Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Should I get this?!

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 15:47
Man.. I downloaded the NFS Underground demo.. and i'm 2 seconds from walkign out the door and buying it:

But.. Before I do.. I want to know what you guys think of the game.. It lets you customize your cars down to the rims and engine parts right? If this game sucks someone tell me now before I spend all my money on it

"I LIKE MARSHMELLOWS!" - Homestar Runner
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 15:52
Its not bad at all although I've only played it a few times. The updating system is a real pain and doesn't seem to work properly.

The place for all great plug-ins.
XP3000+,1Gb RAM,FX5600,1Mb ADSL,Router,.Net 2003 Pro & me
Dreq934
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 15:55 Edited at: 5th Mar 2004 15:56
What do you mean? I'm not normally a fan of any games.. much lets underground racing games.. but I have playe GTA3 so thats really the only frame of reference I have. Although I do refuse to play or buy any racing game that does not let me modify my car down to the parts. Whole-car upgrades are ~so~ N64

Edit:
I'm surprised the game runs so fast with such high grpahics settings on.. All i have is this ATI Radeon 9200 SE 8x agp.. I guess its my NForce board or Athlon XP 2500 procesoor or something... I generally don't have much luck with this ATI card.. (SimCity 4 runs faster in SOFTWARE mode than it does hardware O_o)

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 16:01 Edited at: 5th Mar 2004 16:02
Quote: "What do you mean?"

What do you mean by ?

Dreq934
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 16:15
Quote: "The updating system is a real pain and doesn't seem to work properly."

Or do you mean the online updater?

If so then I'm getting ready to head out to wallmart

Oh and TCA, if you want DarkSnake, let me know and I'll email you the source and everything.. DarkBasic doesn't work out for me -_- OpenGL/C++ is a great deal faster.. Nomatter though, I've bought DarkBasic 3 seperate times, so they've got my money :p

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
What do you mean?

Quote: "Quote: "What do you mean?""

What do you mean by ?

Dreq934
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 16:23
I was referring to his comment:
"The updating system is a real pain and doesn't seem to work properly."

I didn't know what he ment by "updating system".. did he mean updating your car parts, or updating the actuial game with the online updater..

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 16:27 Edited at: 5th Mar 2004 16:29
I meant the program updating system - I just get (repeatedly) : 'There is a patch to update/downloading patch/patch installed successfully'

It happens with both IE6 and Mozilla... (and I've got cookies & a standard security setting).

Its no biggie, but I always try and keep my software updated (although with the multiplayer version of Civ3, its not a good idea! - the program wont load with the latest UK patch).

Quote: "Oh and TCA, if you want DarkSnake, let me know and I'll email you the source and everything.. "

Please do.

Quote: "DarkBasic doesn't work out for me "

Even when using DBPro & IanM's DBPro interface ? With that, I get a constant 90+FPS... With that you need a movement limiter otherwise it goes so fast you cant move properly...

Dreq934
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 16:37
Yeah but when you are designing a 2D 3D-api'd game with lots and lots of bumpmapping, pixelshading, alphablending, resizing, and rotation while still having a perspectiv-less 3D accelerated output.. darkbasic pro fails

UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Eh underground is a good game and i think it'd be worth it for any fans....mostly i wish i still had my PS2 after i sell it of course they come out with more good games =\ but thats ok....i'll just get them on computer =P

The search continues.

Current project - A space game
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 17:30 Edited at: 5th Mar 2004 17:31
Quote: "bumpmapping, pixelshading, alphablending"

I'm not surprised - using things like that will really slow down a game...
The most I use is shadows (7 shadowed objects - at thats still running at 90FPS). Dont exactly agree with the shadowed display all the time, but there you go.

BadMonkey91
Years of Service
User Offline
dont buy the game, it gets boring and repetitive!

Dont contribute to crappy games!!!!

