Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Computer courses

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2004 15:28
hi everyone, i was just thinking about what course to take at university, and i was wondering whether anyone knows of any god courses that combine computer science (application programming) and game development (game programming). i also want to know what is the best way to get in to game programming.

thanks for all your help,

NB - please only mention UK courses
thanks again

Flick that switch...*BANG*...Not that one!
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
hmm... theres a website... no idea what its called, type in "computer science" or "game developement" and it'll give a list of universities round the UK teaching similar courses, hopefully you'll find a cross between the two.

if anyone knows this website please post it, i'll be needing it soon too

http://www.tinnedhead.tk under re-construction.
Elleomea
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2004 15:49 Edited at: 6th Mar 2004 15:50
http://www.ucas.co.uk has a database of all university courses.

How much ham could a hamster stir, if a hamster could stir ham?
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2004 18:13 Edited at: 6th Mar 2004 18:13
I don't know if it applies in your case, but Gameversity is all about online classes. While it is based on eastern standard time, they have morning and evening chat sessions. Pricing is about the same as a junior or community college. I'm fairly certain the credits will not transfer. When I was in the game design treatment seminar, we had several students from the UK.
--
TAZ

http://www.gameversity.com

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2004 00:55
We're lucky down here, we have the Academy of Interactive Entertainment: http://www.aie.act.edu.au/

A university dedicated soley to game development (both graphics and programming) that also tries to find their students placements in the industry. Unfortunately it's a full fee course meaning you have to pay approx $10,000 per year. Way too expensive for most of us and hence the reason I won't be entering.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Surreal Studio IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2004 20:03
thanks for all your help,

i've tried the UCAS cdrom (my mom got it from work), and it has only 1 place for what i want and thats in Hull (i live in brum), so does anyone know of what other unis are good in the uk for game programming and application programming?

thanks again.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2004 05:37
Try Bournemouth uni mate. That be where I go. Heard rumours of a Games Programming degree being started or it may already be underway. It'll probably need ninja entry requirements though - I'm guessing 3 As at A-Level, or close to that. Also, Games programming at degree level will be all the computer science you need, so you don't need to look for a hybrid.

www.bournemouth.ac.uk

There might be info about it on the site. Oh, and the uni is the best looking uni in the UK, as voted for by Students Unions country wide. Too many fitties to count, I tell ya.

Insiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2004 05:42
Had a little look, but I can't find it on the site. I'll ask around. Maybe the course is still under construction.

Insiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!
Surreal Studio IanG
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2004 21:06
the reason i want to get a hybrid degree is that i want to have the option of going into software programing aswell,

thanks for your help

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 11:31:35
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 11:31:35