Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / disk partioning

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2004 21:47
ive create a new disk partion on my pc and i was wondering how to install a backup OS on the partion so if the main partion is currupt i can use the other then re-install windows on the mian partion? please help

CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2004 22:15
the partition won't help if the disk physically crashes so you may want to use a second physical disk if you can. Either way there is software out there to copy the partion image and save it elsewhere. The term "Ghost" comes to mind.

Hey, where's Spooky! lol

"What the... Moooooooo!"
GameMaker Jason
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2004 22:28
but before ive had a message come up saying can not boot partion and ive only had one partion so if i had a back-up of that partion would i be able to booot that partion?

spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2004 22:37
Spooky's here!

Yeah, Norton's Ghost is supposed to be very good as it backs up EVERYTHING. It will even burn directly to a cd or DVD with all the right boot-stuff to restore hard disk by simply booting from the CD via your bios. So hard-disk can be completely unreadable but you can still restore easily.

Boo!
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2004 22:40
Quote: "but before ive had a message come up saying can not boot partion and ive only had one partion so if i had a back-up of that partion would i be able to booot that partion?"

?
you lost me.

"What the... Moooooooo!"
GameMaker Jason
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 7th Mar 2004 22:53
I say unbootable partion so if i backed up my my data and installed a OS on that partion could i still boot that partion?

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2004 00:58
Yup, I'd have to say Norton Ghost is the tool for the job as well, it can make an image of your entire hard drive.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 11:44:42
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 11:44:42