Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / Interface for an RTS - your thoughts please

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2004 04:51
##I couldn't think where would be most appropriate for this so I choose here, mods please move it to where it should be if here isnt the right place. ##

I'm planning on writing an RTS (real time strategy) game. I've already got a few models sorted out, and I've designed on paper some of the variables I need. But I haven't come to a firm decision about the interface design.

So I turn to you, the players, since you will be the ones who have to try to play the game.

Which kind of interface do you prefer? A horizontal interface like Starcraft's, or a vertical interface like the early Command & Conquers? Where do you like to see your radar on the screen? How big should those things be?

Thanks.
The admiral
Years of Service
User Offline
This is always a tough question i have used an horizontal interface for my rts but some vertical elements are involved as well. Its really all depends on other things.

[href]www.vapourhost.com/~flyer[/href]
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2004 10:35
Personally I like a map at the side with most of the functions accessible through it as well, like C&C. Perhaps you could make it so that the UI can be at either side of the screen, or even hide the map to make the UI smaller. Customisable is good, we rarely get to customise the interface in RTS games, which is pretty daft. You should make it so you can completely hide the UI panel too, like with a keypress.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
Pincho Paxton
Years of Service
User Offline
I like things that slide on the screen from the side like drawers. Some pallettes in art packages do that. You could leave the map on though.

Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 12th Mar 2004 13:49
Quote: "I like things that slide on the screen from the side like drawers. Some pallettes in art packages do that. You could leave the map on though."

A foreseeable problem with that though is that you drag to the sides of the screen to move around the map in RTS', so just moving around the map could force the panel to appear.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 11:36:49
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 11:36:49