Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Gameversity Design Course beginning in April

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 23:01
I really enjoyed the free seminar they had on Game Design Treatments. So much so, I decided to plunk down $79 for their larger course. You can find a course description and unit break down here.

http://www.gameversity.com/Descriptions/GameDesign.html

Being the gung-ho guy that I am, I also ordered Game Design Foundations by Roger E. Pedersen. He's also a co-instructor for the class. Turns out that Amazon.com has a few of them available for $15 or so.

Given all the projects that I've seen stutter and die, I figured it wouldn't hurt to get serious about the design side of a game project. I've written and even completed projects where the vast majority of the design was in my head. I found that Mr. Seifert's Game Design Treatment was a great way for me to focus on a game concept and I'm eager to take it to the next level.
--
TAZ

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 5th Mar 2004 23:10
good deal Zirch, your enthusiasm motivates me

-RUST-
"What the... Moooooooo!"
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
Other important information
Students will be expected to produce a heavy workload in the form of assignments, so please be sure to have time available (between 8 to 10 hours weekly -- actual times may vary depending on student's proficiency and speed).

i guess i'll wait a few yrs until i leave school... get a job.. and then retire... then i should have plenty of time

http://www.tinnedhead.tk under re-construction.
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2004 18:07
Yeah, the workload can be heavy, but they're not slave drivers either. For me, this is exactly the kind I environment I need to get off my rump and produce some solid documentation while learning a thing or two.

In the game industry, the ability to create good documentation will either make or break your project before you even write one line of code.
--
TAZ

james1980
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2004 04:59 Edited at: 7th Mar 2004 05:05
they said 8 to 10 hours weekly not bad. about 2 hours a day mon-fri
i also work 40 hours a week and screw over time that adds up to 50 hours a week for me 200hr months i know people who work/go to school 80 hours a week or more.

i think i'll do the same course.
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
so is this online? as in i dont hav to fly over to america or anythin?

http://www.tinnedhead.tk under re-construction.
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2004 00:32
Right, lectures and such are done via chat sessions, the course materials are electronic files, you turn in your work via e-mail, etc.
--
TAZ

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2004 19:44 Edited at: 25th Mar 2004 20:54
Quote: "Being the gung-ho guy that I am, I also ordered Game Design Foundations by Roger E. Pedersen. He's also a co-instructor for the class. Turns out that Amazon.com has a few of them available for $15 or so."

Yeah, I'm quoting myself. I guess that makes this an advanced bump.

Roger's book came in. Interesting reading so far. I can see why some folks were not happy with it. (re: comments on Amazon.com) It is after all geared to beginners as well as intermediate readers. Advanced users might not have the patience to deal with it, but I think it would be an excellent resource for a lot of the new people on the forums who are taking their first stab at game development.

Mr. Pedersen is definately one of those mentor types of personality and the book seems to be very easy to read so far.

I found it interesting that the CD also includes a number of graphical and audio tools on it. I might have to give those a spin. Additionally, it includes some VB source code for a tic-tac-toe game and a 74 page expansion of chapter six, game ideas. One of the things panned in the reviews was the ye old big list of game ideas. Funny or lame as that may sound, I have personally seen posts by people that were at a loss for game ideas. While that feature may not be needed by creative types, there is a need for it.

After I get finished with the book, I'll post a follow up. As it stands right now, I strongly suggest the book for beginners. It is available at a very reasonable price and it won't blow you out of the water with technical details.
--
TAZ

[edit for typos]

Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 19th Mar 2004 11:20
I took their c++ course last year. I think I may take the physics class next.

"eureka" - Archimedes
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 25th Mar 2004 21:15
Well, I finished Roger Pederson's book, Game Design Foundations. It was an interesting read and I look forward to the class he'll be co-instructing.

I feel that if you approach the book with a "gimmie teh codez" mentality, you won't like it. It's not a cook book for making a game design document although there is one included. The author takes a more holistic approach and almost seems to ramble on in some parts. For example, instead of presenting a blank design document and saying how to fill out X, Y, and Z, he presents a design document from a game that he was created so you get a feel for the level of detail that is needed. Instead of saying you need to research your topic, he shows you an example of such research and the level of detail required to informed. Mr. Pedersen talks about script writing and the differences between a linear story and game organization. He does that by showing involved examples of each style. The author touches on a large number of topics and exposes the reader to what it really means to be a game designer.

I think he does of real good job of trying to create the mindset needed by a game designer. If you come at the task as a writer, programmer, or artist, you're going to need to open your eyes to the bigger picture.
--
TAZ

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 13:46:10
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 13:46:10