Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Sprite Positioning editor

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2004 12:15
Does anyone know of a sprite positioning editor (where an image can be loaded, place on the screen at the relevent position and the top left & bottom right coordinates are recorded) ?

The place for all great plug-ins.
XP3000+,1Gb RAM,FX5600,1Mb ADSL,Router,.Net 2003 Pro & me
Arkheii
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2004 14:31
That kind of program is so trivial that I really doubt if anyone would need to make one. Can't you use DB to move the sprite based on mouse movements then save the coords to a file? What do you plan to use it for anyway?

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Awwwwwww c'mon....too easy.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2004 15:17
Yes, it should be fairly easy - just wanted to know if someone had already done something like this before (especially if its got top, left, right & bottom alignments).
Its for my menu of my game...

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2004 15:27 Edited at: 11th Mar 2004 15:29
For sprites you use sprite collision, not top left,bottom right. Top Left, Bottom right is for screen pictures without any sprites on them. But if you really do want to do this with sprites you can use Sprite X(), Sprite Y(), Sprite width, Sprite height.

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2004 16:08
No, I want to position the sprites aligned to the top of the sprite that is positioned higher than the others - much like how the resource editor in VS works. Remember this is for menu part, not for the game part.

Its so that the options & text are all nicely aligned with each other.

Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
It's the same thing...You get the first sprite's X/Y, then just use that to position the others. plus add its Spriteheight to their Y pos. Then add the next sprites height to the Ypos of the next sprite. You can even centre them if you want by taking half their sprite width away from their X pos. (Something like that, I've done it before.)

OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 11th Mar 2004 17:03
Unfortunately you cant use a previous sprites position to position the next sprite as they may not be in order - hence the reason for an editor. Plus some may be bigger than others.

time_hawk
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2004 20:13
hm, that sounds like an interesting problem.

essentially, a little like a visual basic interface for generating information for a menu... if im understanding it correctly.

try... creating an array with defined types that contain all the information about the sprites you need (sprite number, height, width, x position, y position, etc). Incorporate functions for adjusting the various aspects of each sprite, including the loading of the pictures so that you can place them as you need them. Possible use hidable menu windows/areas which have the ability to select and control the sprites information, treating them like objects. Have an export feature which will output all of that data into a file. Then create a loader which reads that file and uses it to generate a menu in the game (also doubles as a import feature for your editor )

you could also add functions for the various areas that respond to the mouse (for example semi transparent boxes that appear over the actual sprites in the editor) which have their data then included in the save file, and which can be loaded up in the actual program the menu is used for.

heh, a universal menu system... think of the time it could save newbies (like me lol) everywhere...
OSX Using Happy Dude
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 13th Mar 2004 22:09
Indeed - would be useful...

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 11:41:31
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 11:41:31