Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / clones and instances, what am I doing wrong??

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2004 21:25
ok, since I have a brute of a PC I decided to make it work for a living , or to be more exact I was going to push it and DB to the max, trouble was, after 60 odd lines including comments I have reached the systems limits, frame rate is down to 45 from a target of 60, what I am trying to do is to write space invaders (yawn) using 160 3d objects from dark matter for the invaders, plus some DB cube primitives (800) for the shield buildings (so that you can shoot em away chunk by chunk) plus all the other stuff I havent put in yet, the trouble is the framerate (this is just loading and displaying them at the initial locations...no other code, just displaying the models), at first I loaded in all the objects as individual models, fine for the animated models from darkmatter, then I made the cubes and the framerate went through the floor, obviously too many polys in unique models, so I modified the code to load the darkmatter models and make 160 clones, that was no good since the animation didn`t follow through, so I tried to make them as instances, that was no good either since they wouldn`t animate (the animation data isn`t copied) and the "handle" for the positioning of the objects was messed up (they where no longer in neat rows, but overlapping)despite the mess the framerate is within bounds with instances, but the darn things won`t animate.
Do I HAVE to load/append the animation sequence for every object or what?, is there a way to get instances or clones to animate without loading the animation individualy?, and before someone says it, yes it is asking a lot, but this is a good pc with a fast cpu and gfx card, surely it can do in 3d what a spectrum could manage in 2d?, it doesn`t seem that demanding to me.

Mentor.

PC1: P4 hyperthreading 3ghz, 1gig mem, 2x160gig hd`s, ATI radeon 9800 pro gfx, 6 way surround sound, PC2: AMD 1.2ghz, 512mb ram, FX5200 ultra gfx, stereo 16 bit soundblaster, ups.
Philip
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2004 07:26
Mentor, I'm afraid that there are known bugs with both clone object and instance object. From your comments above it looks like you have encountered them. See the bugs forum for more information. You may have to load the animation for each object individually until Lee fixes the bugs in U6.

Philip

What do you mean, bears aren't supposed to wear hats and a tie? P1.3ghz / 384 megs / GeForce MX 5200 128meg / WinXP home

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 00:38:27
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 00:38:27