Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Ouch - A Tale of Pain

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2004 18:18
"That ********** @#%$ blind talentless ****muppet in the @#%$ kart @#%$ 17 @#%$ @#%$" was my agonising scream as I got out of my kart during last nights race.

Nick and I race karts. Last night was the last round of the winter series and we where locked in a championship battle. The pace was good, I took over after 1h20 into the race and unlapped myself from second place and kept pace with the leader in front of me. We only needed to finish 4th, we where in 6th, I passed to 5th, ahead of us where teams yet to stop for fuel... The title was there for the taking.

Then I catch up with some stupid blind ****muppet of a backmarker through stadium bend, an 80mph flat out bend, he's slow - I take the bend wide then switch back him on the exit - i'm alongside going round the outside of Reg's Elbow. He's been out maneuvred, out powered, out classed and i've left him offline for the infield hairpin.

Then the stupid muppet tries to late brake me going into the infield hairpin, the corner where I brake later than everyone else anyway. This is my part of the track, where I am quickest in the field and he doesn't want to let a lead kart through because he thinks that maybe, although he is last, our fight might be for position...

I leave him enough room for his antics and drive around the middle of the bend, I had a good entry I was just going to keep momentum and blast him away going down the strait whilst he did a slow and tight 180 on the inside of the hairpin.

Sadly he was even more of a moron than I had allowed for, he spins it around and still carrying about 40mph of speed flies backwards into the side of my kart.

There did not appear to be any damage, I kept going but I was in agony. I called in to the pits - need a driver change i'm hurt. The extra stop looses us time and position.

I get to the medical centre for two broken ribs, it @#%$ hurts! They are not allowed to give me painkillers but they do offer to call an ambulance... WTF !? You think i'm going to miss the end of the race? No chance...

I sit on the sidelines watching in aguish as my brother chases down 4th position, 5 minutes left, 4th is ahead, he's gaining... He does it!

YES - the pain has been worth it!

-*-

Later on we descover that the pieces missing from the kart from my earlier impact have brought us in under weight - we get a 7 lap penalty leaving us down in about 8th position.

Not only have we lost the championship, i've lost a couple of ribs, we've also taken our first penalty for "cheating" in 8 years of racing and all because the guy in last place who had already been outwitted refused to give up to a leader as he came past him.

I'm @#%$ hurting this morning.

God created the world in 7 days, but we're still waiting for the patch.
Lord Ozzum
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2004 18:29
I feel sorry for you. I hope you start feeling better.

ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2004 19:04
thats pretty damn unlucky... people suck

In the beginning, the universe was created...
This made alot of people very angry and it has been widely regarded as a bad idea...
Visit http://redeye.dbspot.com
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2004 20:35
The sad thing is he's probably proud of himself

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2004 05:32
Post-race violence is clearly the answer.

Insiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2004 05:37
Woah, took about being misfortunate.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2004 15:04
Quote: "Post-race violence is clearly the answer."

As much as I am inclined to agree in my current physical condition it would be most unlikely I could beat up a premature pheatus.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2004 17:50
Is there anyway to appeal the decision by the race officials? Obviously, you were legal at the beginning of the race and you have ample proof of the accident.
--
TAZ

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2004 20:50
the thing is, crashes are crashes. Some people are crap. There's nothing you can do, but being penalised because you were underweight is tight as a knats ring. Unfortunately though, if you look at it from the officials point of view, you were underweight, so you must be penalised. But having said that, it's there responsibility (in my opinion) to guage that sufficient bodywork damage was done to warrant a compulsary pit in and repair.

Therefore the solution, once again: Post-race violence.

Insiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide!
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
Post-race violence would have gotten a man with 2 broken ribs no where.

The search continues.

Current project - A space game
ReD_eYe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2004 23:12
thats what brothers and team mates are for

In the beginning, the universe was created...
This made alot of people very angry and it has been widely regarded as a bad idea...
Visit http://redeye.dbspot.com
Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
u should at least get the other dood dropped back to 9th for wreckless driving... people in football etc would get $100000's for that kind of bullplop

http://www.tinnedhead.tk under re-construction.
Pricey
Years of Service
User Offline
Quote: "bullplop"

Dig a pit and poo in it
Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2004 17:09
Quote: "u should at least get the other dood dropped back to 9th for wreckless driving"

As much as I would like too the driver who crashed in to me was not the driver who I was competing against in the championship.

