Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Climbing an object

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2004 00:12
Story so far

I'm wandering around my 3d world in FP climbing up and down hills like there's no tomorrow. When bang; i discover a jet fighter on a runway which is about 40y's (not sure what you would call the height unit in 3d worlds) high.

Question

I'm thinking about placing something like a ramp or steps object by the runway and i can figure out how to make our wandering hero climb up them. In short:- i know about the GET GROUND HEIGHT but is there somthing simular for objects.

Your comments and advice as always would be most welcome.
Maelstrom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2004 00:13
Before u yell at me, its DBPro.

Thanks
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2004 18:20 Edited at: 8th Mar 2004 18:43
Since scale is relative, world coordinates are usually expressed in units. Camera clipping is around 3,000 units by default so some FPS folks will equate meters with units.

If the fighter is a relatively unique item, you could add some exception coding. The better thing might be to add some ladder code and set a ladder next to the cockpit. [Jet jocks rarely use stairs or ramps. Also, some aircraft come with built-in ladders like the A-10.]

If you want the player to be able to walk on the jet model, things get a bit more complicated. You can either add code to detect both kinds objects or you can add a second matrix to represent the top of the aircraft. You can then use the current location/height of the character to determine which matrix to use as the ground height.
--
TAZ

If you plan on using a second matrix for the figher, imagine a tarp thrown over the aircraft. That way a person could walk off the plane but not back on until they use the ladder again.

Maelstrom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2004 11:20
Ok thanks, thats given me a few idea's.

I suppose to make thinks easier i could make a lift or even raise and texture the matrix tiles near the runway to give a ramp effect.

Thanks again.
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2004 00:19
I'd try the ladder code method. When you get it to work, you can apply it to other regions of your game: ropes, vines, pipes, etc.

Skybax
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2004 02:07
Quote: "I'd try the ladder code method. When you get it to work, you can apply it to other regions of your game: ropes, vines, pipes, etc.
"

I don't mean to intrude....but what IS a ladder code? It's just what I've been on the lookout for! I've never been able to find one!

There is no king who has not had a slave among his ancestors, and no slave who has not had a king among his

Ph33r the Ringwraiths
sponge008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2004 03:34
Try writing it yourself! But,
zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2004 03:51
sponge008 has the right idea. THERE IS NO MAGIC LADDER CODE. It is something you write, a sub routine or a function. The thing is you write it once and use it as needed instead of making a custom climbing routine everytime you have a new object.
--
TAZ

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 00:37:14
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 00:37:14