Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / telnet

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2004 19:28
can telnet be used as an ftp client? like can you send stuff to an ftp server with it.

Is there a built in ftp client with windows xp?
(i dont want an ftp client im just interested if there is a no frills dos style version that comes with xP)

The following threads and their accompanying sound tracks are protected by copyright and any broadcast public diffusion, copying and edditing are etc... etc.. you may not complain about my Typo's
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2004 19:35 Edited at: 9th Mar 2004 19:35
You can connect and issue commands, but you cannot receive or transmit data with telnet

You can get a command-line ftp client by doing Start/Run and typing ftp

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
Killswitch
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 9th Mar 2004 22:51
You can't revice or transmit? How do MUDs work then?

~I see one problem with your reasoning: The fact is that is a chicken~
TKF15H
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2004 00:24
when you type a letter in telnet, it's sent automatically.
unlike FTP, where you have to press enter for the command to be sent.
What difference does that make? Well, it's like trying to make a
DarkBasic program with one letter per line.

Can I see a demo now?
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2004 00:50
telnet is an old mainframe throwback protocol but is kept around in modern computing. If you need to move files and such use ftp. Just open a cmd window and ftp <machine name>, then as long as you have access rights you can PUT and GET files.

"What the... Moooooooo!"
IanM
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2004 01:21
Ok, let me clarify what I meant ...

Telnet and FTP are based on the same network protocol, so it is certainly possible to connect to an FTP server using telnet and issue FTP commands. These are (mostly) 4 character upper-case commands with optional arguments and are terminated by CR+LF.

Telnet usually sends each character as it is pressed, while FTP sends the whole request line in a single packet. This has no effect on an FTP server which is simply waiting for an entire line of data. ie, it will continue to wait until the CR+LF is received and then decipher the whole line.

What isn't possible is the retrieval or transmission of data because FTP uses a separate data connection for data transmission. So although you could issue a GET or PUT command, you would not be able to transmit any data.

Any more questions?

*** Coming soon - Network Plug-in - Check my site for info ***
For free Plug-ins, source and the Interface library for Visual C++ 6, .NET and now for Dev-C++ http://www.matrix1.demon.co.uk
BatVink
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 10th Mar 2004 01:35
I telnet every day, it's done over TCP, usually on port 23. Telnet is used for running a remote terminal.

TCP can also be used to FTP, but only if the right port is enabled (usually 21) and there is software at the other end listening to this Port.

BatVink (formerly StevieVee)
http://facepaint.me.uk/catalog/default.php

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 11:37:52
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 11:37:52