Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / computer help

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
i'v scrapped my old computer to put parts in my new computer now when i power the computer on i hear a strang clicking sound and i cannot tell where its coming from =\ any help??

i put my old DIMM ram in it (yes it works its the same damn type as this new MB needs)

i put my old HD in it as well (i think its hooked up correctly)

my cd-rw cd-dvd floppy all went to the new computer basically anything that i could take out was put into the new computer (except the MB and CPU heh)

The search continues.

Current project - A space game
Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2004 23:13
Does it run ok .... with the exception of the clicking?

If not you may want to swap the power supply with your old one for a test. Sometimes the power transistor in a new power supply will have a crack in it causing a clicking sound.

Did you inspect the new motherboard before installing it? Sometimes they will get damaged in shipping. There are many components on a motherboard that can make a clicking sound.

I don't know if this will help, but it's some stuff i have personally run in to before.

Specs. P4 2.8GHz 800 FSB | 512MB DDR333
GeForce FX 5200 AGP 256MB | Intel 848P Chipset
Windows XP Pro Full
Elleomea
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2004 23:26
Also check that there's no wires that may be coming in to contact with any of your fans and so causing a sound.

How much ham could a hamster stir, if a hamster could stir ham?
Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 6th Mar 2004 23:31
Hello World:

I hear that clicking sound whenever I go to Windows Media Player

james1980
Years of Service
User Offline
is their a disk in you cd-rom,and it could be the hard drive getting ready to die on you.
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Why would it be my hard drive getting ready to die on me? when it works perfectly fine in the other computer? wow i wish someone here built computers for a living.

The search continues.

MrC
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2004 02:01
Hello,

Could your problem possibly be that the power supply isn't plugged in to the motherboard connectors all the way? And when your computer makes the clicking sound, is that all that happens? Does any error message come up on your monitor? You know how many clicks it makes?

I know that when I was taking apart a 486 and was putting it back together, I heard clicks, but the computer didn't boot up, and no error message showed up on the screen. The problem was a Socket-type CPU not being put into the ZIF socket the correct way. But when the CPU was re-inserted correctly, the computer booted up fine.

One thing you could do is experiment with the cable connections from your motherboard to your hard drives. But if there's no error message displayed on your screen, I don't think bad hard drive connections are the problem. Isn't an error message displayed when hard drives aren't connected properly?

Hope this helps, and I hope your computer gets working soon.

Take care,
Mr.C
JoelJ
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2004 02:04
Quote: "Isn't an error message displayed when hard drives aren't connected properly?"

of one kind or another

The second smartest person in the world, as of TODAY!
Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2004 02:05
Hello World:

MrC....it's becoming all to clear now...PEOPLE ARE STEALING ME!!!!!!!! JUST LOOK AT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2004 02:33
How often do you hear the sound?

It could be a bad sector on your harddrive where the harddrive "hangs". My harddrive (80gb maxtor) has the same noise and it still works. Try defrag and scandisk, defragging reduced the noise on my hd.

Is it an IBM deskstar (deathstar )???

Quote: "
UPDATED

Amd 2800+ | 1024mb pc3200 | A7N8eluxe | Ati Radeon 9800PRO 256mb
"
bitechu
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2004 02:45 Edited at: 7th Mar 2004 02:52
Is the old operating system still installed on your hard drive?

You don't specify if the system is booting up or not...do you see the POST screen when you turn it on?

Asus A7N266-C/1.12MB PC2100DDR/AMD XP2100+/Asus Ti4600 128MB
james1980
Years of Service
User Offline
the spindle that holds the disk is broke or bent and then it dies.
they brake very easy.and the only way to tell is to see the

boot disk faliure.....

then thats how you know is dead and it wont do anything.
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Well since the monitor will not turn on i do not see anything thats a odd problem i know =\ i'll check the ZIF i'v check all the connections from the power supply to the MB and the MB to the disk drive.

The search continues.

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2004 19:30
If your monitor won't come on have you checked to make sure your video card is plugged in all the way? But mine gives me a beeping error if my video card isn't plugged in all the way.

Windows XP Pro Full
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2004 21:10 Edited at: 7th Mar 2004 22:23
It is plugged in all the way or i wouldnt beable to screw it into the case

Yeah i think im screwed the damn thing won't even turn on now and its hella hard to find friggin help on the gigabyte website as well as anywhere else about this damn MB *starts reassembleing old computer* im gonna have to have a talk with the company i bought this motherboard from.

The search continues.

Lost in Thought
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2004 01:09
Mail it to me and i'll fix it / tell you what's wrong with it. Its is hard to fix something with out seeing it for yourself.
I give up.

Oh yeah ..... My video card comes a little bit unplugged all the time and it is screwed in to the case. That real thin tab just bends. I need to learn to stop kicking the cord

Good luck to you anyway.

Windows XP Pro Full

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 11:54:53
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 11:54:53