Sorry your browser is not supported!

You are using an outdated browser that does not support modern web technologies, in order to use this site please update to a new browser.

Browsers supported include Chrome, FireFox, Safari, Opera, Internet Explorer 10+ or Microsoft Edge.

Newcomers DBPro Corner / Mysterious error...

Author
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2004 19:52 Edited at: 17th Mar 2004 20:12
Edit: THIS site is ready to download from, although the 150m one will be ready soon.

http://www.freewebs.com/lockheedmartin

http://nightskyproductions.150m.com

OK, some of you have seen my airplane game before. Anyways, I was adding powerups, and after some extra code for them, there was a strange problem. When I clicked "play game" in the menu, my computer started behaving like it had 512 BYTES of RAM. Like, it was REALLY slow. The music was on and off, and really strange. It took about a minute for the game to minimize after the Windows key was pressed, and I was forced to use the power button, because my computer froze completely when I tried to close out. This happened several times. However, now that I remed out all of the powerup code, the game works wonderfully! What is wrong? The website has the .dba, media, and .exe for download.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2004 20:30
maybe you inadvertantly committed some form of a stack overflow by having a routine accidentally call itself, or something in the game loop is happening every pass as opposed to once in a while - I'd reinspect the code that was added, but trace where it goes as well.
Painful without a proper debugger but alas it must be done.

"What the... Moooooooo!"
sponge008
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2004 20:35
OMG Freewebs is down, and 150m isn't letting me upload stuff. When I try to use the file uploader they have, it tells me it finished after it is, but NOTHING HAPPENS!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAHHHHH!!!!! What other hosts are there? Geocities doesn't work too well either. OMG!!!!!!!!! I attached the code.
Cyberflame
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 17th Mar 2004 23:34 Edited at: 17th Mar 2004 23:36
HOLY CRAP, USE SOME FOR LOOPS!
for i = 1 to 10
offset sprite i,20000,20000
next i

for i =1 to 10
if sprite hit(24,i)
hide sprite i
show sprite i+1
else
hide sprite i
show sprite i+1
endif
next i
endif

See, simple. I hated myself when I found out I could do this =P

PS: WEB1000.com + smartftp

WILL THE PEOPL NEVER FIGURE OUT THAT THINGS LIKE GOOGLE AND HELP FILES EXIST?????????????????

DANGIT NEO, YOU CHANGED THE CODE AND NOW THE MATRIX WONT TEXTURE RIGHT.
Tim Ballisto
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2004 00:25
that happens to me sometimes, i think the thing gets corrupted. copy the code, paste it into a different file, add a rem or something just to change it and save it as a differen file, then it works.

Programs for programmers.
CattleRustler
Retired Moderator
Years of Service
User Offline
Posted: 18th Mar 2004 04:25
so, what ever happened?

Home of the VB.NET Class Builder Utility - Demo available now!

Login to post a reply

Server time is: 2024-09-22 02:52:23
Your offset time is: 2024-09-22 02:52:23