game" in the menu, it just closes the game window without the CLI prompt. I think the error, if there is one, is in the menu subroutine, but I've gotten a headache from looking for it and I feel like there's a poltergeist that does random things to code! Like, first it worked, and then it just STOPPED.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2004 04:20
Unless you're wanting to sell the game, could you maybe include a file that has all the media so we could test it and see if it runs on our machines?

Crazy Donut Productions
Current Project: KillZone
sponge008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2004 21:42
It's on the website, in the other "airplanes" zip file. One is the .exe, the other is the .dba and media. And it didn't run on my friend's computer either (how ironic) so I doubt it will run on yours.

PS When you try to run the .dba straight from the .zip it doesn't load the media correctly, so you have to paste it into your own project, I suppose.
BearCDPOLD
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2004 05:47
Argh......I get the menu all right, click Play Game, my plane dude appears and i can move him around. It has the kill counter, and the sprites for my three lives and a blue background. And that's all that happens. I figure you had enemies and all that going, so I'll take a closer look to help you out.

Crazy Donut Productions
Current Project: KillZone
sponge008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2004 00:41 Edited at: 13th Mar 2004 00:59
Wait, it worked? For me, when I click "play game", it just closes. And yes, I was jsut adding the finishing touches to a more or less finished game when it STOPPED WORKING. Is this the .exe that partially works?

Edit: AHA! The .exe that I downloaded from my own website works! However, it doesn't have credits, sound, or music. I'll try killing those parts of the game and then trying it out.

Edit: Rats! Getting rid of music, sound, and credits didn't help.

Edit: I'm an idiot, I saved the old .dba from the website on top of the new one that doesn't work, now I have to redo 100 lines of code! AHHHHHH! I need to break something. Well, at least it's a working version, although I have to reprogram credits, sounds, music, and a few other things. Oh well.

BTW Would changing the .bmp to .png make the game faster?

PS Vash, I'm going to try your idea to save time. Thanks for the suggestion!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 00:27:15
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 00:27:15