Badmonkey91@hotmail.com
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 18:36
I wasn't all that impressed with the demo, but I am a huge fan and have all of the NFS series releases. I really loved NFS 3 Hot Pursuit and NFS 3 HP 2, the ones in between kinda blew. I still play 3.2

all driving games are loads of fun with steering wheel + pedals setup.

-RUST-
"What the... Mooooooooooo!" //
BadMonkey91
Years of Service
User Offline
I thought that this game seemed to miss a lot of important little things, that only a gamer would put into their games.

It seems as if this is another corperate turd, pumped out by teams of faceless programmers, programmers who lost their souls in a bet over a pineapple.. er something.. Shamefull programmers! without the balls to stand up for their rights! and would rather keep quite and watch a game turn to crap, and millions be upset over $50 dollRS THEY WASTED and those walmart basterds and their no broken disk policy.. I mean, The damned thing couldnt withstand a dropkick into the furnace, its defective!

I seem to be going on.. oops

Badmonkey91@hotmail.com
Dreq934
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 19:01
Well I bought it, and so far it seems awsome, minus the hords of blaintant advertising (music-wise and graphics-wise).

Quote: "I'm not surprised - using things like that will really slow down a game... "

Not when you use OpenGL and disable depth perception

A game can have thousands of polys and run fast.. in a 2D game, a 'sprite' is a whole 2 polygons each!

And TCA, do you have a specific email address, or just use the one in your profile?

Megaton Cat
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 21:27
Damn kids sitting next to me in Art class won't shutup about that game.

DB generation: http://www.excaver.com/dbg
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Matrix Reformated
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 22:11
I think it's bloody great.

It got to the point where I was playing it all of the time rather than coding. Now I set myself coding targets and use a few hours on NFSU as a reward

For free Plug-ins, source and the DBPro Interface library for Visual C++ 6 and .NET
http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 23:03
The one in the profile is just fine...

Jeku
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2004 01:13
I quite liked the game, but I'm a little biased

Quote: "It seems as if this is another corperate turd, pumped out by teams of faceless programmers, programmers who lost their souls in a bet over a pineapple.. er something.. Shamefull programmers! without the balls to stand up for their rights!"

I resent that! The nice programmers for NFSU do in fact have faces. They still have their souls, too. By the way, it's not the programmers who decide what goes into a game :p

http://www.jeku.com/audio/
Ancient Chinese proverb: Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.
DrakeX
Years of Service
User Offline
i've played it at my friend's house (he has it for GC) and it's nice. that's about all i can say tho, because i can't really stand racing games at all. i suck terribly at them to boot. tho the graphics and amount of detail in NFSU is simply orgasmic. it's a bit difficult to tell where you have to go sometimes tho.

my friend likes it. that's all i know :{

athlon xp 2000+ | radeon 9500 pro 128mb | 512MB DDR | winXP pro | DBP 5.1b | B3D 1.85 | VC++ 6
predicted DBP P6 release date: March 28, 2004
DBP has made me bitter.
Dreq934
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2004 18:30
Check out my ride man.. this game is so sweet

james1980
Years of Service
User Offline
well i own the gamecube version and love it.
Trowbee
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2004 01:51 Edited at: 7th Mar 2004 04:54
Dreq934, nice car, check out mine [I started up NFS just to take a pic of it to post here].

EDIT: pic isnt working, you'll have to trust me (until i can upload it elsewhere) that the car kicks ass.
AluminumPork
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2004 03:33
I love the game. Honestly of the few games that I've gotten hooked on. I am into the whole car modding scene (minus the wings and advertising, thankyou) and that's probably one of the reasons why I liked this game so much. It's one of the first to have real world ties to racing and this whole area of vehicles. I never much cared for the previous NFS games, or any game for that matter... I find no fun for some reason in driving a car in a game that I can never afford and probably will never drive in real life. But Underground on the other hand puts you in control of the car you see everyday on the street.

That's my take.

Oh yeah, I love the drifting mode, it's fuuun.

P4 2.4Ghz HT, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 128MB, 19" Viewsonic, 80GB HD

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 11:43:16
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 11:43:16