Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Hello....

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Hello,

my name.....virtual name....is Brother Iron. Like and want to learn Dark Basic and other things too....like 3d too.

bROTHER iRON
comando 300
Years of Service
User Offline
Hi,

Brother Iron

Welcome to DB forums and DarkBASIC programming language!

CURRENT PROJECT: RETRO PAC-MAN
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2004 07:00
Brother Iron, how much do you know about programming?

The bottom line is that unlike a game that you can pick up and play, programming requires you to pay your dues. You have to study the manual, study the help files, study the codes examples, search the internet and forums, etc. You're learning a skill as well as a mind set that involves taking simple commands and putting them together to solve a problem. A collection of solutions becomes a program and in turn a game.

I'm not trying to scare you away, but I do want you to know that you are at the beginning of a journey. Of course, game development is more than programming, there is game design, 2d art, 3D modelling, sound effects, and music to consider as well. There are more programs than you can shake a stick at. You don't have to learn them all. Most people learn one or two and when they need other resources they form a team or ask people to help.

For example, my areas of 'expertise' are Dark Basic Pro, the DoGA CGA 3D suite, and Metasequoia.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, but do some research first. The help files are your friend. They are the most current material that is available 24/7 on your PC and are fairly easy to search through. Some folks say that they can be better, but if you've read up on the help files first at least you can make some intelligent questions.

You may have noticed that the forum is broken up into several sections. This makes it easy for Good Sam's like me to fine your questions. Most of the threads should make sense, but before you post, please use the search button. Just about anything you can think of has probably been asked before.

Well, that should get you started. Have fun and have patience, Halo wasn't built in a day and neither will your projects be.
--
TAZ

UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Studying will pay off once you learn how to code its always advisable to look at the manual read though the basics then once you've done that go to the code base look at code that other more experienced people have writtin figgure out what everything in there code does. Doing that will also allow you to understand how flexible the code is. I never new until i started doing that just a little while ago it works well for me as i always get stuck on proper useage of code.

BTW is it DBC or DBP?

The search continues.

Current project - A space game
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
http://developer.thegamecreators.com/?f=irc

will link you to an IRC channel where you can talk to us live for help on game dev problems.

http://www.tinnedhead.tk under re-construction.
Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2004 18:12
good luck

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 11:37:41
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 11:37:41