Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Samples, breaks, etc

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2004 23:47
Hey, does anyone know where I can get some really good wav samples (kicks, snares, hats etc) for us in music production - Ive got a few but Im getting boerd of the same ones plus the quality is less than fantastic. I suppose I could have a look for some sample CD's in places like game, but they always seem to be loads of pre-made loops by famous artists. I dont like loops - I prefer to make them from scratch. I use FruityLoops 3.

Fallout, if you're around, what do you use for your tracks, they're ace. Preying Mantis is class.

Cheers

Currently thinking of a new company name
Sticking to a project idea for once
comando 300
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 8th Mar 2004 23:49 Edited at: 8th Mar 2004 23:50
http://www.3dcafe.com
http://www.findmidi.com

CURRENT PROJECT: RETRO PAC-MAN
adr
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2004 00:09 Edited at: 9th Mar 2004 00:10
for pure cheesyness, you can't do much better than 909 samples...

http://spec.ch.man.ac.uk/~ashley/drums.html

I got all my percussion samples on one £60 sample CD. Pretty much every kinda drum hit all clean...

... and the rest is f-l-y
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2004 01:32
I have a good couple of hundred hours of samples on many many CDs. If you want some character is your breaks, the best thing to do is to get a loop and cut it up into its components, then lay it down how you want it. That way you have a base that flows nicely. Then layer it up with your own individual hits - snares, kicks, hats etc. You can start from scratch, and I often do, but normally a loop has a certain character that you can build and improve on, rather than trying to establish that character yourself from very seperate samples. Strangely, mantis is an example of one I started from scratch, but that has a rediculous amount of layers to get that sound. The snare drum is about 4 combined, and there are around 20 hihat sounds in there.

And yes, as adr said, steer clear of 909s. Unless you want that retro feel.

It'd be hard for me to put together a collection of individual hits for you, as I'd have to go through many CD tracks and cut them all out individually, but I can fix you up with a bunch of loops for you to cut up without too much hassle. Then just cut out the hats, snares, kicks and fills, and make your own break out of them.

Let me know if that'll do for you.

Blowing the shite out of people sinse 1981.
Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2004 01:41
Btw, if your breaks sound a bit lofi, just pitch them up. Once you've cut them into their component parts, you can play each sound at a higher pitch, giving you more high frequencies, giving you a sharper quality of sound.

M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2004 02:45
Cheers fallout, that'd be great!!! I suppose your right, the reason all mine sound so.... not real is because theyre just different chunks from different places slapped together...

I have sampled some beats from Chemical Brothers tracks and the like, but anything to start on would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks again.

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2004 04:15 Edited at: 9th Mar 2004 04:18
Can you decode MP3s? Might be a silly question, but just checking. It'll be easiest and I can give you more if you can handle MP3s rather than zipping up WAVs.

EDIT: Also, what bandwidth do you have? Shall I keep the pack under 10MB, or higher?

Fallout
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2004 04:54
right, too late. They're done. 15MB. Planet of the Breaks - Shawn Lee, who is the master of all breaks, plus about 40 individual kicks, 40 snares, 40 hats, plus another assortment of breaks - about 20 and about 40 percussion loops, like bongo riffs, triangle jingles, steel drum lines etc. Plenty to dismember.

Drop me your email addy or MSN and I'll drop you the link.

M00NSHiNE
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2004 11:43 Edited at: 9th Mar 2004 22:11
Thankyou fallout. Yes I can decode mp3 and my bandwidth is 600k, so everythings rete. Thankyou very much once again, youve been a great help.

[edit] BTW I wont be able to get on msn til probably tonight, due to the fact that Im at college now and cant access it.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 12:07:24
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 12:07:24