The driver who crashed, kart 14, finished in last place anyway. A penalty really wouldn't make a difference. Even with the penalty my team got for finishing underweight we still beat kart 14!

Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2004 14:14
You could sue him? You've clearly suffered a personal injury as a result of his negligence. You *may* have a claim depending on whether the law implies a duty of care into this situation. In terms of possible damages, the last time I looked at Kemp & Kemp a broken rib was worth up to a couple of grand each.

As for the cost, this sounds to me like a job for one of those no fee no pay outfits set up by provincial law firms in recent years. If you are interested, I'd suggest The Accident Line as its the most reputable one (because its backed by The Law Society).

See: http://www.accidentlinedirect.co.uk/

Bear in mind (pun intended) though that you or your solicitor would have to check the rules of the Karting Association you are in to make sure they don't prohibit these claims. You'd also have to consider whether suing another contestant may make you persona non grata in the championship you compete for.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P1.3ghz / 384 megs / GeForce MX 5200 128meg / WinXP home
Phaelax
DBPro Master
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2004 14:23
LOL, that's some funny sh*t man! Sucks too. If you want, I should maybe have a little chat with your last place buddy. I'll buy him a new pair of cement shoes for doing so well in the race.

"eureka" - Archimedes
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I don't agree with that underweight rule. How can a damaged cart remain the same weight as before the crash? Seems a bit strange to me.

Andy Igoe
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2004 16:53
The problem with the minimum weight is all down to the nature of exactly what fell off:

The weight ruling is to provide an even playing field for all contestants, in this series 180kg is the minimum weight.

Our kart weighs 97kg, our drivers vary between 55-65kg. A full fuel tank can measure up to 5kg or so, but weighing is done prior to all pit stops using drive-on-drive-off scales. For Team Banshee Studios this meens we have to carry lead ballast to reach 180kg.

We use lead pack inserts into our seat to account for the weight difference between drivers and mine is slightly too heavy.

The cause of us going underweight was because we lost our base ballast which is bolted to the back of the drivers seat. Because I did not complete my stint I still had fuel and my own lead insert is slightly too heavy anyway so I did not come in underweight.

The problem arose later when Nick went back out after removing my extra insert (I weigh less than Nick), at the end of the race the fuel tank was near empty, he should have weighed 181.7kg (we allow a little extra for ambient temperature and scale callibration). Instead he weighed in at 175kg which is 5kg underweight.

The penalty for being underweight is 2 laps + 1 lap for each kg.

Technically we had an advantage whilst we where underweight and so we where penalised. Incidentally I have done the maths and the penalty is 9x worse than the gain in speed from the lost weight assuming we started the race at under 180kg (although in this case we clearly did not as evidenced by us recovering our lead pack from the track after the race! ). We probably gained the length of a couple of bends from our "cheating" so yes the penalty is harsh but it was fairly administered and in accordance with the rules.

That's racing, it isn't always fair. We lost this series but there is little point bitching about it as the rules are the rules and we - however honest our intentions - broke them. It doesn't detract at all from the ultimate winners SFM who beat us, they kept it clean - they did not have an accident, nothing fell off their kart and they won, fair and square.

I dont think i'll go sueing the other competitor, sure he drove like a muppet but the only way I could a court case is by proving that he can actually drive better than that, and he cant.

Besides, although i've never caused an injury doing so i've out-braked a few people at that hairpin myself and I haven't always come out of the bend cleanly ...

Teh Go0rfmeister
Years of Service
User Offline
i had a crash on a go kart once... nothin happened tho...

http://www.tinnedhead.tk under re-construction.
UnderLord
Years of Service
User Offline
I should do that racing that'd be hella fun =P and i'd be in it just for the fun too....hahahahaha

The search continues.

Current project - A space game

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 15:22:10
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 15:22:10