Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Geek Culture / .exe to screensaver

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2004 00:15
hi all,
i have made this thing on darkbasic were your name flashes all over the screen in different colours.

I have made it into a .exe but now i want to use it as my screensaver.

Is there a program that can do this or can you tell me how to do it manually in windows.

go onto my site
spooky
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2004 00:19
Just rename the .exe to .scr and stick it in the windows system32 directory with the other .scr files. That's it!

Remember to put some code in program to quit program if a key is pressed or mouse is moved.

Once you are happy, you can get clever with command line options, so you can differentiate between windows 'preview' mode, 'setup' mode, e.t.c.

Boo!
stann65
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2004 00:28
thx man, i did not know it was so simple.

go onto my site
stann65
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2004 00:34
errm how exactly do i change it because i have renamed it with .scr at the end but it still shows as an application and not as a screensaver like the others.

go onto my site
Wik
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2004 00:57
Tools, Folder options, View, Uncheck "hide known file extentions"
Then rename it. You might want to recheck that so you dont mess things up.

zircher
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2004 00:59
Search the various forums and code snippet sections for info on how to make your program to act more like a screen saver.

Rob K
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2004 01:04
If you right click on the screensaver file after renaming it, there should be an "Install" option.

BlueGUI:Windows UI Plugin - All the power of the windows interface in your DBPro games. - Plus URL download, win dialogs.
Over 140 new commands
Dave J
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2004 08:18
Yup, the install option will mean you don't have to move it into the system folder as well.

"Computers are useless they can only give you answers."
Van B
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2004 10:53
Beware that everytime your screensaver will want to start, it will start - meaning you'll have umpteen copies of your saver running - you need to detect if it's already running when the program opens up, then quit out if it is.

Easy to do in VB using the previous instance command, but you'll have to make your own - hijacking the clipboard for instance, like when your program starts you'd check the clipboard for 'myscreensave', if it has that text already then it's running already, otherwise it's running for the first time, then set the clipboard to 'myscreensave' so each new instance knows.

Van-B

The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!.
stann65
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 16th Mar 2004 12:05
@wik thanks your way worked and i now have it running as a screensaver.

@ all thanks for the help i am going to keep playing around and set it to close after mouse move.

go onto my site

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-21 15:08:01
Your offset time is: 2024-09-21 15:08:01