Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Help needed with game speed

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2004 20:48
Okay, here's the deal...

I have this small area I'm using as a map. It contains 45 objects, and only some of them I need as dynamic objects. That much I can handle. Whenever I walk around this small room, it always too slow, even with the in-game dynamic objects. My computer is very fast - 2 or 3 Ghz or something. Is there anything I can do to speed up the game? I've seen other DarkBASIC games, and they have lots of objects and sprites. How do they do it?

What I was thinking was that I could purchase a map-making program, but I don't want to di that unless I have to...any ideas?

Much appreciated,
Aramil
diablo fan
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2004 21:35
you want to show all 45 objects at once right? not hide some until a later point? and do you have collision on all of them?

please dont make fun of my spelling,or sentence structure.Id rather study math or programming
Emperor Baal
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2004 21:37
are you using sync and sync rate 0?

Quote: "
UPDATED

Amd 2800+ 1024mb pc3200 A7N8X - Deluxe Ati Radeon 9800PRO 256mb
"
Xander
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 14th Mar 2004 22:40
To speed up a game by hiding objects not on the scree, use this code:

Also, check to see how many polygons are in your objects. Too many can mean big slowdown. The size of the textures you are using also playes a role in how fast your program runs.

Good Luck

Xander Moser of Bolt Software
Firewall: Your Computer's First Defense - Real Time Strategy game
[href][/href]
Maelstrom
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 15th Mar 2004 02:52
I've got about 50 animated models running around my landscape without any slowdown. Although when i push it up to about 100 it does slow down quite a bit. All that on my AMD 2400XP.

Good tip Bolt with object hidings. Didn't know u could do that. I'll use that in my code and see what effect it has.

Also how can you tell how many polygons are in your object.

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 00:22:14
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 00:22:14