Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / What can a lightmapper do for me?

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2004 13:29
I'm guessing that a lightmapper is used to create static lighting effects on a scene so that it does not have to be calculated on the fly. Am I right?

Once I have my lightmap, how do I apply it in DB Pro? Does it replace my textures, sit over the top of them...I just don't know.

Is this process similar to baking textures in a 3D modeller?

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2004 13:48
Quote: "I'm guessing that a lightmapper is used to create static lighting effects on a scene so that it does not have to be calculated on the fly. Am I right?"

Yeah, basically it creates the shadows for objects based on where the light you position is.

Quote: "
Once I have my lightmap, how do I apply it in DB Pro? Does it replace my textures, sit over the top of them...I just don't know"

This is the toughy, you SHOULD be able to multitexture your objects with the normal textures and the new lightmap texture but the 2 textures use 2 different UV coordinates which makes this impossible until U6 (where it's fixed, I hear). You can either somehow export a .DBO object with the 2 different UV maps and textures depending on how you made the lightmap in the first place, or use a work-around that other forum members do and create 2 objects, one lightmapped and the other normal textured and then ghost the lightmapped object.

Quote: "Is this process similar to baking textures in a 3D modeller?"

Yep.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
MiR
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2004 23:23
Won´t this interfer with that mipmapping thing? (Was that a dumb question? I don´t realy know what mipmapping is but I´m sure it´s got something to do with loading a diferent texture for distances.)

Libera tu mente y te liberaras a ti.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 12:06:25
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 12:06:25